StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used the Moose Racing Heavy Duty chain lube? I bought some at a, local to me now, shop just to try and I have to say I've never used anything that made this much of a mess other than 80-90 weight gear oil. Well, this was actually worse since the spray nozzle didn't work (wouldn't fit). Went on like a black cloud of foam and just kept dripping. All over the swing arm, center stand, you name it. If the lube touched it, it ran off like a thin oil. In order to not be confused I only sprayed it on the chain. I.E., whatever the chain touched, it ran off on. In rights to the product the chain did quiet right away but, wow, what a mess.

Unfortunately I had to clean the chain today because of a wrong turn gone bad yesterday in Iowa. Almost 20 miles of newly grated gravel roads at 15-20 mph, two up. I can say one thing for Iowa, they sure keep the gravel roads kept up. In a cage it would have been fine.

I'm used to using Honda Pro chain lube with moly, the stuff that goes on, dries right away and just leaves the grease/lube.

I don't think I'll be buying anymore of this stuff...:beatnik:

·
Registered
219 Posts
You actually *clean* your chain? i am only asking because the combined knowledge here on this forum seems to be NEVER clean a chain... just lube it every time you fill with fuel.

I made the 'mistake' of cleaning my chain ONE TIME.... it had rust on the side-plates within a day. After an hour of using a wire-wheel to get the rust off and a good coating of lube... I have never EVER cleaned it again.

The layer of crud on the side-plates has no consequence to its longevity nor operation... but protects it from rust.

·
Administrator
17,372 Posts
You actually *clean* your chain? i am only asking because the combined knowledge here on this forum seems to be NEVER clean a chain... just lube it every time you fill with fuel.

I made the 'mistake' of cleaning my chain ONE TIME.... it had rust on the side-plates within a day. After an hour of using a wire-wheel to get the rust off and a good coating of lube... I have never EVER cleaned it again.

The layer of crud on the side-plates has no consequence to its longevity nor operation... but protects it from rust.
That way of thinking will gum up your front sprocket area and possibly even cause leaks on the slave cylinder. I have never gotten rust from cleaning/lubing my chains, so I gotta call bullshite on that. Depends on how and where you ride, keep a gritty dirty sandy and sticky chain on your bike and see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That way of thinking will gum up your front sprocket area and possibly even cause leaks on the slave cylinder. I have never gotten rust from cleaning/lubing my chains, so I gotta call bullshite on that. Depends on how and where you ride, keep a gritty dirty sandy and sticky chain on your bike and see how long it lasts.
I agree with you 100 % on that.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
This will surely create an arguement. I am in the no clean school of chain maintenance. When I pull my front spocket cover, the build up is chain lube mostly.

I use Bel Ray clean lube which is a more waxy than sticky type of lube. It comes of the push rod pretty easy.

I would submit that to much lube is as bad as anything for the clutch seal and push rod build up.

Sandy dirt riding or lots of rain riding is not my cup of tea.

I got 30,000 miles on my last drive train and replaced everything...chain and sprockets together. The counter sprocket area was never cleaned except when replacing the chain.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...henc, why I cleaned the chain. With all the "rain" we've had up here lately the dust was horrible on the gravel. I don't make it a habitual habit of cleaning my chain but when there's that much gravel dust I dont' feel it can be a good thing to keep it on/in there.

No, I usually don't ride much gravel, at all. I tend to stay away from it like the plague, when I can...

·
Registered
323 Posts
My 2 cents, I stopped cleaning my chain. My theory is that cleaning a chain will loosen dirt particles that will find their way between the plates and I don't think you will remove those particles no matter has much you clean. I also put a 1/2 O.D. dia, I/4 O.D. dia round foam piece on the clutch push rod to protect the oil seal

·
Administrator
13,733 Posts
What has cleaning the chain got to do with gumming up the front sprocket area? Why not just clean the front sprocket area?

The last chain I replaced (on my 2006 DL650) was replaced at 46,404 miles (and had some useful life left.) It was NEVER cleaned but lubed with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain. The front sprocket was replaced before that as the sprocket was worn out and certainly the front sprocket area had been gummed up just as it has been on the previous two chains that had be uselessly cleaned snf lubed as per manufacturer's recomendations (and only lasted just over 20,000 miles.) The current chain on my 2006 has 34,600+ miles and the frotn sprocket was replaced but the chain is perfectly fine. (It may never be replaced as I am not riding it.. I thought my son might but he just bought something else.)

How long did your chains last?

..Tom

·
Registered
314 Posts
Uh-oh. This might get a little nasty. The old dirty vs clean chain debate.:weapons_11:

To each his own in my opinion, but I know my wife prefers my chain clean. :green_lol:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uh-oh. This might get a little nasty. The old dirty vs clean chain debate.:weapons_11:

To each his own in my opinion, but I know my wife prefers my chain clean. :green_lol:
Ya, all I was wondering was if anyone else ever used this stuff and their opinions of it, or if they had better luck than me dealing with it...:beatnik:

·
Administrator
17,372 Posts
What has cleaning the chain got to do with gumming up the front sprocket area? Why not just clean the front sprocket area?

The last chain I replaced (on my 2006 DL650) was replaced at 46,404 miles (and had some useful life left.) It was NEVER cleaned but lubed with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain. The front sprocket was replaced before that as the sprocket was worn out and certainly the front sprocket area had been gummed up just as it has been on the previous two chains that had be uselessly cleaned snf lubed as per manufacturer's recomendations (and only lasted just over 20,000 miles.) The current chain on my 2006 has 34,600+ miles and the frotn sprocket was replaced but the chain is perfectly fine. (It may never be replaced as I am not riding it.. I thought my son might but he just bought something else.)

How long did your chains last?

..Tom
Asked me that before Tom.:mrgreen: I replaced my Strom chain and sprockets at around 17/18k and they for sure had allot of life left. Keep the chain clean and lube "lightly" that is all that needs to be done IMHO. And Belray Superclean is currently the best stuff out there.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Best Chain lube? Tough to beat Dumonde Tech BHP. Compared to the spray on lubes, this is quite clean. My wheel actually spins easier and longer. I take that as it's really working. I don't need to apply it as much and spray-on is wasted wiping it off the excess with a rag.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm using Belray superclean, seems to work well. Very little throw off and easy to apply, spray tip/nozzle works well. Applied every 600 - 1000 kms. I havecleaned my chain 1x. Cant really comment as to the benefits unless riding in very dirty/dusty conditions. Keep it clean ??? or keep it lubed???? Maybe not both?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts