Strom Trooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last weekend, I decided to go for a shakedown ride on my V2, to the Moto Guzzi Nationals, near Keene, NH.
It was a beautiful long weekend for riding and camping out, meeting up with friends, who also rally rats.
We took interstates on the way up, but stayed over an extra day because of rain, and enjoyed some of NH's, Mass., & Conn.'s small roads, on our way back to NJ.
Lunch near Max's BMW, along rt.7

Last day, woke up to expected rain, so broke camp, previous night and slept under a covered area.

John and Ed, from Pa., heading home during rain.

Rider's came from quite far

John from Pa., packing up for a wet ride home

Big Ed, heading home

About 250 campers showed up

Gotta have a campfire

Lunch at one of NH's general stores, bougth a strawberry rubarb pie

Chilling in my new tent

Guzzi Gurls

Just "window shopping"

Bikes, friends, and food

Nice outdoor cedar showers

John has this camping thing down pat

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
I've been to a Guzzi rally or three. Nice folks. I noticed the Kwick Kamp trailer tent in the back ground. I still have mine but got rid of the sidecar rig I had to pull it.
I thought my Wee looked burdened when camping. Your beemer buddy makes my packing look efficient and precise.:biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been to a Guzzi rally or three. Nice folks. I noticed the Kwick Kamp trailer tent in the back ground. I still have mine but got rid of the sidecar rig I had to pull it.
I thought my Wee looked burdened when camping. Your beemer buddy makes my packing look efficient and precise.:biggrinjester:
Yep, Guzzi folks are great people, no snootiness, like some bikers.
My buddy and me, both are working on lightening our loads. It's rough with tent, sleeping pad and bag. More bulk then weight. I'm really working on less tools, because of their weight. That was part of what this trips intension. We're heading out west in a few weeks, so really trying to sort things out for a five to six week ride.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
Heck, that huge garage tent would suit both of you. Just bring one. He has the master BR and you have the garage!
All of my gear fits in a Rev Pack U bag on the seat and serves as a back rest.. For excess I could bring along a Kelty sun shade. It only add another 10 pounds or so.
getting clothes that wash and dry quickly helps too. You could shower in some garments and they'd be dry and fresh for the next day...or just go scuzzy for a few days.
If you offend someone while reeking no big deal. Not like you are going to see them again 8-9 states away!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heck, that huge garage tent would suit both of you. Just bring one.
getting clothes that wash and dry quickly helps too. You could shower in some garments.
You got that right, this tent is huge. I almost bought the solo unit in the same model, but went with what a few of the bikers we camp with, had and endorsed.
Previously, I've only used two different, two man tents, which were from my hunting days. These was the first time I used my new "garage", and have to admit, being able to stand up, had a lot of plus'. I don't have to carry the 13lbs., and it does roll up to a more than reasonable size.
I insist on my own personal tent, especially on the upcoming, four week, plus trip. Even if it were a female accompanying me, I might stick with that, come sleep time. Many friend, romances, and marriages end on extended trips like this.
I've got to get creative with my new sleeping pad. It rolls up decent, but it's wide. It's gonna have to get mounted up/down, rather than across. Previously, I just used a thin air mattress, but pain in my right hip, would wake me up a couple of times a night. I think old age is taking it's toll. The new one, is better than my bed.
I'll be experimenting the next couple of weeks, and will come up with something more efficient.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Was there any Moto Guzzis at the Moto Guzzi Nationals? :laugh2:

Didn't see any in your pictures...

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
I have the Synmat7 sleeping pad. packs small and is big on comfort. Kelty 20 degree bag that also packs small. I got a bag liner that can be used on the hot nights or augment the Kelty on cold nights. Versatility in little packages.
My tent is a REI Half Dome 2plus. a bit bigger than my worn out Half Dome 2.
I've seen those portable Condo's you have at rallies. Nice tent, just too big for me.
The REI folding chair is a minimal package too.
I've got room for other 'chit' in my U pack that way.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spec;330122ur5 said:
Was there any Moto Guzzis at the Moto Guzzi Nationals? :laugh2:
Didn't see any in your pictures...
LOL, our group only had one attending, but just about everyone else had a Guzzi. We support any clubs rally, but it seems most are BMW's.

I have the Synmat7 sleeping pad. packs small and is big on comfort. Kelty 20 degree bag that also packs small. I got a bag liner that can be used on the hot nights or augment the Kelty on cold nights. Versatility in little packages.
My tent is a REI Half Dome 2plus. a bit bigger than my worn out Half Dome 2.
I've seen those portable Condo's you have at rallies. Nice tent, just too big for me.
The REI folding chair is a minimal package too.
I've got room for other 'chit' in my U pack that way.
i picked up a sweet 20 degree North Face Furnace at Cabela's Bargin Den for $90, just before we went to the Guzzi Rally. For a mummy it really isn't restrictive. I use a Kermit chair and feel it's worth it's little more bulkiness.
I'm really satisfied with the Condo, after using it for this rally. I was messing with the bike and loading today, and will continue whittling away at it, the next couple of weeks, along with installing fresh tires for the Co. & Mont. rallies. The BMW nationals in Billings really should be a hoot.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
I was hoping to do Paonia and Billings but I can't leave the wifey alone that long or be that far away.
Last year in Paonia there were several DL's, like wise the Nat in St Paul.
I give my buddy with his Stelvio a lot of static cus it's the old one with poor mileage and a puny tank.We have to stop a lot.Oh, it breaks down too and parts are never near or work cheap.
He's thinking maybe a Tenere'.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was hoping to do Paonia and Billings but I can't leave the wifey alone that long or be that far away.
Last year in Paonia there were several DL's, like wise the Nat in St Paul.
I give my buddy with his Stelvio a lot of static cus it's the old one with poor mileage and a puny tank.We have to stop a lot.Oh, it breaks down too and parts are never near or work cheap.
He's thinking maybe a Tenere'.
Too bad you can't make, would like to have met ya. One of those DL's was probably my buddies. I'll be meeting them at Paonia and Billings.
I took a trip yesterday to Delaware's Cabela's(nice tax free state) and did well in their bargain cave. Found a great Sea to Summit sleeping pad marked down from $160 to $75 and it's probably gonna replace my $200 pad. It's very compact and unbelievably firm.
The icing on the cake was a MSR Whisperlite stove marked down from $99 to $44, but will probably still bring my Jetboil Jule.
I was hoping to get some tires a Motorcycle Gear in Bear, De., but the only ones they had to fit my bike were Anakee's, that were about $50 to high for the pair.
Don't be too hard on your buddy about his Stelvio(lol), they are a little finicky.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
The Stelvio is an OK ride. Seemed a bit cumbersome to me but he likes the way it handles. The problem isn't that it is having problems after 50K miles, it's that service is so funky at the local Ducati/Guzzi dealer. Parts are warehoused in some far stretch of Albania and the camel train only makes a once monthly trip so the bike sits and gathers dust while waiting for the parts.
Good score on the camping farkles. I'm still using an old Svea 123 stove. Probably 50 years old, been to Alaska by Cessna a couple times.
Buddy thought he's get one but the thought of gas scared him and he got a Jet Boil and promptly burned it up the first time he used it. I have a large reservoir of gas on the bike and Gas will ignite down to -45 degrees. Try that with those little canisters. It looks like a museum piece but I like it.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Stelvio in post #8 was a guy who had picked it up as a left over, for $14,000, but like you say parts and dealers are way too far and in-between.
My Jetfoil is coming today, along with a set of Metzler Tourance's, on the Fed Ex truck. I'm curious as to how your buddies burnt up.
I also have a Svea 123, which is what I used at the last rally. It stills works as great as it did, in my backpacking and hunting days(1973), combined with the cooking kit, it is a compact setup. Curiosity makes me do strange things. The combo still goes for $150 on Ebay, seems to be a collectors item.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
I think I saw the SVEA in the Aerostitch catalog for 100-129 or something? On Google from 29 to 100 bucks.
My buddy burned up his Jboil by putting another model pot on his burner. The guy is an engineer too. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the older ones seem to be collectors items, but you have to find someone thats willing to pay big money for one.
I'll have to remember to be careful with my Joule and not make a bomb out of it. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts