StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this so I apologize if this is the wrong place, but just was wondering if anyone rides with a "modular" or "flip-up" full face helmet. I only ride with a standard full face helmet, but have been looking at these flip up designs lately.

Just wondering if in general they are thought to be noisier or quieter, lighter or heavier, or more comfortable or less than the standard full face models. Also, are they actually designed for riding with the chin-bar in the up position, or is that only for when stopped?

I"m not worried about specific brands at this point, just general info. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Craig

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I have had two Fulmer Modulus Helmets. I retired the first one after about 45,000 miles when the plastic latching mechanism failed.

I looked at other more expensive modulars when I bought a new Fulmer Modulus in the Spring of 2010 for $150.00 now with a new metal latching mechanism.

I wrecked with the new one a few weeks ago and the EMT's disassembled it on site and lost some of the hardware. The chinguard remained closed upon impact.

Modulars as a rule are heavier and noisier and more convenient than one-piece full-face helmets. I don't think modulars are meant to be used at speed with the chinguard up, although I have often done so. Mostly to use the chinguard as a visor in the late afternoon. I have, on occasion, had one close halfway at speed which is rather frightening.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the Bell Revolver. I like it a lot. All my auto racing helmets are Bell, so I trust the build/safety quality.

Its a bit noisy but not bad. However, I wear ear plugs. Riding with it open; at highway speeds acts like a sail and makes the helmet feel heavier, ie, not comfortable. If I want air on my face while at highway speeds, I just open the main shield, not the entire chin bar.

Weight doesn't bother me, feels as an average weight.

It seals nicely from rain too. No complaints there either.

But the feature I appreciate the most is the retractable tinted visor. Its great for riding in and out of sunlight and not needing sunglasses. But I bought the darker visor as the one that came with the helmet was not near dark enough.

I also like the ability to put the helmet on with the chin bar up. It makes putting it on and taking it off much easier.

·
Registered
22,424 Posts
I have had two Fulmer Modulus Helmets. I retired the first one after about 45,000 miles when the plastic latching mechanism failed.
I had a Fulmer Modulus (snowmobile) , one of the hinge points failed the first time I used it the second winter I had it

I bought it only cause it fit my head good

fit has been my issue with other modular helmets

during summer, I don't mind a full helmet, but in winter, a modular is much more convenient

I wanna try on a Bombardier BV2

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Modulars as a rule are heavier and noisier and more convenient than one-piece full-face helmets. I don't think modulars are meant to be used at speed with the chinguard up, although I have often done so.
That sums it up. I've owned several and still have 2 Nolans and a Zoan. I doubt I could go back to a regular full face as the modular is just too convenient. I never ride with the chin bar up unless for very brief periods to sneeze or drink some water. The lightest and most quiet is also the most expensive: Schuberth.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Like previously noted, they do have a tendency to be heavier (relatively), and noisier, (again, depending on what you compare it to). I love mine,(Scorpion EXO900) especially when you're riding with anyone else. It's so convenient when you come to a stop to flip up and chat. It's also nice when you need to sneeze, burp, get your point across to a cager, etc... :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I love my modular helmet; the convenience far outweighs the minor disadvantages. However, the cheap ($100) ones are not worth buying, IMO. They usually have a poor faceshield seal, the latches and hinges are cheesy and break, the liners can't be removed for cleaning, etc.

You can buy a really nice Nolan N102 or N103 for under $250. It's a top of the line helmet; which is being replaced soon with the N104. You can configure it with a factory comm system as well.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I'm using an HJC Symax 2.
I had the Symax before that.

I wear glasses, and putting a modular on is much much much more convenient (none of that slipping the glasses in through the visor opening and getting the branches in your ear).

The Symax2 is pretty cool; it comes with an integrated sunshade that retracts at the push of a button.

Drawbacks are: they are noisier and a bit heavier. They also offer less crash protection around the ears because that's where the flip mechanism is.

If you wear glasses, a modular helmet is very nice (I call it a must). If you don't, the only advantage is that you can have a smoke or a drink while riding if you flip the chinbar up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
However, the cheap ($100) ones are not worth buying, IMO. They usually have a poor faceshield seal, the latches and hinges are cheesy and break, the liners can't be removed for cleaning, etc.
Not my experience with mine. Not a drop of rain has gotten through shield or chin bar seams, hardware is very solid and the liner is removable.

It's also nice when you need to sneeze, burp, get your point across to a cager, etc... :yesnod:
I have yet to learn my lesson on burping inside my helmet . Its worse on my auto helmet (because its sealed much tighter then a moto helmet). Therefore it lingers a lot longer.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the Bell Revolver. I like it a lot. All my auto racing helmets are Bell, so I trust the build/safety quality.

Its a bit noisy but not bad. However, I wear ear plugs. Riding with it open; at highway speeds acts like a sail and makes the helmet feel heavier, ie, not comfortable. If I want air on my face while at highway speeds, I just open the main shield, not the entire chin bar.

I too have the revolver. I find it more noisy than my Bell sprint even with ear plugs. I added foam padding inside the helmet where the ear resides and that helps a lot. When riding in town on warm days and coming to a stop light I flip it up and that makes a world of difference. Anything above 25mph do not ride with it up. The sun visor is also a great feature as you don't have to carry a tinted one. Be prepared, it is noisier than a regular full face, hopefully Bell comes out with improvements to the helmet in that area

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have an original HJC symax. Yes it is much noisier and heavier then the my regular helmet. I am going to be getting the symax III this year. It is supposed to be quite a bit lighter. I will not be going back to a standard anytime soon.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I have an original HJC symax. Yes it is much noisier and heavier then the my regular helmet. I am going to be getting the symax III this year. It is supposed to be quite a bit lighter. I will not be going back to a standard anytime soon.
If the Symax3 is as big an improvement as the 2 was, I guess I'm never going back to a regular helmet (I keep deciding my next lid will be an Arai and then I buy a flip-face again).

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,612 Posts
I just retired my HJC Symax II. After reading reports of the latching mechanism mount breaking ( mine were not broken ) I started thinking about a new helmet.
Things I liked about the modular:
Much easier to put on-it "spreads" easier to go over your head
Convenient at a stop to not always have to remove helmet when fueling or whatever.
When in stop and go traffic in the heat you can raise the chin bar for a bit more air.
Things I don't like about the modular:
Safety-if it spreads easier to put on, how much strength are you giving up?
Overall flimsy feel compared to a regular full face.
Heavier, especially on long rides I notice this more.
Aerodynamics- maybe just on this one, but when you turn your head at speed it really wants to jerk your head around. Much more than other helmets I have had.
Noise-quite a bit more noise, and I do wear ear plugs

The last two helmets I had have been equipped with the internal flip down sun shield. Really love that....when needed. BUT...in the heat here in Texas the sun shield blocks almost all ventilation when retracted. This was the case on both helmets. Considering that I don't use the shield all the time and it is always hot here for 8-9 months I was willing to give that feature up.

I have been riding with a new SHOEI RF 1100. It is almost as quiet WITHOUT ear plugs as the others with ear plugs! Much lighter. Very little buffeting when turning your head sideways at speed. Wonderful shield and operating system for it. Right now I don't see myself going back to a Modular Helmet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought mine so I could stop and take pictures without taking the helmet off. I use an SLR.
Like it is said earlier in the post - noisier.
I also find it windier (translate colder in the winter). So I use my scorpion 1100 during the winter and my scorpion 900 transformer during the rest of the year.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have a HJC flip face helmet on the lower end of the price scale, and I love it. Its light but a bit noisier than an non-flip face helmet. But the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, so I'll keep using this one till it wears out. The liner is removable and washable by the way.
I recommend earplugs in all motorcycling, and if the flip face helmets are too loud at hiways speeds, consider wearing a quieter helmet on long trips. I have a Shoei (non-flip up) that is the quietest helmet I've ever owned, and it is my first choice for longer trips.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I have a HJC flip face helmet on the lower end of the price scale, and I love it. Its light but a bit noisier than an non-flip face helmet. But the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, so I'll keep using this one till it wears out. The liner is removable and washable by the way.
I recommend earplugs in all motorcycling, and if the flip face helmets are too loud at hiways speeds, consider wearing a quieter helmet on long trips. I have a Shoei (non-flip up) that is the quietest helmet I've ever owned, and it is my first choice for longer trips.
How did your battle with 'the man' go after getting busted for having it open in slow moving traffic?

A potential drawback, if you are NOT wearing approved safety glasses, under the helmet and are stopped in traffic by a cop that doesn't understand the intent of the law...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had the origional HJC Sy-Max for 3-4 years and a while back replaced it with a Sy-Max 2. I did try my sons HJC CL-Max for a bit but preferred the Symax 2 hinge mechanism and retracting sun visor.

Always concerned about mouth/nose protection with the modular, I slam-dunked the old SyMax on the driveway before throwing it away. Guess what, yeah it broke at one hinge joint but the flip-up piece was intact otherwise and it was still latched in the down position. Unscientific yes, but it persuaded me to remain loyal to modulars. I flip-up regularly at stop lights to talk to co-riders and also to catch any breeze. I do not ride for any distance with it up though, (manuf. say's a no-no). Putting on a std. full face has always been a pita for me so I like that too.
dave

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Here's the U.K. SHARP tests of "system" helmets. They test helmets on how much they exceed the ECE 22.05 minimum standards, and SHARP shows how often the faceguard remained in place during the testing.
SHARP Helmets
Note that many of the helmets are named differently from their U.S. models, so direct comparison is not always possible.

webBikeWorld.com has tested many flip-up/modular helmets for comfort, quality of features, etc. They note the ones that are made to be used as "convertibles" with the flipper in the up position.
Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

Snell may have had a certified modular years ago, but presently no modular makers have submitted one for testing.
Snell Foundation - Helmet FAQ

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a beautiful and expensive Arai full face. Then I bought an HJC modular and rarely use the Arai. It's just so convenient when stopping to flip the chin bar and converse. Prehaps heavier and more noise but I use ear plugs and a windscreen so it's not a bother. I think Rider or MCN had a modular review in the last few months if you're looking for more info.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
stopped in traffic by a cop that doesn't understand the intent of the law.
Don't you know that the intent of every law is re-election?

Another plus (for me anyways) of a modular helmets is that they make it easy to spit and vomit while you're on the bike.

Also, if you have the visor open and a stinging insect finds it's way in, it's easier to get it out without removing the helmet.

Drive-throughs are easier to deal with.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts