StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a motorcycle air bag from Hit-Air.
It is a brilliant item. It is a vest made out of advanced material that you wear over your riding gear. It has a lanyard that attaches to the bike and if you are thrown from your bike it inflates in 0.18 seconds. It protects the neck, sides, shoulders, back and tailbone area. It actually inflates and flips out over your tail bone area and below that you would normally be sitting on.

IMO it also protects the hips because of the size of the kidney and side protection.

It is really well designed and slides on over your jacket etc really nicely.

I got the high visibility version that is day glow green and has high reflecting stripes on it.

Also the vest is really nice because it still lets my Dianese mesh body armor jacket breath really well. It also has two velcro strips down the front of the vest so that you can add corresponding velcro to your jacket for an even snugger fit.

This is the one I bought:

Hit Air Airbag Vests and Jackets: Hit Air MLV-P Large Reflectors Motorcycle Light Airbag Vest (Black or Yellow)

The product has undergone a lot of crash test testing. The benefits are very clear.
Even the combination effect of helmet and neck part of the air bag vest is quite something.

There is some interesting test data done by the Japanese Automobile Institute.

http://www.eggparka.com/english/main.html click on the links on the page...

I think it's a really good item for ones safety.

Hit-Air makes jackets with them built in too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Better remember to remove that lanyard before getting off the bike, LOL. I have to wonder how well these things actually work. I could see how they could actually make you tumble in the event of a slide instaed of just sliding to a stop. Hopefully you will not have to write back giving us feed back on how it works but I guess its better to be prepared.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I bought one of these models about 3 or 4 years ago, (see link below).
Hit Air Airbag Vests and Jackets: Hit Air Vest-YS airbag reflective vest

Liked it so much I recently bought another one for the pillion.

My original HitAir vest has been through hell and it still is holding up extremely well.
Just saying, it was on the few "gimmicks" I've bought over the years that turned out to be a truly great investment. :thumbup:

Forget to un-clip the jacket???
Clipping in and out quickly becomes a natural reflex. Like a kick-stand, it's automatically what you do before lifting a leg.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Better remember to remove that lanyard before getting off the bike, LOL. I have to wonder how well these things actually work. I could see how they could actually make you tumble in the event of a slide instaed of just sliding to a stop. Hopefully you will not have to write back giving us feed back on how it works but I guess its better to be prepared.
No problem if you forget to unclip. The lanyard needs about a 30lb pull to activate.

Your not going to set it off by accident, but even if you do it's only $ 18 for a new cartridge.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have to admit, that's pretty dang neat. Still skeptical about benefits but I could see how it could possibly help. Are there any test that have been conducted to show results from crashes?

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Top level

Top level bike racers use them, although I believe they're built into the leathers. Obviously, a really nasty high-side will still result in broken extremities, but nowadays a more typical crash is a low-side when front grip fails, so the sliding and tumbling results in less bruising. On the segment I saw on a recent MotoGP program, they indicated the airbags stay inflated for about 5 seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Hit air inflation rate is 0.25 sec, helite is 0.10... Add to that you must add travel time for lanyard length. Even at a moderate 36km/he impact speed the additional time for deployment is 1.5m

Hit air is only 1/2 the price of helite though.

The best d air electronic system at 0.04 sec full deployment time. But it cost more than $2000

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
How would it compare in a side by side comparison with modern armour?
I've got one of these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/evs-comp-suit You quickly adapt and it only modestly interferes with airflow.
I've been lucky and apart from a few dirt bike cuts and bruises my only serious injury was the motorcyclist classic and widely suffered broken collarbone. Your vest does not seem to protect against that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts