StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so while i wait to see the mileage on my next tank, I need to get this gremlin figured out.

it's been happening for while, but now I have a clear idea of the behavior.

short ride today, 30 minutes in town. I noticed that the engine is reving up on me while i'm stopped at lights ! I slow down for the light, stop, put the bike in neutral, revs go down to ~1400. About 10 seconds later, engine revs up to 2500.

I've also noticed this if I just have the bike on the stand. Start the bike, wait for it to warm up and settle down to 1400. Rev the engine, tach goes up and stops at 2500.

what the hell? I've lubricated my throttle cable. I'm making sure my hand isnt resting on the throttle.

what can this be?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I'll throw out a guess!

A gremlin!:yikes:

A real guess this time = throttle position sensor

Don't really know all of the symptoms, so take it FWIW...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Start with lowering your hot idle to 1200-1300.
Check for linkage binding and vacume leaks
Check TPS

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I've lubricated my throttle cable.
I think the cables are in a teflon sheath and do not require lube. Anyway, check the cable adjustment. For testing, over-loosen the cables, remove the side panel, and with a long screwdriver or other long feeler, check that the cables are actually loose when the bike is on the stand and idling with this behavior.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The idle setting is the usual culprit. There should be a setting between 1100-1300rpm that won't die or hang. The hot/fast idle can also be set wrongly. Finally, there may be no free space in the throttle linkage if a TBS is done badly.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
As others have said, idle setting. You may need to set it as low as 1100 rpm.

Have you played with it recently? If so, that's it.

A bad throttle-body sync also impacts the idle.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I had this issue on another bike so take this idea for what it is worth. After you exhaust the above ideas...check and see if the bike has an IAC (intake air control) valve. This gizmo controls fast idle on EFI bikes.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all your input. taking it in for service next week.

where would the IAC be located?

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
Still sounds like an idle setting... If it's a bit high it will hang up and give a wierd idle...(high).....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well , problem solved, you guys were right, idle was set too high. not sure why is showed 1400 hot then went up, but i adjusted it the problem is gone

thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts