StromTrooper banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks @oldjeep
So you had a satisfactory experience, I take it?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks @oldjeep
So you had a satisfactory experience, I take it?
No problems at all. Ordered online 2/5/2020 and it arrived yesterday (2/18/2020). Mine shipped out of Germany via DHL and was handed over to USPS for delivery. Tracking with both carriers sucks compared to FedEx international, but it arrived in their estimated 2 week timeframe. Paid $575 shipped for a helmet that costs $799 in the US. (Neotec 2 Splicer TC-6)

I've ordered a fair amount of MC parts from Europe because of the price differences (mostly MotoStorm), none of it is made here anyways so might as well buy closer to the source.

The biggest issue is knowing the right size in a particular helmet. I wouldn't go into a local store and try them on and then order overseas to save money, doesn't seem right. But in my case I had tried on a ton of helmets at the cycle show, so I knew what fit.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Motorgearstore.com - I went their site today and saw the RPHA 90 was on sale for $372 CAD - GREAT price. I put a Hi Viz yellow one in my cart and asked via the chat thing about the cheek pads. Guy said the helmet was out of stock, they were updating the site and asked if I wanted a different colour. I said sure, white. After a couple of minutes he said that's out of stock, too, and offered me an RPHA 70 in white - full-face, not flip-up and more expensive. Maybe I'll look at it again sometime, but not impressed.

Glad it worked out for you Chuck.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Motorgearstore.com - I went their site today and saw the RPHA 90 was on sale for $372 CAD - GREAT price. I put a Hi Viz yellow one in my cart and asked via the chat thing about the cheek pads. Guy said the helmet was out of stock, they were updating the site and asked if I wanted a different colour. I said sure, white. After a couple of minutes he said that's out of stock, too, and offered me an RPHA 70 in white - full-face, not flip-up and more expensive. Maybe I'll look at it again sometime, but not impressed.

Glad it worked out for you Chuck.

Cheers,
Glenn
Don't know what size you are looking for, but FC Moto is showing stock in most sizes - $286 USD Must be a closeout/discontinued, even dennis kirk is selling them for about 1/2 retail right now

https://www.fc-moto.de/

·
Registered
550 Posts
Don't know what size you are looking for, but FC Moto is showing stock in most sizes - $286 USD Must be a closeout/discontinued, even dennis kirk is selling them for about 1/2 retail right now

https://www.fc-moto.de/
Thanks Chuck. Medium is my size, but learned from my current RPHA-Max that I need the cheek pads for a large. Yes, thanks for the link. I have been browsing their site quite often. Looks like they have a sale on now. Shipping is $30 CAD, but even at that I save $100+.

I'll have a look at DK, too.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hmmm...I want the RPHA 90 Yellow in an XL. I'll have to check tomorrow.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well forget what I said. I returned the LS2 helmet. The contours on the side of the helmet prevented mounting of my Sena 20S. I did like the way the LS2 could be used as a 3/4 helmet.

Picked up a Shoei Neotec 2 and Sena SRL system at the Toronto Bike show yesterday at 20% off. Always satisfied with the best!

·
Administrator
13,198 Posts
Hmmm...I want the RPHA 90 Yellow in an XL. I'll have to check tomorrow.
I picked up on a RPHA 90 in black last night on my way home from work. Transferred my comm system to it last night, installed the pinlock and ready to ride. Unfortunately today's snow might mean it's a few days before I get a chance to ride it.

It is replacing my Shoei Neotec. The chin bar in the Shoei no longer stays up reliably and the dealer says the particular part that is worn out is not able to be ordered.

The helmet feels quite nice walking around the house. It seems like it will be quiet when riding (but won't know until I try it.) The fit for me is pretty much the same as the Shoei and quality wise it seems comparable to the Shoei. Nice step up quality wise from the older HJC's I had.

..Tom

·
Registered
406 Posts
@V-Tom
Any more impressions on RPHA-90? How is the fit? True to size?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would love to tell everyone what my favorite helmet is and that everyone should buy one.

Doesn't matter. FIT is the first most important thing. There are two things to FIT. One is the correct FIT. Meaning it probably feels too tight when new and especially so on your cheeks. Two is comfort FIT. If you get sore spots anywhere from a helmet, even wearing one 10 hours without removing it, there are better fitting options for you.

Then you get into the other stuff like noise, internal visor, Snell or not, modular or not, etc. There is a difference in helmets based on price, but it isn't everything.

The most overlooked problem concerning noise is simply the way your windshield works. Naked bikes with no screen can be more noisy, but also a lot smoother! Turbulence creates noise and assaults your helmet. Wears you down. A really good windshield/deflector package can make a noisy helmet seem ok! But no helmet, even with ear plugs, will be quiet with a bad windshield when at speed.

The number one mistake made by helmet buyers, in my opinion, is not going somewhere that has a lot of helmets in stock and trying them on. A bunch of them, even those you might think you are not interested in. You will know the one when you try it on!
Amen about trying different helmets. But a warning about buying slightly tight if it’s a Schuberth. The darn thing hasn’t loosened in the slightest in my five years of owning it. I loved every cheap HJC 3/4 I owned, and usually replaced them after a few years when the foam had compressed so much that they started feeling loose. In contrast I would love a good excuse to throw away that vise on my head called Schuberth C3 but it’s still like new.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,210 Posts
You cab buy different sized cheekpads for most helmets. That will fix the fit if it is close to correct to start with. Might make your Schuberth just right!

·
Administrator
13,198 Posts
@V-Tom
Any more impressions on RPHA-90? How is the fit? True to size?
We've had a fair amount of snow since I got it so I don't have any riding report.

I'm German by birth so am a square head. Generally my head fits the box a helmet comes in better than the helmet itself. Over the years I have found HJC symax, Scorpion EXO900 and Shoei Neotec fit me well as XL. This one also seems to fit me perfectly.

Hard to say how quiet it will be when riding but reviews say it is quiet. Certainly when wearing it at home it seems quiet. The opening and closing chin bar and faceshield feels like quality mechanisms and I think it is about a lb lighter than my Neotec.

One impression I get is of quality. I had several HJC's and they worked well but felt built to a price. The scorpion's felt better (although there is a flaw in the chinbar latching mechanism as each one I had failed). The Shoei was obviously of better quality and the RPHA feels as good.

When we get past this snow I'll be happy to post my riding impressions.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,198 Posts
I rode with it a bit today. Temperature was from freezing to just above freezing. Only went a little round the block, just about 130 km. Secondary roads and a bit of highway.

The Pinlock did it's thing and never got any fogging. The helmet was comfy. Vented well and the chin bar mechanism worked well and stayed up solidly when I left it up.

I think it was reasonably quiet. Maybe not quite as quiet as the Shoei but certainly not loud. I can't really be sure as I have a different windshield on and I think I get a bit more noise with it. I'll switch back to what I was using and see how it is next time I ride.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Pinlocks are WONDERFUL!

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Got a chance to try out the Shoei yesterday, and I would say it is significantly quieter than my ls2. Was riding with the vents all closed since it is below freezing here, but so far so good. I do have some custom molded earplugs coming as well. Audiologist says my hearing is still in normal range even with the tinnitus. At 50 that is good news.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts