StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride an 06' Ducati 620 Monster and I can't get the wee strom out of my mind.

I love the Duc's engine, brakes, and flickability... but there are couple things pushing my decision.

- I am 6'00" and just hit 250 (when I bought it I was 210).
- My wife has recently decided she would love to go riding with me, the monster is not a great 2 up machine. (can you even call that a back seat?!)
- I can last about an hour on the Duc before I start to loose all feeling in my back and lower extremities.

I've thought about moving to a Multistrada, but I'd like to buy new and no way can i afford an 1100s. (seems non-S has been discontinued in the states). I sat on a Vee last weekend and loved the ergonomics. Any former Ducati owners with any regrets?

Also, not having financed a motorcycle since 05, has it become almost impossible to finance a new Wee without perfect credit in today's economy?

·
Banned
593 Posts
Keep the duc, add the Wee! You will need both, trust me (see my sig?)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I think I read somewhere that Duc sells almost 80% of those Monsters to woman, and people who are buying their 1st bikes, it's an entry level model with a low seat height, best suited to the smaller crowd.

Considering your size, I think a Strom would be a superb fit.

I just sold my ZRX1200 to buy a 6-fiddy, so this was a huge downgrade in terms of power & torque, but the Strom makes up for it in so many other ways...go for it!

It's neat to have naked, classic styled bike, but the Strom is worlds apart in terms of rider comfort.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Don't have a Duc, skip if that invalidates my comments

Just read a post today about a guy getting approved for financing a bike. You never know till you try. Doesn't cost you anything. Most people say to go for the Vee for 2 up riding especially if you are big. I'm 6'3, 200+/- and she's about 155+/- and we're both trying to head south. We're happy on the Wee, it's less expensive and does just fine. Haven't tried it on long trips but have read a half dozen trip reports from those who have done so.

Seems to me you might want to take your wife out for some long walks (as well as long rides) and loose some of that added weight. You'll be healthier, feel better and she'll love you more for it. Since you seem to be contemplating trading your beloved bike for her, loose the weight for her as well.

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't overlook the vee. I have a wee w/ over 50k miles and on longer trips I find myself wanting a little more power. I am 5"9 175 and the wife is 130ish.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've still got my 2003 monster 800s. I bought the DL650 for longer rides and commuting. The strom gets ridden more than the monster now <hangs head in shame>.

The strom is such a great bike though! Is it as sexy as the monster? No. But it can be every bit as entertaining on a ride. It's also more forgiving on pavement quality (or gravel) that the monster just doesn't like.

I took the monster from Ky to NY a few years ago. 1st day was about 575 miles. After riding the strom, I wonder how I did that. THe strom is so much more comfortable.

I'm about 5'9; at 6' the strom should fit you very well.

I still love the monster. Every time I think about selling it, I go for a ride on it, and the thoughts disappears. If you can do it, keep the monster and get the strom.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wee with a holeshot

You could buy a Wee and add a holeshot can to it. It is just a slipon that will require an our of time for the instalation and add around 10% horses to the Wee. Of course the gas milage will get worse, but there is more power for you. I believe that it is smoother than Vee and you might be happier.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Don't overlook the vee. I have a wee w/ over 50k miles and on longer trips I find myself wanting a little more power. I am 5"9 175 and the wife is 130ish.
I agree, and this is coming from a 650 owner/operator.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You could buy a Wee and add a holeshot can to it. It is just a slipon that will require an our of time for the instalation and add around 10% horses to the Wee. Of course the gas milage will get worse, but there is more power for you. I believe that it is smoother than Vee and you might be happier.
Just get the Vee. No need fiddle around trying to get more power.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Seems like from what I have read the Wee is more bullet proof than the Vee. I was interested in the Vee in 06 and found that there was an apparent problem w/the fuel map so got a Uly. Low maint. low problems, minimum fidling is much more important to me than power now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As much as I love my Wee, the Multistrada seems to do better, at least on pavement.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Stop it already...you dont get any hp with a new slip on pipe never mind 10%,thats a load of hooey.There is very little difference from wee to Vee except 40 pounds and much better hp for 2-up riding.Stop bringing back up the old hogwash from the past....we have for the most part seen a stop to these type posts.
The Vee is better two up and is more fun for us guys that like more torque and dont give a crap about a couple mpg...the wee is a bit more nimble on trails and a bit better gas mileage for the cheap crowd...thats about it.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Doesn't fit 07+, which has an oval outlet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I currently ride a Multistrada 620 and find that it offers plenty of power and ergonomic comfort. If you already ride a Duke, then you know about the quirks and dealer network. The Multi 620 an excellent cross between the Monster and Wee 650. You still get the Duke hardware, engine and exhaust, but the ergonomics are waaay better than the Monster. Actually, I'd say that if the Wee and Monster had a love child.....the Multi 620 would be the result! Happy hunting.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
I really wanted a monster (it's the type of bike I've been building), but when the time came to buy new back in '08, I narrowed the choices down to the following 5 bikes:
KTM 690 supermoto
Ducati M696
Triumph Thruxton
BMW F650 gs (the 800cc one)
DL-650

My choice was easy:
The ktm and duc were the most fun, but didn't have the fuel range, the abs, or the luggage capability. They are also very maintenance intensive.
The Thruxton, while really nice and comfy, did absolutely nothing better than the ninja 500, except for looks (and also did not have abs).
The bmw was not in stock the day I bought my bike.

I ended up with a yellow wabs, and am quite happy with it. I've since tried the beemer and decided that them not being in stock that day was a very lucky thing.
I keep telling myself I don't need more power, but only time will tell. I might eventually end up blowing the engine on my wee, because I ride the thing pretty hard (I'm used to 150+hp bikes).

I, like many other forum members, have had many bikes; there's a reason we eventually ended up with v-stroms: we know better than to ride anything else.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
You won't get much more peak power out of the Wee, the best you can do is fatten up the bottom end and midrange.

You can however make it handle a LOT better - fork brace, bars with a brace and some suspension work and it will handle quite nicely :). Won't guarantee it'll be as sweet as the Duc - but you can get close.

Pete

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
We have a S2R and a Wee and if you are 6' and 250lbs I can't imagine how you are comfortable on a Monster for 5 minutes let alone an hour.

You will miss the handling and braking of the Monster and the Ducati feel but you won't miss the ergonomics one little bit. If your wife wants to ride on the back a simple ride on a Wee will leave you no choice because it will be Wee and wife or Monster and divorce.

Overall it will be a bit of an initial heartbreak to say goodbike to the Duc but time and the fun of riding the Wee will soon repair your heart.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Seems like from what I have read the Wee is more bullet proof than the Vee. I was interested in the Vee in 06 and found that there was an apparent problem w/the fuel map so got a Uly. Low maint. low problems, minimum fidling is much more important to me than power now.
Have a 2006 Vee. Did put the PC III on it at time of purchase. Bike has been and trouble free. Still fun with a twist of the wrist. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
If you are serious

About your Wife wanting to ride 2 up with you then you should bring her with you to the dealerships and ride the Wee & the Vee. as far as reliability of Wee -V- Vee this is a non issue .
I have 49,000 miles on my Vee [ I live in Vermont purchased new 04/06] My G.F. & I can ride comfortably for hours we're both solidly built and the bike has power to spare ... Ride both bikes with her & or W/o Her [this for you to see the merits of both] and by what you want to .....Either way You will be happier .:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts