StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Could some 2017+ givi 650 owner can confirm whether is possible to have monokey givi topcase with OEM panniers?
I ask that because givi SR3112 system has some tubular "pipe" (one each side) that does connection between the givi plate (on rear rack) and some frame mount below the seat.
This frame mount is used to install OEM rack for side cases.

Through the web I have seen similar installation... for the vstrom 1000. Although 650 and 1000 rears look very similar, the reference of givi mounting rack is different.

Besides could some 2017+650 owners tell about the max load rating for OEM rear rack (maybe displayed on a sticker or user manual)
It would help me choose between givi v47 and trekker 52 (9.72 vs 11.44 lbs according to giviusa.com)?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Could some 2017+ givi 650 owner can confirm whether is possible to have monokey givi topcase with OEM panniers?
Looking at the installation instructions for the Givi hardware and pics of the OEM case brackets, they'll work together. The Givi brackets come with a longer bolt that allows the support brackets to attach on the back side of the side case mounts (under the tail section, over the wheel). No interference between the two.

Funny that Givi sees the need to add these extra support arms when the OEM top case mount doesn't have it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for four feedback brock29609!

Funny that Givi sees the need to add these extra support arms when the OEM top case mount doesn't have it.
To my opinion the purpose is to spread the weight to rear rack and frame in case rider use big topcase. OEM is 35L so I think it is lighter than any monokey topcase with 40L capacity so rear rack may be sufficient.

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Givi still quotes, I believe, a 25 lb limit for carrying capacity, but the rear plate is definitely MUCH better supported and I can only imagine FAR less likely to break when the load/full topcase bounces on bumps... I'm thinking I remember that there were actually a few broken racks early on from people overloading them and later finding them cracked.......

·
Registered
67 Posts
Givi rack installed

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
givi v47 top case

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Brock
I liked the look of the silver top panel as well but I've heard it is aluminum and if you push down on it to close the lid it has a tendency of bending?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Brock
I liked the look of the silver top panel as well but I've heard it is aluminum and if you push down on it to close the lid it has a tendency of bending?
The panel doesn't have any flex to it that would lead me to believe it's susceptible to denting from closing. I wouldn't let that deter you from buying one.

Edit: It's described as having "aluminum finishing" which leads me to believe it just has a metallic coating. It's sprayed with the same finish that's on the Trekker cases, and they're all plastic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good to know thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
@andrep

Finally, something I actually know something about.

I just installed the Givi SR3112 support racks AND the OEM attachment rails to my 2017 650 today. You can have both. But, the bolts that come with the SR3112 rack, that go through the lower, rear bold on the OEM side case attachment, and are used to support the SR3112 strut, are not long enough. This is because the factory piece on each side that is replaced by the rack attachment is thinner than the OEM case mounting rail/ piece. You need to get longer bolts, (M 6 or something) to make that work. The supplied bolts don't have enough length to get the lock nut onto the bolt.

Personally, I like the extra support of the SR3112 rack system as the factory rack is some sort of composite. Lighter, but I have seen them break.

'Fat bottom girls you make my rockin' world go round', but keep them off the factory rack.

·
Registered
275 Posts
And what about storing one modular/fiullface helmet and a armored jacket in V47?
Can it be done easy peasy?
I do it all the time with a Trekker 52... (I only mention because your original post included the 52.) I did it with my E46 as well, but its a tight fit and I didn't care to crumple up my armor that much...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
@andrep

I just installed the Givi SR3112 support racks AND the OEM attachment rails to my 2017 650 today. You can have both. But, the bolts that come with the SR3112 rack, that go through the lower, rear bold on the OEM side case attachment, and are used to support the SR3112 strut, are not long enough. This is because the factory piece on each side that is replaced by the rack attachment is thinner than the OEM case mounting rail/ piece. You need to get longer bolts, (M 6 or something) to make that work. The supplied bolts don't have enough length to get the lock nut onto the bolt.
Very interesting. After reading your post, I ran straight away to givi documentation and it seems that for France Givi heard you:
https://media.givi.it/XN-Prodotti/istruzioni/SR3112.pdf

According to the link I provided, the bolt number 4 in documentation is type "TE M6x25 625TEF". So it matches your statement.

I'm from France and because of that I cannot access givi overseas docs.
Would it be possible for you to check what is written in Givi Canada documentation (for instance :) ) ?
My guess is instead of M6 you will find M4 for bolt number 4.

My dealer told me that givi OEM side cases were not compatible with SR3112 rack but he did not tell well why and at this time I was lacking knowledge to ask him the right question.

Thank you!

EDIT:
I did a quick search and "M6*25" means the bolt is 25mm long. To your knowledge, is it long enough to catch the side case rack and the lock nuck? @Umbrianissimo
Did you notice this length issue because you set up the rack your self ou did your dealer report it to you?

·
Registered
472 Posts
And what about storing one modular/fiullface helmet and a armored jacket in V47?
Can it be done easy peasy?
Never tried but I'm confident both of these items for me (size large, both) would get in there. Not applicable to me since I keep too much other stuff in there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts