StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since 1980, I have only owned and ridden 750cc -1200cc bikes and over this time I have become used to the power the extra cc's bring. And I miss it! More and more I think of how to achieve some more performance without changing bikes and there is very little discussion on this topic. Is 60hp an upper limit without sacrificing reliability? Surely not.
If I were to add an aftermarket exhaust system what HP would I expect to gain and how much weight would I expect to loose. That would be a starting point. What have other Strommers done in this quest?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
If I were to add an aftermarket exhaust system what HP would I expect to gain and how much weight would I expect to loose. That would be a starting point. What have other Strommers done in this quest?
You would add about 2 to 3 hp and your wallet would loose a considerable amount of weight.

For those riders that want more power then what the Dl-650 can put out, they have purchased motorcycles with larger displacement motors mounted in them.

That's kind of why there are so many choices of bikes to choose from on the market.

B.L.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Aside from bolt-ons and Farkles, the DL-650 "is what it is". I have come to accept it. I also understand your frustration. When I bought my bike this year I made a conscious choice to give up those things negatives that come with the extra CC's, weight and mileage. that said I think 800CC would be the perfect engine size. My other bike is a Harley with about 107hp and I hardley ever ride it anymore. My Wee is way more fun.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
not trying to be a smart ass, but you could do a glitch WTF, lose 10kg from the bike, get rid of those unnecessary junk.

Lose weight, not sure what your starting weight is, but following would be your goal - this cost you nothing and might be appreciated by the better half and/or your health insurance people:

Pedrosa: 104 lb, 5'2"
Elias: 121 lb, 5'4"
Melandri: 128 lb, 5'6"
Stoner: 128 lb 5'7"
Capirossi: 130 lb, 5'4"
Rossi: 130 lb, 5'11"
Hayden: 150 lb, 5'8"
Gibernau: 154 lb, 5'9"

If do a glitch WTF and match gibernau's weight - it's 35kg OFF - that's 10% off the combined current weight - surely thing would go faster for me !!! :)

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Well I have had a superbike since 1976 KZ1000

The last previous to the VEE was a GIXAH with 157 rwhp even the Vee only has 89, so that was a big hit. I like to pass when and where it suits me and I new i would not be happy with 60 RWHP of the WEE.

I know you said besides another bike but I am sure that with dickering etc a Wee plus 1000 would get you a VEE.

I may be blowing smoke but it may be moot for me as I hope to keep it to 20 over this year to protect my commercial driving license

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The biggest gain I've seen is 10hp on Blair's bike. It had an SV cam swap, a new exhaust and maybe a different air filter plus a Power Commander. That's a lot of money for less power than most 600cc sport bikes. If want the power of a 750-1200cc bike, the best thing to do is to get one.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
There are a few options out there. I know that I have seen at least one kit out there that will take the the 650 out to around a 740. All it takes is money. I am sure as long as you didn't hotrod the kit to death you would end up with a nice bump in hp and torque and still have the reliability.

Here is one that offers a big bore/stroker kit for the 650.

Big Bore/ Stroker Kits/ Falicon Crankshaft Components, Inc. 727.797.2468

·
Registered
562 Posts
I love my '05 Wee and can't see selling it. I am well aware of its power and performance and most of my riding with it is with my lovely bride as we travel down the back roads of Kentucky. This bike is good for that and power is not an issue ever.

But there are times I miss the power of a bigger bike. So, I just went out and picked up a 1050 Triumph Tiger, problem solved. The Tiger has a lot in common with the Wee. Riding position, feel, handling. Its just got twice the brakes, more suspension, and twice the power. So, now I have "Mild" and "Wild". Beside, riding the Triumph makes me appreciate the Wee's strengths, riding the Wee makes me appreciate the Tiger's.

Nearly fifty years with bikes has taught me a thing or two, one of them is not to take a good thing and screw it up trying to "improve" it. the Wee shines at what it does best, run well and for a long, long time trouble free. Why mess with success?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Zlock racing has a 744cc big bore kit. Blair from SV Racing has a cam and exhaust and power commander kit. Each are probably around $1000 each and you could possibly do both kits. Either kit seems to have minimal effect of reliablity, but hard to say what the longevity might be if you tried both.

Zlock Racing

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I added an Akrapovic and KNfilter not looking for for extra hp but more for weight reduction(12#s)/looks and it's awesome sound. I've been very pleased with the results in that it makes me feel like I'm on a big bore bike and I probably run a little higher in the rpm's just to hear the motor sing. I know myself well enough that I do not need a more powerful bike.

G

·
My cynical side has to point out that when you take a little wee engine and tart it up, there is always a cost attached.
I believe (rightly or wrongly) that the factory engine is a compromise that gives you average fuel mileage, engine life, driveability and also average performance.
If you seriously monkey with the equations there usually is a shortfall somewhere.
If you keep an eye on the bikes being upgraded then you might start to see a pattern emerging.
Could also be that I'm full of fried bologna.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Learn to go into corners faster. Improve your riding skills on this nice light bike. If you do this you will be surprised how many larger CC bikes you can leave in the dust at will.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
As I've pointed out before, the SV/Strom/Gladius 650 has a fundamental problem with the crank if you try to get much more than 80hp out of it. It's simply too small to support more power with any reasonable degree of reliability, and short of casting new cases to work with a stouter crank it's not a problem that can be solved. Like anybody else involved in racing pumped up SV's, I've got the broken cranks to prove it. :)

An exhaust/SV cam/PC approach will get you to the mid 70's, any more than that is going to cost big bucks and cut into reliability.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Learn to go into corners faster. Improve your riding skills on this nice light bike. If you do this you will be surprised how many larger CC bikes you can leave in the dust at will.
Could not aggree more. Most people say they need more power, when they haven't even begun to relize the full potental of what they have. Improve skills first, blame bike second. If you want a fast bike, buy a fast bike. Enjoy the wee for what it is and accept it for what it isn't.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Agree with both the above, except learn to exit corners faster. That might mean entering more slowly, what ever is best for that particular corner. Agree 100% with: "If you want a fast bike, buy a fast bike. Enjoy the wee for what it is and accept it for what it isn't," unless you're more interested in a project than just really fast acceleration.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Point and shoot is fun and safer

Go slow into a corner
Square the corner
See the exit
Apply massive power
WEEE

In haiku

Be skill fast in turn
See sandy apex soil self
High side scare some birds

·
Registered
22,424 Posts
As I've pointed out before, the SV/Strom/Gladius 650 has a fundamental problem with the crank if you try to get much more than 80hp out of it. It's simply too small to support more power with any reasonable degree of reliability, and short of casting new cases to work with a stouter crank it's not a problem that can be solved. Like anybody else involved in racing pumped up SV's, I've got the broken cranks to prove it. :)

An exhaust/SV cam/PC approach will get you to the mid 70's, any more than that is going to cost big bucks and cut into reliability.
I've heard that 80 is the magic number where the 650 turns into a grenade

When I eventually get back to my bobtail motard SV project, I wanna rebuild the engine to get more hp on the bottom and middle, not necessarily on top, but maybe 50±lb/ft of torque from 3000-8000, I'd even set a redline cutoff @9k

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts