StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received and installed the Motech center stand from Twisted Throttle.
If you covet a center stand I can recommend this, it looks quite sturdy and is relatively easy to install. The bike goes up just about easier than any bike I've ever had with a centerstand, just moderate foot pressure seems to do it.
Some install tips.
For the right side have a long extension and 6mm allen socket available for the top nut, very difficult if not impossible to reach in there on the right side with the exhaust in the way to get at the top nut.
I installed the right side plate first then found the best thing to do seemed to be to install the top bolt loosely and then get the stand lined up in the pivots before you attempt to install the other bolts. The fit is relatively precise and getting the spacers in behind the plates with the bolts through them is the typical two to three handed affair but not that bad.
As for the dreaded spring, it is a stiff rascal. First off don't try to install it with the stand down as i suspect many do, then you are fighting its full strength. I did it with stand in up position with a long flat blade screwdriver and it slid on the second try. I don't know that it matters but I hooked the spring on the top pin and used the screwdriver as lever on the pin that is attached to the stand, seemed easier to me.
Nice piece of gear, clearly is going to make servicing and washing the bike easier.

·
Registered
566 Posts
A good way to install the springs when mounting this stand is to use a zip tie to hold the stand up. Then, get a short piece of chain like the type used to hold up a shop light. Put the chain around the springs and pull until you can slip them around the pin. After they are located in the right position, just cut the link of the chain and remove. :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just got mine in the mail today and installed it in just under an hour! A word of advice....Make sure you have the washers on the bolts before you get them started :evil: Fortunately I caught myself on the first bolt after messing around with trying to get the threads started for a couple of minutes. Fortunately it wasn't too painful. I opted to start with the left side first. I actually had the stand part sandwiched between the two mounting brackets and was able to rest the bracket of the side I wasn't working on against the dogbone until I was ready to work on it. I installed the top bolts on each side (left side then right side) then got the bottom bolts installed. My wife came home during the 3rd bolt installation and she knew that things were going alright when she didn't hear me cursing a mile a minute. :wink: I had her help me out with the springs. I had her on the left side of the bike holding the stand in its "up" position while I used a pair of pliers to pull the springs over the lug on the stand. I also opted to secure the top of the springs first then pull them down over the stand, sucuring the small spring first. Seemed like the logical way to do it. I too am pleased with the build quality, feel & fit of this piece and yes, it is easy to lift the bike up onto the stand. This is going to make chain maintenance a breeze. :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Center stand springs are not a problem if you use an old BMW trick: Put a small bolt in a vise, hook 1 end of the spring to the bolt, hook a large screw driver or other pry bar to the other end and expand the spring. Fill the spaces between the coils with pennys until the spring stays expanded. Hook the spring on the center stand (stand up) and pull down and the pennys will fall out. No bloody body parts.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I made a spring puller by bending a short hook in the end of a 1/4" rod, then looping the other end into a handle and welding it in place. I had skinned too many knuckles in the past trying to pull springs with vice-grips and the like.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used an automotive brake tool (the kind for drum brakes, remember those?) which has a neat hook on the end and slid the spring right on.
Hey, I haven't been collecting tools for 41 years cause I thought they looked neat in my tool box :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Further said:
I used an automotive brake tool (the kind for drum brakes, remember those?) which has a neat hook on the end and slid the spring right on.
Hey, I haven't been collecting tools for 41 years cause I thought they looked neat in my tool box :D
Doesn't it feel great when you have some quirky job to do and you have the perfect tool for it? I built a wooden swingset from a kit the other day and after four days and thousands of fasteners, I was short one stinking bolt. I dug up an extra bolt that was too long and attacked it with a Dremel tool and a thread die and got the job done. Tools rock. ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
slash6 said:
Center stand springs are not a problem if you use an old BMW trick: Fill the spaces between the coils with pennys until the spring stays expanded. Hook the spring on the center stand (stand up) and pull down and the pennys will fall out.

Not being a BMW owner, I have to do this using washers! LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts