StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 DL650. It's fantastic. I didn't want the 1000 due to the weight, handling, relative lack of engine smoothness, and fuel economy.

But I still crave a bit more power from my 650.

What are good ways to increase the power?

I've heard that slipon cans can increase horsepower by around 1-3...is this true? Which cans are recommended?

What about a turbo or supercharger? Anyone have opinions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who's zorkaduck? Anyway...no...not kidding. It would be nice to have more passing power at highway speeds. I have a 42 mile commute each way, 5 days a week.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Who's zorkaduck? Anyway...no...not kidding. It would be nice to have more passing power at highway speeds. I have a 42 mile commute each way, 5 days a week.
I have the same commute (distance) that you do, 5 days a week. Put a 16 tooth counter sprocket... and below 65 drop it to 5th if you really need more power and zing it. I'm a big guy, and my bike has plenty of zip--- it cruises at 6000 rpm and goes upwards of 10k daily. Don't be afraid to rev the bike up, the power band ~6.5k - 9.5k gets the job done.

Not a hot rod of course, but I had a guy on a SV650 play with me on the way to work yesterday morning, and we were pretty even 3rd-5th gear coming out of an S curve. I was impressed being the DL is heavier, different cams, etc.

NR552 almost 37k, 225 miles a week.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did you do your research before you bought the bike?

While the DL650 is a versatile bike, it is not designed for speed.

When you put a turbo or supercharger on it, please post pics!

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
It is what it is.....and it aint what it aint!!!!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
To answer your question, there are no mods available at this time to provide any noticable increase in power. Cans might give you 1 or 2 ponies, but they are pretty expensive ponies. Cans basically save you some weight and add a new sound.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have a 2009 DL650. It's fantastic. (4) I didn't want the 1000 due to the weight, handling, relative lack of engine smoothness, and fuel economy.

1. But I still crave a bit more power from my 650.

2. What are good ways to increase the power?

3. What about a turbo or supercharger? Anyone have opinions?
1. You bought the wrong bike.

2. As mentioned NONE

3. Foolish waste of money

4. You should have bought the Vee instead of making up excuses for why the 650 was what you wanted.:sifone::sifone:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have the same commute (distance) that you do, 5 days a week. Put a 16 tooth counter sprocket... and below 65 drop it to 5th if you really need more power and zing it. I'm a big guy, and my bike has plenty of zip--- it cruises at 6000 rpm and goes upwards of 10k daily. Don't be afraid to rev the bike up, the power band ~6.5k - 9.5k gets the job done.

Not a hot rod of course, but I had a guy on a SV650 play with me on the way to work yesterday morning, and we were pretty even 3rd-5th gear coming out of an S curve. I was impressed being the DL is heavier, different cams, etc.

NR552 almost 37k, 225 miles a week.
Putting a 16T countersprocket on a Wee will achieve the opposite effect to what you want. Your stock countersprocket is already a 15T.

Check out this website. It offers the ONLY mod that has been proven to appreciably improve the horsepower of the Wee. www.sellyourDL650youWeenieandbuyaV.com

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You may wish to check out the 2010 Canadian only DL825. It is 22lbs lighter than the Wee and has 12 more hp than the Vee.

We get all the good stuff up here.

Cheers :var_39:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1. You bought the wrong bike.

2. As mentioned NONE

3. Foolish waste of money

4. You should have bought the Vee instead of making up excuses for why the 650 was what you wanted.:sifone::sifone:
The 1K is better for highways, the 650 is better for city and dirt. I'm looking to meet halfway somehow.

It's starting to look like a supercharger might be a reasonable answer.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Zlock Racing up Seattle way can sell you a big bore kit that will stretch the 650 to 744. That said, when I contacted them, they told me the kit works best on the first gen 650 as the new 650 (post 2003) has had a couple of rod bearing failures for them. If you don't change the rods you don't have to open the case, but I think to do it right you would go through the whole motor and build it to take the extra hp. I seriously considered doing this to my 650, but in the end I went for a 1000. You would be looking at about $1000 in parts plus labor, plus having to tear into the case to address the bearing issues. Zlock says ~80 hp for a street engine is viable, with head work and/or cam changes you can get more.

http://www.zlockracing.com/new_products.html

Best-
Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info...though I don't think I'm enthusiastic enough to have my engine shipped and machined.

What about a K&N air filter? Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Go to Dale Walker's Holeshot Performance website, He has a slip on conversion that adds about 7 hp and 2-3 ft/lb of torque more at max output, BUT beefs it up a lot in the lower and upper rpm ranges relative to stock.

Take a look!

http://www.holeshot.com/

·
Registered
61 Posts
Putting a 16T countersprocket on a Wee will achieve the opposite effect to what you want. Your stock countersprocket is already a 15T.

Check out this website. It offers the ONLY mod that has been proven to appreciably improve the horsepower of the Wee. www.sellyourDL650youWeenieandbuyaV.com
Trust me, I understand exactly what the difference between a 16 and a 15 tooth... The point being on a 40 mile + a day commuter the 16 tooth would be better -- 16 tooth at higher speeds makes the revs more relaxed-- "IF" you need more passing power, simply drop down to 5th and rev it... 5th gear with a 16 tooth, is a tad lower in the final drive ratio than 6th and the stock 15 tooth.

If he had a 10 mile daily commute, hell, get a 14 tooth and make sure to lean forward to keep the front end down ! :rolleyes:

*threadjack*

I think it's time for a DL1000 vs. DL650 shoot out.

Not some magazine bs, but a true real life owner shoot out.

Ride a predetermined course, including fuel stops, gear, etc. Fastest overall time, longest range, etc. Back to back.

Then do it 2 up. Same equipment on each bike, etc.

500-600 miles or so.

What a write up that would be. It would be a hoot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did he have warm hands? :eek:

HA!

I've had a few SV650 guys ask about the Vstrom though. One had just bought a new SV650, loved the bike to play on, but couldn't handle the ergos for commuting. I let him sit on the Vstrom... and his first words "Sh!$ I think I bought the wrong bike" :cool: LMAO.

I told him it's been a great bike, dependable, and nobody wants to steal it :^)
I suggested he keep an eye out for a used one, and pick one up.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I think it's time for a DL1000 vs. DL650 shoot out.

Not some magazine bs, but a true real life owner shoot out.
We've tried that over and over. It just erupts into a partisan, name calling, mud slinging, insulting festival of intolerance!

Yup. We need more of them. They're a riot! :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts