StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the '04 stator has about 50 W less output (forgive me if that is an incorrect electrical term) than later models.

I am installing DDM HID 35 W x 2 to save some juice (thanks GW et al for that advice) and want to run Oxfords grips (4 amps), heated jacket liner (6 amps), Zumo w XM (< 2 amps) , Starcom1 Advance (? 2 amps), a cell phone charger at times. Maybe heated boot inserts on occaision (don't knock'em till you've ridden 900 miles with sub 40 weather for the last 300)

I don't know how much power needs to be left to run the bike and charge the battery. I am thinking this is getting close- and a stator running full out out would not be best, so charging at lower RPM may be helpfull?

I guess my question is: should I wait and see how it runs (I do have a charging guage to monitor), or do I add the Mofset (I do some back country trips 100's of miles from stuff)?

I am MOSTconcerned about avoiding long term problems

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
My experience with the Mosfet R/R is that it regulates somewhat better at idle than the stock. But, the stock R/R does't seem to fail much. I just decided to replace everything when I got a burnt stator. Will the Mosfet protect the stator any? I've got my doubts. I am set up now so that a parking lot replacement of stator or R/R is pretty easy.

I'd suggest a voltage monitor as the next money to spend.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The Wee went from 375W to 400W in 2008. If you really want to take in easy on the stator, get a series R/R rather than a MOSFET which is only a bit better in that regard. Series R/Rs handle the excess output heat internally and lose it by finned heat sinks rather than directing it into the oil cooled stator. Be sure to mount it in the airstream. Wee stators seem to be longer lived than Vee stators.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks- I read some post about 2005 being the first improvement

and noted 2004 to 2005 increase from 300 to 350
Wikipedia author says you're right Greywolf

Is this a series R/R ?:
http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen FH012AA Regulator upgrade kit.htm

I do have a voltmeter - it gives battery life left based on each crank and voltage output while running

I guess I will see how it charges with all the gear on as a first step
( now to take off all the plastic)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it isn't- states Mofset right there

apply icecream cone bluntly to forehead

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks-one more question

does the series R/R allow charging at lower RPM?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts