StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
If I were Suzuki I'd be embarrassed by that cover photo. Look at those Suzuki supplied panniers that look like they'll be the first "hardware" to hit the pavement. Why can't they, or someone else, construct a right side pannier that curves around the muffler cover, or have a slimmer exhaust. Just look at the way the panniers on both sides stick way out there.
Also wet weight at 915 lbs; maybe there's lead in those boxes, Actually I could believe 519, but what is it really?
Over all I'm hoping for another 55,000 on my "old" DL650

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
It was a great review with 5 stars. Very few bikes get a full 5 in MCN. Makes me want one but I'll wait a couple years for a sweet deal on a used one.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
If I were Suzuki I'd be embarrassed by that cover photo. Look at those Suzuki supplied panniers that look like they'll be the first "hardware" to hit the pavement. Why can't they, or someone else, construct a right side pannier that curves around the muffler cover, or have a slimmer exhaust. /
They have. The Jesse bags are 6" narrower.

The review is VERY positive, almost effusive. And had some surprises.

1. YMMV because bikes that aren't broken in don't usually do well, but they averaged 46.8mpg versus 47.4 for the 04 they tested.
2. Peak power is up very slightly, from 62.0 to 63.5.
3. Torque was down slightly, from 42.2 to 41.7.
4. The standard model is 469.5 lbs versus 471.5 lbs for the 04.

There were ecstatic about the ride and handling, both on dirt roads and highways. On the highway it was "...as good as virtually any tourer we've ridden."

They noted that while the 800's are more powerful, they also weigh more and are only marginally quicker.

Bike Weight HP TQ 0-60 1/4mi MSRP
DL650 470 63.5 41.7 3.98 [email protected] $8,299
F800GS 489.5 74.2 50.6 [email protected] $12,900
800XC 503 80.1 48.5 [email protected] $11,799

Measured top speed was 107.8 (Adventure model with bags)/

In their overall review, they give bikes 1-5 stars in the categories of Engine, Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Handling, Ergonomics, Riding Impression, Instruments/Controls, Attention to Detail, Value, and Overall. Simply put, the DL650 is just about the highest rating I've seen them give, with 5 stars in all but 3 areas: 4 stars in braking due to an overactive ABS system and 4.5 stars in Attention to Detail and Value.

Because MCN doesn't take advertising and puts all the objective data in their tests (actual weight, dyno results, acceleration and braking performance), they tend to carry substantially more weight than some other magazines. I suspect that as we move towards high-season, these bikes are going to be hard to find.

I was at Naults Suzuki in Manchester NH last week and they have ordered a number of both models and they seem to be selling smartly.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If I were Suzuki I'd be embarrassed by that cover photo. Look at those Suzuki supplied panniers that look like they'll be the first "hardware" to hit the pavement.
In my opinion, there are much better luggage options out there. That oem set makes the bike 45 inches wide. My car is only 10 inches wider.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OEM side luggage 40" Out-to-Out

In my opinion, there are much better luggage options out there. That oem set makes the bike 45 inches wide. My car is only 10 inches wider.
My 'Soft' mfgr'd side cases are 40" wide, installed. I measured each 20" horizontally to the seat release key hole. On my DL650 K8.
Maybe the new '12' OEM's are larger, in depth?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Look at those Suzuki supplied panniers that look like they'll be the first "hardware" to hit the pavement.
There's lots a choices out there for luggage, I didn't care much for either of the factory choices, but was still able to purchase a superior product, worthy of all the attention and praise lavished on it by media, dealers, and customers alike.

I hear there are a few left, if you look hard.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I were Suzuki I'd be embarrassed by that cover photo. Look at those Suzuki supplied panniers that look like they'll be the first "hardware" to hit the pavement. Why can't they, or someone else, construct a right side pannier that curves around the muffler cover, or have a slimmer exhaust. Just look at the way the panniers on both sides stick way out there.
Also wet weight at 915 lbs; maybe there's lead in those boxes, Actually I could believe 519, but what is it really?
In the cover shot, you can see the sparks coming off the right peg feeler, which appears to be firmly against the pavement. The case isn't touching, but it is real close....

·
Registered
536 Posts
That oem set makes the bike 45 inches wide.
I understand the increased on-road hazards in that number. Got to say, though, I bought the ADV model with the width in mind. The boxes really do work well as seats and mini-coffee tables on longer trips and/or while camping.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Givi V35's do a good job of fitting close to the new V and wrap around the muffler nicely. Not the most capacity but surely the most aero and pretty nice looking......

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey guys, how wide is the bike with V35s? Was thinking of the original Givi carrier and E36s, but Byron's pic sure looks purdy.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I have an older wee (08) with Givi e360s. They stick out a bit and touch the ground at the same time as my peg-feeler; that's not really an issue since it only happened once in 4 years.

The extra width (once you get used to it) is a huge safety advantage as it greatly increases the bike's conspicuity. I never ride without them.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Hey guys, how wide is the bike with V35s? Was thinking of the original Givi carrier and E36s, but Byron's pic sure looks purdy.

It's kinda hard to get an accurate measurement across the back, they bulge out on the sides a bit, I'd say between 43 and 44 inches.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks Byronw!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Has MCN tested an NC700X yet? What mpg did they get?
No, but they just tested the 2012 Versys, avg 51.4 MPG.

I don't know what they did to their AL2, but I am getting 5 mpg or more better, vs. my old K7, same rider, (ME), same roads, etc.... YMMV

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
If I were Suzuki I'd be embarrassed by that cover photo. Look at those Suzuki supplied panniers that look like they'll be the first "hardware" to hit the pavement.
Wow - ya wonder who is taking those pictures, Mary Ann with the Shaky Hand?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts