StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THinking about getting a modular helmet - built in communication would be excellent. I turn the floor over to youse!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Howdy,

Check out the HJC IS-MAX BT. Bluetooth ready. Internal sunshield.

US$160-170 solid colors, designs; about $200US.

I have only worn it for about 200 miles, (rain here last 13 of 16 days), it is comfortable fitting.

It is about as noisy as other modulars I've owned. (HJC, G-Max, AFX)

I have -not- used any type of communications with it.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
unless your buddies ride with Sena's don't buy a proprietary Comms helmet. Buy the helmet you want and then get the Sena SMH unit.

I have about 2 years in my Shoei Neotec. with the Sena SMH-10 and I love it.

i liked the Scorpion as well but I couldn't get a good fit as I was inda in between sizes. the XL was to large and the large was to small.

The Neotec in a medium fits me perfect and it comes with the pinlock visor so it is real nice in both winter with the pinlock and the nose and chin curtains in and during the summer hte sun shield and curtains out make for a little noisy but great helmet.

A shoei cam between me and a tree at about 50mph in 1994 and I had no head injury so I am rather brand loyal.

My wife hates Modulars and went with a Quest instead.

go figure

·
Registered
463 Posts
Shoie Neotech or Schuberth E3 the best two helmets I have...and I have a few.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I wear a Shark Evoline 3 ST, which can be worn as a 3/4 or full face. Love it, and I hate helmets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The HJC is a decent helmet, but built to a price and at the bottom of my comfort spectrum. Weight is OK.

The Shoei Multitec is more expensive, but also more comfortable (to me). Lightest weight of the 3 about which I talk here. Easy to install an aftermarket intercom.

The Schuberth C3 Pro is the ultimate, top-end machine. Expensive and heavier than the Shoei, it has a few features the Shoei doesn't have, like the flip-down sun visor, which turned out to be way handier than I thought it would be. Mine came with a pinlock anti-fog visor insert that made me wonder why I never used one before - they're brilliant. Also pretty easy in which to install an aftermarket intercom if you don't want their integral (and pricey) proprietary one. Schuberth makes lower-cost models.

For the price/comfort combo, the Shoei takes the cake; however, I'm finding it harder to grab it over the Schuberth these days. The HJC is for sale.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The HJC is a decent helmet, but built to a price and at the bottom of my comfort spectrum. Weight is OK.

The Shoei Multitec is more expensive, but also more comfortable (to me). Lightest weight of the 3 about which I talk here. Easy to install an aftermarket intercom.

The Schuberth C3 Pro is the ultimate, top-end machine. Expensive and heavier than the Shoei, it has a few features the Shoei doesn't have, like the flip-down sun visor, which turned out to be way handier than I thought it would be. Mine came with a pinlock anti-fog visor insert that made me wonder why I never used one before - they're brilliant. Also pretty easy in which to install an aftermarket intercom if you don't want their integral (and pricey) proprietary one. Schuberth makes lower-cost models.

the price/comfort combo, the Shoei takes the cake; however, I'm finding it harder to grab it over the Schuberth these days. The HJC is for sale.
The Shoie Neotech is way better then my Multitech. I never even wear the multitech anymore. It has the drop down sunshade like my Schuberth. My Schuberth is my favorite but my Neotech a very close second...difference of $100.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'll put in a vote for Nolan. I have a N90 and love it, along with my Sena SMH-10. The very well made N91 was $190 at Revzilla, and came with a pinlock. Of course, it helps to have a Nolan shaped head.:thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have an HJC modular (the cheaper one) with the Chatterbox bluetooth and I do like it when the bluetooth works. The contact through the helmet don't always make contact so the right speaker cuts out, the mic I have such a hard time using that I don't use it. The bluetooth is only good for listening, I couldn't stand to try to use it for intercom or talking in the phone. My only option is to get a new helmet kit (speakers, mic and boom, and attached connection points that mount in helmet, $40+-. Not even positive that will fix, and then wouldn't be able to work with my two friends, that have two different types. Need to wait for a sena 20.

Lately, I have been using my older full face HJC (CL16, I think). It's quieter, fits better, and doesn't leave a line on my forehead.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
393 Posts
HJC IS- MAX BT.... noisiest, rattling pos I ever wasted money on.... save and buy a Nolan N104, or better.... you get what you pay for in modular.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What is the purpose in a Modular helmet? Does it make it easier to stop and have a cancer stick or something? I really don't see the purpose besides making a helmet that is basically less structurally sound than a one-piece design :confused:.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What is the purpose in a Modular helmet? Does it make it easier to stop and have a cancer stick or something? I really don't see the purpose besides making a helmet that is basically less structurally sound than a one-piece design :confused:.
In my case, when I work a bicycle race as a moto referee, I can talk to the riders, passing them time splits, etc. Same is true of working a marathon, breast cancer walk, etc.

In general, it's nice to be able to go into a convenience store or gas station and converse with a clerk without having to yell through a chin bar.

Finally, since I work on a military base, the gate guards like that they can see my ugly mug and compare it with my ID card.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Shoie Neotech is way better then my Multitech. I never even wear the multitech anymore. It has the drop down sunshade like my Schuberth. My Schuberth is my favorite but my Neotech a very close second...difference of $100.
I'll have to try the Neotech, but for a long time, I couldn't get comfy in a Shoei - the Multi is the first one I've been able to stand. I have an Arai-shaped head, apparently. Even the Schuberth and I are still getting used to each other.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm on my second modular shoei.
Multitech got good use out of it, and on the shelf now.
Replaced with a neotech. Love it, versatile, sun shield, pin lock, and sooper awesome bonus, you can walk into a store or bank, and not look like you're about to rob the place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I started with the HJC IS Max BT - I was on a budget. My 3 yr old got ahold of it and flipped it off of her head - a 2 foot drop at best - and the pins that held the modular part of the helmet together sheered, and the front end came apart. Glad that happened then, instead of when I would have needed it to save my nugget.

I then bought a Lazer Monaco. Very comfortable, and one of the lightest helmets on the market (56 0z) - The Pure Carbon version of this helmet is only 53 oz. I got the cheapest version and the price was around $350. It has the pinlock system and a photochromatic face shield, which darkens and lightens very quick. It's a nice feature. Don't need sunglasses and you don't have the weight of the internal sun visor. Peripheral visibility is above average, in my opinion. Air flow through the helmet is great - I have never had to have the top vent all the way open. The helmet also comes pre-wired for the proprietary Lazer comms, which are crap. But, there are places to run the wires for whatever comms you want as a result. The one drawback is that it's noisy, but I ride with earplugs anyway. This helmet is my go to for around the city and day trips. I will say this though - if the "Window" model of this helmet would have been available when I ordered mine, I would have bought it. It addresses the noise problem and is even lighter! And it still reasonable at $500. I think the Lazer helmets give you a good bang-to-buck ratio. Go a size big for fit - these are European helmets.

My favorite is my Shoei Neotec. It is the most comfortable (albeit fairly heavy in comparison to my Lazer) and most quiet that I have ever owned, but I have only ever owned modular. The sun visor is super simple to use and is very smooth and quiet, unlike the ratcheting feel of the HJC sun visor. I miss the photochromatic visor, but the plushness and all the bells and whistles of the Neotec offset the loss of that feature. It was more expensive - $600 - but well worth it. If you are looking for any-distance comfort, the Shoei is the best choice. The faceshield is also, for lack of a better word, impeccable. Its like looking through glass - it is just that good.

That is my 2 cents on the matter! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Shoei Multitec. Got it for the last chance bargain for $300. First modular, and most comfortable lid I've owned. Wife got one too (our heads are the same shape).

The convenience factor is worth it. I trust it to be a safe helmet, therefore I wear it. The new has Neotec replaced it. That will be my next bargain deal.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I take it you don't wear glasses. 8) It is a pain to even try on a FF in a store. I started with a $100 Zeus and now have a $200-or-so HJC. My next will be Schuberth or Shoei or one of the high-end brands. Having always worn a modular, I would still go that route even if my eyesight were magically restored for overall convenience. Any compromise in safety, if one exists, is trivial compared to that of the decision to throw a leg over a motorcycle in the first place. Yeah, modular! :hurray:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just bought a bilt evolution. I have only worn it for about 150 miles. So far it is awesome. I got it on sale for $120. I have worn arai, shoei, shark and hjc before. The bilt has surprised me. Very quiet, very comfortable. The internal drop down visor comes down a bit farther than the shoei neotec which I like. The airflow is a bit lacking but I have the givi af3101 screen so I just adjust it a bit to allow more airflow to the helmet. With the money saved I can get a good communicator.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I absolutely love the Modular design. I have come from years of one piece full face ones. Yes, they are quieter and lighter. I love to be able to raise the from for communication. I often leave my helmet on when going into the gas station because with the front up, you can communicate and done feel like a "bank robber". The I have a great Shoie Multitech in the for sale section at this time. I just picked up a Neotech for two reasons. One, my wife wanted them to match (Yikes) and the second is that the Neotech has the sunscreen built in that can be powered. If it is real warm, I very often raise the modular part while riding thru small towns. The sunscreen is great when you want to ride with Visor up yet you keep the sunscreen down for eye protection.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts