StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to determine which handlebars to go with that would give me some more hight and place my hands closer to me compared to stock AND also would work with my barkbuster storm hand guards. I have read that there are issues with the pro taper mid, not sure about the pro taper high, but I'd like a steel bar anyway, so I was thinking this moose racing mightjust fit. Anyone out there running this bar with barkbuster storms?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess no one has tried this bar yet on a strom. In that case this should be interesting... I'll give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
i have an unfiited moose HI-ATV - there should be no problems with barkuster (except the usual mods needed to ensure cables clearance) unless you rotate too much towards the rider and the barkbuster will hit the tank -

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am trying to determine which handlebars to go with that would give me some more hight and place my hands closer to me compared to stock AND also would work with my barkbuster storm hand guards. I have read that there are issues with the pro taper mid, not sure about the pro taper high, but I'd like a steel bar anyway, so I was thinking this moose racing mightjust fit. Anyone out there running this bar with barkbuster storms?
I can't comment on the Moose bars but I do have the ATV Mid bars and Barkbusters on my 2012. I had no issues with this pairing at all. However, I did run into a bit of an interference problem when I added 1.5 inch up/back risers. I had to take a few liberties with the Barkbuster mounting brackets to get the bars to clear the side covers at full lock. Once that was resolved I now have the right bar height and sweep for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have an unfiited moose HI-ATV - there should be no problems with barkuster (except the usual mods needed to ensure cables clearance) unless you rotate too much towards the rider and the barkbuster will hit the tank -
That's really good to hear. I am not sure what you mean by "unfited" though...

I'm also a little puzzled by how the handguards would hit the tank. I can see possible issues with the windshield clearance at full lock. Well, I guess I'll find out when I actually get the bars lol!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't comment on the Moose bars but I do have the ATV Mid bars and Barkbusters on my 2012. I had no issues with this pairing at all. However, I did run into a bit of an interference problem when I added 1.5 inch up/back risers. I had to take a few liberties with the Barkbuster mounting brackets to get the bars to clear the side covers at full lock. Once that was resolved I now have the right bar height and sweep for me. YMMV.
Say what?! I really liked the specs on the mid bars, just wanted them closer and also saw a few threads where poeple said the "bridge" bar was in the way of bolting up barkbusters, so i skipped the atv mid. Did you take off that bridge bar so you can put on the backbusters or just bolted them up some different way?

Anyhow, glad you made it work! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Unfited = not fitted... Salvaged from last bike.... Just lying around.... I am probably inventing words as I am going along

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfited = not fitted... Salvaged from last bike.... Just lying around.... I am probably inventing words as I am going along

It's all good man. I'm just glad to hear you got it to work. I looked at the cables and can see that rerouting them will easily give me at least 2 inches more length, so I'm hopeful no extensions will be needed.

sickfreerider182: I'll post pictures after the install.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Say what?! I really liked the specs on the mid bars, just wanted them closer and also saw a few threads where poeple said the "bridge" bar was in the way of bolting up barkbusters, so i skipped the atv mid. Did you take off that bridge bar so you can put on the backbusters or just bolted them up some different way?

Anyhow, glad you made it work! :thumbup:
Here's the thread on the process I went through when I was trying to find the right bars that'd work for my wrists and Barkbusters. The last page shows the ATV mid bend bars installed with the bridge bar and the Barkbusters. I still have this setup and it's perfect for me.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/117913-pro-taper-se-atv-mid-bend-bars-barkbusters-heated-grips.html

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the thread on the process I went through when I was trying to find the right bars that'd work for my wrists and Barkbusters. The last page shows the ATV mid bend bars installed with the bridge bar and the Barkbusters. I still have this setup and it's perfect for me.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/117913-pro-taper-se-atv-mid-bend-bars-barkbusters-heated-grips.html
Oh nice, thanks for sharing your write up. It will be great to have some reference. My bars dont get in until next week. Was hoping to have them to play with this weekend, but no dice.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bars came in last night after all. When I took them out of packaging they seemed no different than stock, so I was almost pissed. But after installing I can tell they are a bit wider and seem to place my hands where I want them, up and closer to me, even without the 30mm riser that I had when I used the stock bars. Cables length is fine. All I did was take them out of their holders to give them slack. Didn't even need to re route. I used paint thinner to get the left grip loose, but I read wd40, acetone and all kinds of other methods works as well. Paint thiner broke it loose instantly. I recommend it. Overall, the install was rediculously easy. Nothing tricky at all. Bolt stuff off the stock bar, bolt it back on the new one. Done. :thumbup:

For now I put my stock bar ends in cuz I couldn't get the outter cylinder for the barkbuster out of the stock bar. But I test fited them, and it looks like it will be no problem to bolt them up.

Gonna go to a out of town on the bike tonight, will let you know how I like them. I few pics for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I now have about 130 miles on the bike with the new bars, most of it highway. On the highway, these seem very comfortable. They have really turned the bike from sporty adv to touring adv, because the seating position with these bars is more upright, relaxed, and comfortable. My posture seems much better with these bars, as they really don't allow you to bend your back much or crouch. The downside?! Well, you are more upright, relaxed, so you are not hugging the bike so well with your body. This means you are stearing the bike now more with arms and shoulders, and less with your hips. This makes in town riding a little different. I also am not sold on the wrist angle on these bars. Since I installed them I have been adjusting the bar back bit by bit. This seems to be helping the wrist postion and reducing reach, but I am still looking for the correct/perfect postion.

For now, I'll say these bars seem like an improvement in some ways mainly posture, but I'm not sold on the wrist angle yet. I still need to play with the lean back to see if I can dial them in perfectly. More miles and adjustment will tell if I keep them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts