StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my July issue of MCN. Noticed in Downtime files, a letter from a guy who had an 04 DL650 which burned regular gas. He was disappointed that the MCN article reported the new 650 needed premium fuel. What followed was a lengthy discussion about the adverse effects of long term detonation on a motor.

Well, I've been burn 87 octane in my 2012 Wee since new, however, I thought I'd better go check the owners manual. Sure enough, it says 87 octane. Email sent to MCN. I'm sure they will get many corrections. BTW, as I recall, they also stated the wet weight as over 900 pounds.

MCN is great magazine, just do your own homework.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes,

I saw that too....
Thought they were probably wrong re: the fuel.
That lil' 650 will run on pee.

Also, the wet weight and GVW were obviously reversed.
They list
Wet Weight / 915
GVR / 516.5

I still subscribe and like the mag.
I called the editor once, Dave Searle,... got right through. Nice guy.
Everybody makes mistakes... everybody's feeling the pinch of our "recoved economy".

Dmilan

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I noticed that too and was disappointed. So the manual does specify regular stuff after all. Good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just got my July issue of MCN. Noticed in Downtime files, a letter from a guy who had an 04 DL650 which burned regular gas. He was disappointed that the MCN article reported the new 650 needed premium fuel. What followed was a lengthy discussion about the adverse effects of long term detonation on a motor.

Well, I've been burn 87 octane in my 2012 Wee since new, however, I thought I'd better go check the owners manual. Sure enough, it says 87 octane.
Regular here is 85.5 so I have to use at least midgrade if I want 87 or higher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a small world. I read the same MCN Downtime Files section yesterday and promptly got my Owner's Manual out to double-check - sure enough, 87 required minimum. I'm surprised that they didn't catch it by doing a little research before responding to the question. Or maybe premium means different things to different folks? I also sent a friendly FYI e-mail to the editor about it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Regular here is 85.5 so I have to use at least midgrade if I want 87 or higher.
The 87 or higher is for typical elevations. In higher elevations where 85 is sold, it works fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
<<The 87 or higher is for typical elevations. In higher elevations where 85 is sold, it works fine.>>

Pat, that had always been my understanding until a few years ago when I bought a vehicle with a Ford Triton V-10 engine. In the engine owners manual it states that the recommended octane is 87, and then states that Ford does not believe in using a fuel with less than 87 octane at higher elevations. It's very specific about this.

Of course our V-stroms do not have Ford engines and my DL 650 owners manual isn't specific about this one way or another, simply stating "Your motorcycle required regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane rating of 87 ((R+M/2) method)." It does say regular but doesn't mention other than 87 octane, at least that I could find, so I find this quite confusing.

This is of particular importance to me because my home is at 5700 ft elevation and the town where I buy most of my gas is at 5280 ft (calls itself "the mile high town") and regular is 85 octane, mid-grade 87. Wanting to err on the side of caution, I've been explicitly following the Suzuki manual and using 87 but wondering if I'm wasting my money, which, being retired, I would rather not do.

Have you, or anyone else, perhaps discussed this issue with Suzuki for clarification?

Thanks for any further clarifying input. I need it! :eek:)

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

·
38,048 Posts
If an engine doesn't ping, there is enough octane. I use 85 on trips in the mountains and it works fine.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If an engine doesn't ping, there is enough octane. I use 85 on trips in the mountains and it works fine.
Do Suzuki uses knock sensors? I know the BM F800GS / F650GS twin do, and get really economical fuel consumption figures, which when reading tests the L2 gets close to but is still about 10% worse than the BM.

·
38,048 Posts
I use 85 in the mountains and don't wonder even a little bit. Our bikes do not have knock sensors. If the fuel is too low in octane, the pinging will be heard rather than the timing changed to compensate.

·
Registered
15,263 Posts
I use 85 on trips in the mountains and it works fine.

My bikes tended to get better mpg at altitude using 85 in Colorado too. Gotta love the place!

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Well, I've been burn 87 octane in my 2012 Wee since new, however, I thought I'd better go check the owners manual. Sure enough, it says 87 octane.
my operators manual doesnt say that. but i have 05 DL1000 so maybe that why. or maybe youre just not reading it right. my manual says, "at least 87 or higher", or iow's, regular automotive grade fuel. which makes sense to me, see-n how suzuki is a UJM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I mentioned above, I sent an FYI e-mail to MCN about the premium vs 87 issue in their magazine. I got the following response...

"Thanks for writing us. You’ll see our response in the August Letters section of MCN."

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got an email from MCN acknowledging the mistake also. A correction will be in the August issue.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Well, I've been burn 87 octane in my 2012 Wee since new, however, I thought I'd better go check the owners manual. Sure enough, it says 87 octane. Email sent to MCN. I'm sure they will get many corrections. BTW, as I recall, they also stated the wet weight as over 900 pounds.

MCN is great magazine, just do your own homework.
MCN is my favorite moto mag but they do get things wrong now and then. That's what happens when a mag includes actual technical topics rather than the useless garbage most of the others have in them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts