StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been using an LS2 Valiant modular helmet for the last couple years. It is an XL long oval and fits pretty well after I bought a set of the XXL thinner cheek pads. It is also a very noisy helmet even with the vents closed.

At the MC show this year I tried on a few helmets and ordered a Shark One 2 helmet, however now that it is here I am really not that impressed that it takes 2 hands to get the front to latch sometimes. May return it and try again.

Online I see that Schuberth C3 Pro helmets are pretty well regarded (c4 seem pretty hated) and do well in terms of noise
Also the Shoei neotec 2 seems to have good reviews in terms of noise

Both my LS2 and Shark are rated as open faced helmets as well - although I don't really care about that. Aside from a low speed parking lot class I wouldn't ride with the chin guard in the back of the helmet position

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your LS2 isn't in the same price range as the Shoei or the Schubert. I currently wear an HJC RPHA MAX EVO, which is light, comfortable and reasonably quiet without breaking the bank. The current version is the RPHA 90, which is even better, apparently. My advice: visit the shops and try a few on.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your LS2 isn't in the same price range as the Shoei or the Schubert. I currently wear an HJC RPHA MAX EVO, which is light, comfortable and reasonably quiet without breaking the bank. The current version is the RPHA 90, which is even better, apparently. My advice: visit the shops and try a few on.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
What I have found is that price has little to do with it. The LS2 was about $250, the Shark was about $380 on sale. I can buy the Schubert for around $375 and the Shoei for around $520. HJC don't fit my head.

Honestly I don't care about the difference between $250 and $520 when it comes to a helmet, more interested in the noise control. I've tried them all on, but that tells you nothing about what they are like at 80MPH

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
My Givi Airflow made my Scorpion even quieter. I have both the 900 and 950.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Even for habitual earplug users like myself, a quieter helmet is still appreciated. Not modular, but my current Scorpion EXO-R2000 helmet is quite noisy compared to my previous Arai. Even more so when the (pretty effective) top vents are open.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wear earplugs for longer rides, but for around town - in and out of stores I find them to be a pain. So I want to get the quietest helmet I can find (that fits properly)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I purchased an LS2 Valiant model late this fall during a sale. I will not get a chance to try it until the spring. I have plastic molded ear plugs which I always wear. I figured the LS2 would be noisy when I bought it but rationalized that it does not matter with the ear plugs. I will probably get a spare set of ear plugs at the bike show this month.
The other part of the formula is windshields. I use a Madstad on my Vstrom and am Aeroflow (not a Givi Airflow) on my R1200rt.

I really wanted a Shoei Neotec 2 but it was $500 more than the LS2 here in Canada.

so....my solution is molded ear plugs, a good windshield and good music on the Sena.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
The C3 is quiet but nothing remarkable and very expensive. 3/4 tend to be quieter.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
The bride and I have been using the Shark Evo's for a few years and until recently they were always a one handed operation, then the bride started to have problems, when I had a look there is a couple of Philip's head screws in the flip mechanism, they had worked loose, I snugged them down with a dab of Loctite and it is back to a one handed operation.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Reducing fwind noise and buffeting around and under my helmet is my life's work; never finished. I too am dedicated to modulars. Shoei's and Arai's fit me, but there is no Arai modular. Schuberths and AGV's do not, though I like them very much. I'm not an HJC fan, but I don't discount their value.

I've just purchased Big Ear molded earplugs, and used them twice. They seem quite good. But with any helmet, my experience is that the vents on the chin and top can be a notable source of noise. But a very important factor is sealing the helmet around your neck (my neck, I suppose). Using a neck tube, even a thin one, that comes over my chin, under the strap, really helps- more than I thought it would.

All reports that I've read say the LS-2 is very noisy, so you can probably improve on that item. The Shoei Neotech II is better/ quieter than the Neo I, says I, having had both.

I figure that a quiet helmet may mean you don't need ear plugs for lower speed rides in town or making the rounds of the shops. For highway riding, ear plugs are a must have, IMHO. Once you're deaf, d'ere ain't no goin' back. Eh?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been using an LS2 Valiant modular helmet for the last couple years. It is an XL long oval and fits pretty well after I bought a set of the XXL thinner cheek pads. It is also a very noisy helmet even with the vents closed.

At the MC show this year I tried on a few helmets and ordered a Shark One 2 helmet, however now that it is here I am really not that impressed that it takes 2 hands to get the front to latch sometimes. May return it and try again.

Online I see that Schuberth C3 Pro helmets are pretty well regarded (c4 seem pretty hated) and do well in terms of noise
Also the Shoei neotec 2 seems to have good reviews in terms of noise

Both my LS2 and Shark are rated as open faced helmets as well - although I don't really care about that. Aside from a low speed parking lot class I wouldn't ride with the chin guard in the back of the helmet position

Thoughts?
I have the Schuberth lite.... I find it is a little quieter without a windshield. Put it behind a windshield and it is as noisy as the rest. The fit may be troublesome. HJC or Nolan helmets fit me correctly but the Schurberth has more hot spots than a campfire.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
It’s a tough thing to get a modular helmet that fits for me. Quietness would be nice too. I’m currently wearing an HJC is-max in 3X. Not finding much in that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,823 Posts
Have a Nolan X-Lite....super nice high end modular which I believe Nolan is now Shark? I'ts no more quiet than my excellent Scorpion AT950, but the interior materials quality, optical clarity, fit & finish is superior, also love the ratchet strap/quick release chin strap.

·
Registered
241 Posts
LS2 is the only brand RevZilla lists as a long oval in a modular...
I like the Shoei is a fine brand, Arai 's are simply the best, Schuberth is a mixed bag at a premium price...
Modulars are different fits & you'll have to play with the replaceable pads to get your fit right.
No substitute for putting it on for that.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have a Nolan X-Lite....super nice high end modular which I believe Nolan is now Shark? I'ts no more quiet than my excellent Scorpion AT950, but the interior materials quality, optical clarity, fit & finish is superior, also love the ratchet strap/quick release chin strap.
Had to google it, but it appears that Shark bought Nolan last year.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts