StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking at ways to disable ABS on my DL-650A, and suspect something different from what I've seen might better suit my purposes.

I'm thinking to insert a momentary, normally closed switch in series with one of the wheel motion sensors. The intended effect would be that I can push the switch while beginning to roll [1], which will cause the ABS to indicate a fault and stay inoperative for that power cycle. On the next power-on, (if the switch is not operated), the ABS will operate normally.

Does anybody know enough about how the ABS works to say whether this will or will not work?

[1. This switch may need to be on a handlebar so that it can be operated while working the clutch and throttle. There are other options involving a delayed reconnect of the broken sensor circuit. ]

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I think that will work, but the usual procedure is to put an SPST switch in the wire off the ABS valve fuse. It's more accessible and there is a 1/4" tab connector in the small red wire off the battery positive post that makes it easy to put the switch in without breaking into a stock wire. It's also easy to operate. Turn the switch of at any time in any situation and ABS is off until the switch is turned back on and the ignition is cycled.

Perhaps the most elegant method is outlined at Proper ABS on/off switch
With the switch on there is ABS and with the switch off there is not. The ignition switch does not have to be cycled to turn ABS back on.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that will work, but the usual procedure is to put an SPST switch in the wire off the ABS valve fuse. It's more accessible and there is a 1/4" tab connector in the small red wire off the battery positive post that makes it easy to put the switch in without breaking into a stock wire. It's also easy to operate. Turn the switch of at any time in any situation and ABS is off until the switch is turned back on and the ignition is cycled.

Perhaps the most elegant method is outlined at Proper ABS on/off switch
With the switch on there is ABS and with the switch off there is not. The ignition switch does not have to be cycled to turn ABS back on.
Thanks for those opinions and facts.

What I am after has these minimum attributes:
1. When the ABS is disabled, the orange light is on.
2. Should I forget about the switch, ABS comes on normally at the next power-up.
At lower priority, and optional, are these:
3. Is easy to do without cutting, stripping or re-terminating wires.
4. Can be easily undone for the next owner.

At present, it does not seem that either of the usual procedures will have attributes 1 and 2. I would be happy to design and share a solution involving the same power circuits affected by those procedures if those minimum attributes would result. Does the orange light come on when the fuse interrupting actuator power is blown? If so, I could devise a latching-off circuit which would be made to go (and stay) off when a momentary switch is operated. That would get all 4 attributes.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've done the first method mentioned by G-dub. 1, 3, and 4 on your list are covered using that method. Not sure about #2, because I leave the switch open until I want the ABS again. If I come out onto a paved road without the need to stop, I just engage the switch and cycle power as I'm rolling.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
No matter which method is used, the ABS light will go off when enabled and be on when disabled. That should be enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts