StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member posting for the first time.

The choices for topcases is huge, and a bit overwhelming to me.

I have the means to buy the "best" quality, and that can be a "squishy" term. Best to me includes a comfortable backrest for my wife when we ride two-up.

I see many pictures of fitment on this site, but little in the way of discussion about what the SO (Sig Other) thinks about the ride.

I'm asking for recommendations of top case equipment that includes what a passenger might consider to be "comfortable".

I guess I should mention other things that would be important to me for selection. I'm very handy with tools, so a complicated install does not shoo me away, but ease of install is a big plus (bewildering array of mounting plate adaptors). Eventual install of panniers / side cases planned, so I would likely desire their side cases in future. 45L+ top case is where I'm leaning, might settle for 35L+ if 45L too big to provide a comfortable backrest. Lighted in back for brake / turn signals. She likes "organic" looking moulded, rounded cases. I prefer square (TraK-like) for the utility and increased storage capacity, but I also think the pics I've seen of the square ones would likely be very uncomfortable for a passenger, with or without a back rest pad (and I could very well be wrong about that).

I bought the non-adventure model, stock.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have the OEM Suzuki (Trax) cases. My wife finds the top case comfortable to lean against (she does have an armoured jacket with foam back pad and this pad probably provides all the comfort needed). I also purchased the foam back rest that fits on the top of the case acting to shield the pillion from the case hinges, although it may not have been needed. A lot may depend on rider size though....for your reference...she is 5ft 6, 125 pounds....I am 6ft, 175 pounds.

·
Registered
15,266 Posts
Folks with different brands of factory boxes have had the latching mechanisms fail. Some after market units are not inspiring in this regard either. I wouldn't trust a top box that wasn't bolted to the base as a back rest. Lots of stress when being pushed on by the passenger. It's always embarrassing to loose a passenger.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the Givi E45 topcase. I did not buy the backrest that goes with it because my wife's jacket has a backpad in it.
I wanted her to try that first before spending money on the topcase backrest.
She's comfortable with just the pad in her jacket when she leans on the topcase, so no further money needed to be spent.
She doesn't lean that heavily on the case however...it just provides a little support for her instead of having nothing there at all.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Agree with Hckioki
Passenger does not really exert much pressure on the top case and tends to lean forwards. A good jacket with foam backpad is probably all that is needed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the factory trax box on order so as to match the side cases. Had a JC Whitney box on my 09 with no pad. Wife never complained about it. She leaned forward most of the time. She also always wears a riding jacket so there is some padding in it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Agree with Hckioki
Passenger does not really exert much pressure on the top case and tends to lean forwards. A good jacket with foam backpad is probably all that is needed.
My thoughts too, plus a back rest uses up wiggle space for the pillions area. I'll be putting on some erosion tape though in case the missus wants to lean back onto the H & B Gobi top box.

·
Registered
103 Posts
top box

have had a number of top box,s , have had one with a pad on it my wife did not like ,said it pushed her to far ahead . Have rode 10s of thousands of miles with out the backrest pad with no complaint,s. My wife also wears a jacket with back Armour.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife routinely uses an armored jacket, too. ATGATT.

...and thanks so much for the kindness of the replies. It's a very different experience from another forum (for a different motorcycle type, a sports bike) that I attempt to interact on. Very different...

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Another factor - I use the inexpensive, but nice, Bestem 929 top box, and modified the mounting plate so the box sits about 2" further back than it 'normally' would. I suppose one could do this with any top-box. This provides my Wife with a roomier sitting area, and she can still lean back onto the box when she's in sightseeing mode. Her riding jacket back pad (she uses a nice semi-meshy Scorpion ladies riding jacket) is really quite sufficient for comfort.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been looking at the different posts and haven't found what I'm looking for. Lead me in the right direction. Does anyone make a tie down that will fit the brackets on the lids of the factory Suzuki Adventure boxes? Or are they strong enough to tie too?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 WeeStrom Passenger Backrest(s)

I know I'm a little late on this thread but...
I designed these arrangements for my '12 Wee and had them fabricated by my local metal shop.
I opted for the rack instead of a top case because I frequently carry odd cargo due to my job. It is 18" wide and 8 1/2" deep.
I also had the simple bracket made that is intended to bolt right onto the threaded inserts of the stock rack. I plan on having both powder coated the same gun metal grey.
The backrest itself is a Saddlemen Contoured Sissy Bar Pad.
My wife is 5'4" and it seems to work quite well for her.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know I'm a little late on this thread but...
I designed these arrangements for my '12 Wee and had them fabricated by my local metal shop.
I opted for the rack instead of a top case because I frequently carry odd cargo due to my job. It is 18" wide and 8 1/2" deep.
I also had the simple bracket made that is intended to bolt right onto the threaded inserts of the stock rack. I plan on having both powder coated the same gun metal grey.
The backrest itself is a Saddlemen Contoured Sissy Bar Pad.
My wife is 5'4" and it seems to work quite well for her.
Not too shabby!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Twisted Throttle catalog has a picture on page 146 of a DrySpec D28 being used as an expansion bag... tied onto the top of Trax sidecases like we have stock - rebranded - from Suzuki. The part # looks like DSL.D28.1000 and the price listed is $69.99. From the picture, the D28 fits perfectly on the Trax lid and ties down using straps through the lid tie-down brackets.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
SAM, you really should get that rack powdercoated. it's very nice and functional and looks good on the bike, burt get rid of the rust! to the original poster, get a CORBIN and backrest. your wife will love it after it's broken in. or buy a GOLDWING :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts