StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcycle Camping Class - Tonight REI Durham, NC 7:00PM

I'm planning on going. They are supposed to be going over new lightweight gear and packing techniques and what else I don't know, but it is supposed to be motorcycle specific. I hope to ride the Strom, but thunderstorms may cancel that idea. If you are interested come on out...plenty of spots left I think.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had thought about it also

Not able to go tonight, but I thought they were doing it at the Raleigh and Cary sites as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that's the case, I will have to look into it and save some commute. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not able to go tonight, but I thought they were doing it at the Raleigh and Cary sites as well.
You were right. Had it last night in Cary and Tuesday night in Raleigh. Looks like I'm still on for Durham tonight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds interesting, but I cannot make the event tonight. However, I thought I'd say hi as I'm also in the Holly Springs area. I'm new to this forum and new to the V-Strom. I just picked up my new DL650 a week ago. Nice to see there are some other riders in the area.

·
Registered
578 Posts
REI

Welcome Koslonc! Glad to have another local strommer!

I'll see if I can get the kitchen pass to go tonight. It's 50/50 at this point.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went to the class and low and behold there was a fully decked out V-Strom on display inside REI. Our very own E-Nigma was the host speaker and used his bike as a reference point.

Thanks for the class, I learned a few things that I hadn't previously put that much thought into, only bad thing was that I only got to talk to you a little bit before you got swamped with questions.

Good to see you again. I still couldn't put two and two together as to who you were. Maybe the fact that you didn't have your riding gear on, or maybe you had a new haircut that just threw me off?...who knows.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks ncdl1000. It was good to see you again as well.

We ended up with a good crowd, 18 people. I was impressed that most people rode in for the clinic.

If we do the clinic again I'll post it here.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry I missed it

I was looking forward to catching one. Being new to the camping thing I am sure I could come away with alot of good info. My first attempt at the moto-camping thing was just this past 4th of July weekend. I came to several realizations from that experience! Number 1 item learned, MAKE A LIST! The second item learned was to put shoes at the top of that list.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Number 1 item learned, MAKE A LIST! The second item learned was to put shoes at the top of that list.
It takes a long time to collect the gear that's right for you. You need an extra pair of shoes and something like that would never be on my list.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not an extra pair

It takes a long time to collect the gear that's right for you. You need an extra pair of shoes and something like that would never be on my list.
just one pair! I had my boots on for riding and was rushed the night before packing up. I rode to work the next day meaning to grab a pair I keep there, but forgot on my way out to hit the road. Now personally, a fat middle aged guy in swim trunks with riding boots can look sexy, but a few of the looks I got suggest it may not of been the right look for me!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Now personally, a fat middle aged guy in swim trunks with riding boots can look sexy, but a few of the looks I got suggest it may not of been the right look for me!
You mean like this?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
//
Thanks for the class, I learned a few things that I hadn't previously put that much thought into, only bad thing was that I only got to talk to you a little bit before you got swamped with questions.
//
Cliff notes?

I'm thinking of buying a titanium cook set so I don't have to lose any weight myself....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cliff notes?
A lot of it was common sense stuff like weight distribution, soft/hard luggage options, gear & clothing selection. But as you know some people have more common sense/knowledge than others, so I'm sure it was helpful for some to go over all of it.

Remembering a pair of shoes/sandles for around the campsite/trips to town was a topic of discussion believe it or not.

I learned that I need to get some waterproof stuff sacks (from the kayak dept.) I'm like a woman when it comes to overpacking so I will have to be better about that.

I believe E-Nigma went his whole trip out west with just one pair of underwear :D

Reading his ride report and those of others will help most because no trip usually goes as planned and we can all learn from the experiences of others.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I wouldn't take swimming trunks either. :thumbdown: :eek6:
Now personally, a fat middle aged guy in no swim trunks with riding boots can look sexy,...............

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was looking forward to catching one. Being new to the camping thing I am sure I could come away with alot of good info. My first attempt at the moto-camping thing was just this past 4th of July weekend. I came to several realizations from that experience! Number 1 item learned, MAKE A LIST! The second item learned was to put shoes at the top of that list.
Motorcycle camping is a little different then other types of camping. I have growed op backpacking all over the east coast but it does take a little bit more planning to motorcycle camp. It is almost like car camping and you run out of sights faster. Unlike backpacking where you can just pitch your tent up anywhere.The gear you need to take motorcylce camping is just about like the stuff you need to take with you when you backpack; small ,compact,and lightweight. So I have fit well into motorcycle camping because I use all the gear that I have for backpacking.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts