StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2015 V-strom 650 XT version. I am liking everything about this cycle except the seat. I looked up old reviews when this bike came out and it said the stock seat was good for long rides. I can't even make it an hour on the stock seat. I don't like the cupped portion as it only allows you to sit in one position and is too soft after riding for more than 10-15 minutes. My rear and boys are screaming hot. I am thinking I need to sit up higher and need a flatter harder seat that I can more forward and back a little better. I don't want a seat with a slope that pushes me forward or backward. More reach to the pegs would help also.

What seats are recommended to replace the stock seat.

If anybody has an aftermarket seat to sell also, please let me know.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Terry Adcox, Sargent, Corbin & about 25 more.
Boxers or Briefs kind of question here...
There have been volumes written on this. use the search feature on the control panel to find them.

This being said, I have had 3 Corbins (Holeshot was best!), 3 of Terry's (great for distance but could not get comfortable around town with them), Stock, low, hi, gel, all not workie for me. Gelpad, airhawk (Not bad overall), and now a Sargent std height 'Performance Plus' unit.
For my build & day in/out usage it has been the best compromise for me.
I will likely get Terry to do another I will use for long trips 2 up dependent on how Rhonda's surgeries turn out.
Now that I have thoroughly confused everyone...
And further now... I bought a 'Sit N Fly' cover, installed on the new Sargent, to use in the somewhat regular wet weather commute...…
OH HELL YES!!!!!
This works for me!!! I recommend without reservation & the price is right.

·
Registered
388 Posts
DualDog, I put the RDL on my Vee. But I still felt kinda hot in upper summer temps. Opening the zippers on my pants helped only a tad. So I took an old beaded seat cover that was laying on my shelf that I used in a van which I sold long ago. I cut it down to a size that would cover only my seat. Attached it to the bike seat via the four corners with velcro strips. The added air flow between me and the seat is amazing!! The heat that I use to feel is now gone. And if you have any doubts about the air flow, just ride with it in place during the winter and you'll feel the difference immediately. So if I were you I would consider a beaded seat cover for more air flow. Some guys use sheepskin seat covers and get a similar effect.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I got my 04 Wee with the stock and the gel seat. The gel seat, to me, was brick. The stock seat with an Air hawk is ideal.
You booty will differ.

·
Registered
198 Posts
An Airhawk solved the problem for me (identical bike)

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've had good luck using Bead Rider Seat Covers https://www.beadrider.com/ I've used both the wooden and ceramic bead styles. The wooden covers allow extremely easy movement around the seat. The ceramic allow movement but not as freely. It's also a low cost trial.

The V Strom pic below is from the Bead Rider website.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It is always worth considering a custom seat done locally.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
It is always worth considering a custom seat done locally.
This brings up an interesting question. I often see nice seats for sale locally off of Harley Davidsons, or even other makes, for very good prices. Has anybody on this board ever bought an aftermarket seat off of a different bike and taken it to a local upholsterer and had the cover and cushion materials adapted to your seat? This would be similar to what people do when buying from Seat Concepts. Obviously the material would need to be modified or shaped to fit your seat. I saw a Corbin off of a Harley the other day and thought to myself, "self, I wonder if I could buy this, remove the cover and padding and then have a local upholsterer do his thing". I may check with a couple of the local upholsterers and see what they say.

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I developed a serious problem using the stock seat on my 2014. Terry Adcox rode to the rescue. You have to spread out the pressure across your posterior and not have it concentrated in the small area that you wind up getting from the stock seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for replies. I do like the Adcox option. Unfortunately he just informed me he's backed up until November so I wouldn't be able to really use until next riding season in 2020.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any comments out there on the sergeant seat? Was looking at the low version. Are they softer than stock seat?

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
Any comments out there on the sergeant seat? Was looking at the low version. Are they softer than stock seat?
NO they are not softer but they have really high end padding in them, plus the seat pan is much wider than stock seats. I still say that anyone should first try that Sit&Fly cover, the number of bikes with them at the Strom rally was quite high.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The foam wasnt softer, somewhere between stock and corbin. You dont want it softer than stock IMO. The foam itself felt really good, but for me, on the 1000, the Sargent just seemed to make me slide forward a hair to much, really crunching the boys. I dont know if its the same on the 650 as far as pitching you forward. The good thing is they give you a trial.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got a Shad seat from Adventure Tech and am absolutely thrilled with it. The price is great, the fit and finish is first-class and you don't have to give up your seat pan. I recently did the Blue Ridge down and back and never even noticed the seat, a true testament. Check it out. I ride a 2105 DL1000.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts