StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the sargeant seat increases the seat height, and thought the corbin did not. Now I've read the corbin is taller than stock as well. Conflicting articles have me wondering. Has anyone ordered a corbin sit LATELY and does it in fact increase overall seat height.

I'm five nine and 30 inch inseam and with stock seat I am pretty much on toes most of the time unless somone is on the back , which of course, then I can flat foot it.

I would love a new, and better seat but do not want to order one if there is too much height from stock.

thanks

ray

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Are you talking about having both feet on the ground? You may need to run some Gene Simmons boots....

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Old Corbin design was taller. The new design ('09 redesign, I think) sits you lower but it's wider so your legs are pushed out...which makes it about the same as the stock seat for how your feet touch the ground. (BTW: I'm 5'6" tall with 30" inseam on a good day).

Here's some pics of stock seat compared to the corbin.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Old Corbin design was taller. The new design ('09 redesign, I think) sits you lower but it's wider so your legs are pussed out...which makes it about the same as the stock seat for how your feet touch the ground. (BTW: I'm 5'6" tall with 30" inseam on a good day).

Hope this helps.
my legs puss out all the time while riding...then I have to take a break to rest them.

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
Are you talking about having both feet on the ground? You may need to run some Gene Simmons boots....
Very decent fix. I've had a lot of vertically challenged friends install thick soles on their riding boots. Mens and Womens! It's whatcha did 30 years ago! :yesnod:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've read that the sargeant seat increases the seat height, and thought the corbin did not.

ray
I am about the same size as you, and recently got a Sargent. Their site says the seat is slightly higher but offers similar "ground reach" as the stock seat. My experience is that I actually didn't notice any height difference at all. Definitely does not feel any higher to me. Takes a while to break in or get used to. I am happy with it.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Got a new Corbin a couple weeks ago. It is definitely lower than the gel seat it replaced. The gel seat is just a wee bit taller than stock. I do sit lower on the bike while in motion and only have to splay my legs out a notch when stopped at a light. Much more support and more of sit in the seat instead of sit on the seat kind of thing. At 5 ft. 9.5 in. I feel pretty good with my feet in a more relaxed postion and no real pressure point/points like the Zook seat.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Old Corbin design was taller. The new design ('09 redesign, I think) sits you lower but it's wider so your legs are pushed out...which makes it about the same as the stock seat for how your feet touch the ground. (BTW: I'm 5'6" tall with 30" inseam on a good day).

Hope this helps.

Solid post Mud Puddle.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Which of the seat makers will do a semi-custom seat? I know that Rich will...how about Russell or Baldwin or ??? As always, a ride-in custom seat appointment is always best.

Another option is to order a replacement seat, then have a local upholstery shop (or DIY) make minor modifications to better fit you.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Another option is to order a replacement seat, then have a local upholstery shop (or DIY) make minor modifications to better fit you.
One thing I did in my quest for a better seat was to cut off about 1.5" layer of foam from the seat. I planned to replace it with memory foam, which I did with pretty good results. However, surprisingly the cut down seat was pretty comfortable without replacement foam. It was flat, wide, and low. I added a half inch of pudgee from Sunmate, it's kind of like a memory foam/gel hybrid, and it was pretty good. You'll most likely have to recover the seat. With that said I still ended up with a Russell, but these are very tall, so not an option for the OP. Maybe buy a used seat and experiment.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can order the "sport seat" from Russell. It will cost 10% less than their regular "day long" seat. It will look the same, but will not have the springs in it that raise the seat height. They recommend this seat when ground reach is already an issue. I got the day long seat from them, and I am now up on the balls of my feet and toes when I put both feet down. I have not lowered the bike and have a 32" inseam.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would actually like to keep the seat height as is with stock although after breaking in a new one, I could live with a tad more height. I do not mind being on the balls of my feet as the bike is very stable at rest compared to my BMW. I never feel like I'm going to drop it like I do the beemer.

That said, I am leaning toward the sargeant as it looks better and apparently is as much subjectively good and bad as the corbin, cost less and has a tool pouch . The tool pouch may or may not work as I've filled my compartment on the bike with the Fuzebox . Not sure if that would be a problem or not.

Once I get a new seat I plan to experiment with the old seat foam and make it lower so my brother can ride it as he is even more challenged vertically than I am.

You guys are great, all the imput on these forums may not make your decision for you but it makes you think of all the variables better than on your own , Thanks so much, I appreciate the comments .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Guys and Girls, i recently took a wee for a test ride at my local Suzuki dealer that was fitted with a 2 piece Corbin seat i felt as though i was sitting "in" the seat as opposed to "on" it and sitting further back ,the seat felt firm and slightly wider at the front so anyone who finds a stock wee a bit tall will probably be on tip toes ,there was a bit more lower back support and the seat was wider for the rider and pillions' behind ,the mounting points had to be modified to suit the 2 piece seat ,apparently there is an 8 week wait for the Corbin seats, i did ask the sales manager if he would be interested in an exchange deal with my stock seat ,he said he would get back to me ,haven't heard yet ! .

·
Registered
808 Posts
8 week wait, wow! My Alaska buddies just rode down to Corbin and had their seats custom made a few weekends ago. But I guess there could be a backlog for seats ordered in the traditional way..

they do make a bit of a "bowl" that you sit in, so it could make it harder to touch the ground. My buddy with a VFR has shorter legs, so he had them move the bowl as far forward to the tank as possible to compensate for the loss of 'legroom'.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Seat

Take the time to consult a local craftman. You will get a seat that corresponds exactly to your needs. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts