StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have my heart set on a shiney new pair of Teknic Violator waterproof booties. Can be had in the States for around 240ish. Up here 399.00 in the MotoVan cat.

Geez man.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Looks to me like Morden is about 1/2 hour from the border.

Get creative!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right Heavy, we are very close to a border crossing. I have often ordered goods and had them shipped to a parcel handling agency in Walhalla, ND (bout 25 mins from here).

But I guess that isnt my point.....

I would have no problem whatsoever paying abit more, but 150.00 more on a 240.00 item is just abit much.

Cheers!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just saved about $300 buying my Givi's south of the border. I called around, but no one would budge on their prices. I don't have the cash nessecary to buy locally:sad:

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
UPS thieves

<rant>

Just make sure you don't have anything shipped UPS.

You'll get robbed for sure. Their "brokerage fees" are out and out theft.

<rant/>

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I agree 100% that we get ripped off by the Canadian importers. I like to buy locally, if it makes sense, but I work hard for my dollars and I'll buy from across the border if it means I can save a good chunk of money.

I picked up a Sargent seat during a recent business trip to Ohio and Michigan. I ended up paying $321.56, US, for it. With the exchange at the time, my VISA is probably going to get hit to the tune of $320.00. Think I could have come anywhere close to that price up here, North of the border?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently, the distributors up here just don't get it. Being very close to the border, our local shops have really felt the pinch. If its a matter of say 10-15%, I will generally spend my money at home, but otherwise, I have no choice but order from the States.

And yes, do not ever us UPS. I dont know how they can charge the seems-like-fake brokerage fees they do, but its ridiculas. I recently had 2 seperate shipments from the US come to my door via FedEx, and didnt have to pay a penny.

MotoVan or Parts Canada, are you listening????

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I just ordered the Olympia Airglide 2 Mesh pants from Amotostuff. Great price in the US-$180. Then I paid $26 shipping and $66 duty/taxes so that pretty much negated any real savings. A few months ago I prdered the AST jacket and paid no duty, only taxes and saved about $100 compared to local cost. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

I asked a dealer in ottawa why his AST jacket is $100 more than Amotostuff and he said he has to pay 18% textile duty +shipping +PST/GST. I guess it makes sense from that perspective. Still it may make sense to order from the US and hope customs doesn't open it and charge you the 18% duty on top of taxes and the "handling fee".

But you are right, there is a lot of gouging going on when you compare the US and Can dollar. There is no way that 240 US becomes 399 Cdn even with duty and taxes. Time to shop around

SS

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just ordered the Olympia Airglide 2 Mesh pants from Amotostuff. Great price in the US-$180. Then I paid $26 shipping and $66 duty/taxes so that pretty much negated any real savings. A few months ago I prdered the AST jacket and paid no duty, only taxes and saved about $100 compared to local cost. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

I asked a dealer in ottawa why his AST jacket is $100 more than Amotostuff and he said he has to pay 18% textile duty +shipping +PST/GST. I guess it makes sense from that perspective. Still it may make sense to order from the US and hope customs doesn't open it and charge you the 18% duty on top of taxes and the "handling fee".

But you are right, there is a lot of gouging going on when you compare the US and Can dollar. There is no way that 240 US becomes 399 Cdn even with duty and taxes. Time to shop around

SS
I agree, it's a little harder for our retailers to justify the higher costs here with the dollar parody ( or close). Hopefully it'll send a message but I doubt it. I don't mind paying a bit more for stuff up here but C'MON!

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
I bought a new 2006 DL650 that the dealer in Minnesota had installed Givi side and top cases with a new tall windshield and only paid $7,100. On top of that they gave me $4,500 for my 2007 KLR that had 6,000 miles on it. No Canadian dealer could touch that.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I bought a new 2006 DL650 that the dealer in Minnesota had installed Givi side and top cases with a new tall windshield and only paid $7,100. On top of that they gave me $4,500 for my 2007 KLR that had 6,000 miles on it. No Canadian dealer could touch that.
How did you handle importing, plates, etc.? What did you pay at the border for duty?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Guys

Getting into the thread a little late.
But hopefully I can shed a little light on the pricing issue.

I am a sales rep for Motovan for the past 15 years in Alberta, and the proud owner of a really cool 071K and also race enduros and XCs.

I know who cares.

We have discussed the US vs Can pricing at length in the company and in the dealerships.

I am gonna be brief.

In the last 6 months helmets in Canada have come down 15-25%.
Most new products introduced in the last 6 month have almost a identical us to Can retail.
Example, we have the 2009 Coldwave [ same manufacturer as Teknic]samples and pricing, there is only a 10% diffrence between the US and Can pricing.
There is a cost to ship and duties in Canada, you guys get that.

Looking into my crystal beer mug.

US retails will rise!
Almost nothing is made in the US anymore, we know that.
The Asian and Euro vendors dont want payment in US dollars, most product is bought with the Euro or Yen, which has increased at almost the same pace as the loonie.

US retails will rise!
When they cant buy the same quantity of product for a US dollar.

Another issue as distributors we have to be very careful is to not completly devalue the exsisting inventory of your local dealer.
If we drop the retail price $100 of product XYZ that the dealer bought last year, there goes any profit that the dealer is making.
See? Its complex but it is correcting itself, it will take a while for the prices to work thier way through the system.
You should have seen the screaming when the loonie was a buck ten, a few months back.

Its cold comfort to know that we are not the only industry going through these issues.
Its the same story in electronics, sporting goods, you name it.
But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

All I can say is support your local dealer, if you can.
He is the guy that buys your product or service, he may employ your neighbors kid, he supports the local racing.We are all connected!

Thats it, I am off my soapbox

If anyone wants to explore the Rockies on thier Vstrom call or email me.

Johnathan 403-606-0505

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jonathan for your input. I think most of sorta know of what you speak, however the fact remains that there is just too huge a disparity in price on way too many items. Understanding the "system" still wont justify buying here knowing that major savings are to be had in the States.

What price do we pay in the name of "supporting your local dealer".....hard to say. Each person may have their own response. Personally, I am perfectly willing to pay an extra 20%. But when I see differences ranging upwards of 75% and more, I have no choice but to offer my cash to our cousins to the south. Tires are a very good example, where prices can (at retail) often be double.

Cheers,

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
How did you handle importing, plates, etc.? What did you pay at the border for duty?
Importing was easy just bring it across and pay for the I.R.V. program ($210). then paid the GST and PST the same as Canada and I didn't pay any state tax. Then phone Suzuki Corporate in the US to get the recall letter and have it inspected then register. You don't pay anything for the inspection, it cover when you pay you $210 tax grab.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
//Looking into my crystal beer mug.

US retails will rise!
Almost nothing is made in the US anymore, we know that.//
Well, relax, and have another glass!

What you seem to be saying is, "Oh, we were price fixing, but we're not doing it anymore because we got caught." There's a way to protect the Canadian dealers against their devalued inventory: it's called a rebate.

I drive a Subaru Outback, made in Lafayette, Indiana. An Outback 2.5i is $23,595 in the US - and $30,295 in Canada. And this is after a price decrease in Canada. There are a number of lawsuits brought by Canadians against automobile manufacturers for price fixing.

You're right that little of the consumer junk that Americans or Canadians buy is made in the US, and the price of it is rising. I think that's great, as maybe they'll go out and buy milling machines and robots instead of toasters and yard furniture (JK).

But I sell to businesses that sell to other businesses, and they are booming. Many of our customers are manufacturers who export more than 50% of their products. Some of these companies are logging record sales and profits: it's just that the housing market and bank fiascos have gotten a lot more press attention.

This was in the WSJ yesterday:

Last year's landmark labor deals and the weak dollar are breathing new life into U.S. auto plants, leading Detroit's auto makers to plan sizable exports of U.S.-made vehicles to markets around the world.

General Motors Corp. is looking to export U.S.-made vehicles to Europe as well as to China and Latin American markets such as Brazil, company executives confirmed. Chrysler LLC, primarily spurred by exchange rates, has already started shifting production from Europe to the U.S. to take advantage of lower costs and available plant capacity. Ford Motor Co. is considering ramping up exports if it can bring labor costs down, people familiar with the matter said.....
I hope the E7 countries continue to pressure the Chines to float their currency. If we get the world on a level playing field, it's going to be good for everyone. And Canadian visits to Boston are up more than 50% - welcome!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Garandman

First, I like your avatar.

Hopefully you are correct in your theory of increased production in the USA because it will translate into increased production in Canada also.
Auto parts plants are closing and laying off staff at an alarming rate in Canada, we would all be happy to see that trend reversed.
I am not optimistic, that the average consumer would embrace the higher prices and quality that come with a made in the USA or Canada label.

Our society has become a group of lead filled, HDTV, 200 thread count, Wal-Mart shoppers looking for quantity not quality

So we are on the same page when it comes to economics, except when you make a statement, like this.

What you seem to be saying is, "Oh, we were price fixing, but we're not doing it anymore because we got caught." There's a way to protect the Canadian dealers against their devalued inventory: it's called a rebate.

Rebates? They are great to use as an incentive before the sale.
Almost impossible to rebate after a sale.

Use a Nissan truck for example, a 2008 truck is $10k less than a 07.
Does the customer who bought a 2007 go back to the dealership and get a chq. Will Nissan get a rebate from their parts suppliers, mechanics?
Then what, the dealership wants the commission from the salesman back.
And the salesman spent that commission on a big screen that has come down 50% he drives his car to BestBuy with his hand out, looking for a chq. Where does that trend stop?

It’s a free market. Make your product and then sell your product.
If you can negotiate better deals with your suppliers and can offer better pricing in the future, it will bode well for selling your product in the future, and if it’s not priced competitive the market will decide if it sells.

So really we all have theories and opinions.

But I do know one certain fact, o.k. two.
The Bruins won’t win the Stanley cup, and the Patriots choked.

On the bright side, we being the kind Canadians we are will keep selling you our beer.

Johnathan

·
Hodad
254 Posts
Jonathan - You seem to be connected into the pricing structure for our favourite pastime. Maybe you could answer us a couple of questions.

It's well into 2008 - how come Suzuki's MSRP for an 08650ABS is CDN$8,999 here and US$7,199 across the border? There's no duty on motorcycles or parts coming into Canada from Most Favoured Nation countries (which includes Japan and just about every industrialized country in the world). How much more do our motorcycle dealers have to pay for a 2008 650 V-Strom, compared to their US counterparts?

Second question - The US$ is an unavoidable benchmark for the CDN$. If the Canadian dealers are in fact paying $1,800 more per V-Strom than their US counterparts, and seeing as the US economy has been predictably sliding for more than a year, why should I buy from these local dealers? Clearly they weren't doing a very good job looking out for my best interests when they were negotiating their prices, why should I look out for their interests now?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Jonathan - You seem to be connected into the pricing structure for our favourite pastime. Maybe you could answer us a couple of questions.

It's well into 2008 - how come Suzuki's MSRP for an 08650ABS is CDN$8,999 here and US$7,199 across the border? There's no duty on motorcycles or parts coming into Canada from Most Favoured Nation countries (which includes Japan and just about every industrialized country in the world). How much more do our motorcycle dealers have to pay for a 2008 650 V-Strom, compared to their US counterparts?

Second question - The US$ is an unavoidable benchmark for the CDN$. If the Canadian dealers are in fact paying $1,800 more per V-Strom than their US counterparts, and seeing as the US economy has been predictably sliding for more than a year, why should I buy from these local dealers? Clearly they weren't doing a very good job looking out for my best interests when they were negotiating their prices, why should I look out for their interests now?

Cheers,
I asked my dealer why the 650 was still $8999 this year considering the value of the dollar. He said Suzuki's solution was to give you the ABS for free and call it even. It looks like we're still paying a lot more than we should. Then again, I'm guessing a lot of the American riders would pay a good premium to get an ABS bike. There are no winners this year. They can't get ABS and we pay too much for it. I doub't that change is coming any time soon.

SS

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello
What a crappy couple of days....we have had snow in Alberta for the last week and the Flames lost last night, Oh well gives me more garage time!

I cant really speak to the price of OEM units especially Vstroms.

But l could put forward a few points and a question on pricing in general.

The major Japanese OEM do like to add Value on, instead of lowering the retail price.
For example ATVs they always offer a winch,and accessories for free. Honda had a program for free gear.

There's no duty on motorcycles or parts coming into Canada from Most Favoured Nation countries (which includes Japan and just about every industrialized country in the world).
Again, I am not sure on the duties for units but some accessories imported from Overseas into Canada can have duties as high as +13% duty that the USA dosnt have.

Honestly, I think no one has a freaking clue about how to price thier product.
Due to the volatile and fragile markets.
Because the same questions you gentelmen asked are the same questions I asked of the Ford retailer on the F150 that I am looking at the $15,000 more than the US.
Or the car tire retailer that I can have shipped up from the states.
Or the GPS I am looking at.
Or the price of a Big Mac.
Or the retail of a pair of DC shoes for my kids.
I think its may get even crazier, there was an article in the Finacial Post regarding the poor performance of the loonie compared to the other currience being traded around the globe.
http://www.financialpost.com/most_popular/story.html?id=461825

Who knows anymore?
Build your product, price your product , then sell your product.
I honestly believe the markets will adjust themselves eventually
Stop this rollercoaster I wanna get off! LOL!

Johnathan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts