StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe there is already a way to do this, but I couldn't figure it out.

When I come to the site I like to click on the New Posts link to see everything since the last time I was here. But the limit appears to be 5 pages of posts... sometimes that doesn't even cover an entire day and I end up missing things.

Is there any way to increase the number of new posts displayed on either a forum-wide or individual user level?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
It used to be limited to 80 posts, but it was bumped up to 100 a year or so ago when the server was upgraded. The limit is in place to reduce the load on the server, since New Posts does a database search. I don't know if the hardware has been upgraded since the new owners took over, so maybe it could be increased again.

·
Administrator
1,129 Posts
I would need to ask one of the techs if it can be upped. Its usually not upped much past 100 in the intrest of making the site not drop to a crawl when people search things like "motorcycle" or "bike"

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would need to ask one of the techs if it can be upped. Its usually not upped much past 100 in the intrest of making the site not drop to a crawl when people search things like "motorcycle" or "bike"
It used to be limited to 80 posts, but it was bumped up to 100 a year or so ago when the server was upgraded. The limit is in place to reduce the load on the server, since New Posts does a database search. I don't know if the hardware has been upgraded since the new owners took over, so maybe it could be increased again.
This was true a long time ago with vB, but not so much anymore. Keywords between 3-20 characters (by default) are indexed for quicker searches. Also, search result sharing is on by default. This allows searches to be shared for up to an hour.

Compare here vs my site:

Stromtrooper:
Currently Active Users: 126 (42 members and 84 guests)
Most users ever online was 222, 03-01-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Threads: 52,076, Posts: 594,483, Members: 22,521

Ohio Riders:
Currently Active Users: 260 (70 members and 190 guests)
Most users ever online was 568, 01-14-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Threads: 70,931, Posts: 612,476, Members: 5,064

I have no problems with searches and I have more posts, more threads, and more users online. Hardware wise, I'm on a single dedicated vm. Nothing special. Feel free to run a search for "Ohio" on my site: Ohio Riders Motorcycle Forum. Results return almost immediately, and 500 of them.

With some simple performance tweaking, you can have searches return 500+ results with little effect. Stromtrooper is running vB3.8.1. I would suggest upgrading if possible. 3.8.7 just came out. But that shouldn't really matter for this. Indexed searches started in 3.8 I believe.

The bigger performance options would be things like automatic database marking for read forums disabled, images not stored in db, css stored in db, etc.

If you have any questions or need any help, feel free to ask

1 - 5 of 5 Posts