StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a used Wee Strom, but didn't know what the best year was to buy. As with all cars/motorcycles, there are certain years that are more desirable than others. There appears to be a number of upgrades for the 2007 model year (dual sparkplugs, ect), but I can't confirm. If any is an expert on the difference in models years and can reccomend which ones I shoudl look at please let me know. Thank you.

-Skeezix

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
2007 and up, went to double spark plugs and most seem to get better gas mileage from that year on.

Ron W.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. Thank you for your responses as well as the link. I also wanted to ask this: it seems the Wee hasn't had a real update in a while. Do any of you know of plans by Suzuki to restyle the bike or significantly change anything anytime soon?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Excellent. Thank you for your responses as well as the link. I also wanted to ask this: it seems the Wee hasn't had a real update in a while. Do any of you know of plans by Suzuki to restyle the bike or significantly change anything anytime soon?
I haven't heard of any significant or even insignificant changes in the near future. Simply put, for what it is, and the price point it's sold at, it is hard to beat. And I don't see Suzuki messing with major changes to a bike that seems to fit its somewhat limited niche very well as-is.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There really isn't much to change with the bike. It already has 6 gears and FI. That seems to be the biggest complaint about any other bike out there...at least in the ADV world. They could do some cosmetic changes, but I doubt it will be any time soon with the state of the world economy. Rumor has it they are going to recycle 2009 bikes for 2010. With that being said you want a 2008 flat black wee because it is by far the fastest, lightest, and gets the best mileage out of all of them....just kidding of course!!

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Rumor has it they are going to recycle 2009 bikes for 2010.
It's no rumour. 2010 models are available for sale in most countries except the USA and they are the same as the 2009 and therefore the same as the 2008 models with the exception of the little plate that states the build date and the colours.

To the OP.

My first choice would be a 2008 for the extra alternator capacity.
Next choice 2007 for the dual plugs and better fuel economy.
If price was an issue I'd just buy the best one I could for the money I had regardless of year.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
IMHO the most important update was ABS in 2007. Anything from then on would be a good find depending on miles, condtion, service history, farkles and cost. You'll get another 25 watts from the 2008 charging system but it may not matter to you as there are work arounds for power management needs.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Whoopdie f*#kin' do!!

the most significant improvment ofer the years on the Wee is alternator output, and that can be very important consideration

08 & up have 400 watts
Not near half enough to be usefull.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
In '07 you got two less hp but 3 - 5 more mpg, two more spark plugs, balance the injection only without special software, a longer swingarm, optional ABS and most importantly a different color.

Bill

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
the most significant improvment ofer the years on the Wee is alternator output, and that can be very important consideration

08 & up have 400 watts
Can older bikes be easily upgraded to the new alternator?

·
Registered
654 Posts
The reason I like the 2006 and older models is because they don't have two plugs per cylinder (excessive) nor do they have a huge catalytic converter (heavy, bulky).

The only thing interesting to me is more capacity on the alternator, but I've never seen an electrical capacity problem, ever, with mine. I run a GPS, heated clothing and grips when required, and a cell phone charger.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
2007 and later models have ABS available (#1 reason for me), better fuel economy and greater alternator output starting in '08.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah.....ABS seems like a really good idea. I wonder why the Strom 1000 doesn't offer that as an option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts