StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Last Sept I was hit by a car, flew through the air, and did a concrete face plant. I walked away with only soreness and bruising. I had on full gear, including a full face helmet. It could be that the modular helmets are strong enough to take a big blow and not come open but I prefer no to take the chance and will keep on using a regular full face helmet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wear a modular helmet and I really like it. I'm about to buy a new helmet (and leaning toward another modular). The safety argument intrigues me and 'raptor has me thinking. Somewhere, somebody has had to have tested these things by direct hit to the chin. I would be very interested in hearing the results.
If you do but a modular helmet, make sure the locking mechanism is metal and not plastic.

Prof

B

·
0 Posts
There are conflicting reports about the saftey of modular helmets. Some say they work just as well as a full face, others say they don't.

But there is more to it than safety. All gear is a compromise. If you have the best suit in the world but it's poorly ventilated and you can't use it in hot weather it's not much good.

I have used modular since they came out about 6 years ago. The convenience factor outweighs any saftey concerns for my use

·
Registered
195 Posts
tried on the KBC in daytona....ended up buying another nolon 101e. just fit my head better.
the kbc was quite heavy, altho had exposed metal-to-metal which is comforting and the price was cetainly competative. may want to try one on and purchase from local dealer. any money saved by on-line purchase could be wasted on an uncomfortable helmet. <just don't go into dealer to fit, then buy from internet....that is REALLY bogus>

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just picked up a KBC FFR myself. Took the scoot to lunch today and it was my first time riding with the helmet. Its my first flip-up.

All in all not too bad. Its noisier than my AC-11 and definetly lets more wind thru. Will be good in summer....not as good right now. Its not as comfy as teh AC-11, but probably just needs sometime for the pads to shape themselves to my cabesa like the AC-11 has.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Zeus modular

I read about these on webbikeworld, where they were impressed and called them a great bargain. For under $100, I had to see for myself. I stumbled on a shop that had some and the large (my hat size is 7 3/8) fit perfectly.

The shell is small and fairly round, but there is still enough room for my nose and chin (a problem with some of the more expensive modulars I have tried). It is fairly heavy, but I only notice it when I carry it by hand. The vent covers look and feel cheap and the top vents rattle in the wind at the closed setting. The padding and straps are very comfortable.

The smooth, round shape sheds some of the buffeting from the Strom's windshield. It is loud, even at low speeds, but then it is not much louder at high speeds. The shield moves easily and stays put at all of the notches. It does not have a "just a crack" opening, though. The first notch is about an inch.

After about a month, I am happy with the helmet. I will not say it is just as good as a $600 helmet, but I definately feel I got more than my $100 worth.

L

·
0 Posts
VStromper, he was talking about the Zeus I think - I got one for under $100 new from an eBay merchant and agree with everything he said - it's not much worse than my SyMax that cost twice as much.

But I'll be anxious to find the new KBC in a store, because either I have an abnormal jaw, or EVERY slip-face helmet I've ever tried (Zeus, Arrow, HJC, Shoei) is shorter front-to-back than my CL-14 HJC full-face, as well as every other full-face I've ever tried. My chin hits the chin bar in every flip-face helmet unless I rotate them way back on my head. The first time I find a modular helmet that doesn't rub my chin, I'll buy two of them and put one away in case they get discontinued!

L

·
0 Posts
Would love to see a Strommer head this way, let me know, but the chances of your helmet working for a try-on are probably slim unless you share my disability of an enormous head - I'm a 2XL. That makes it hard to find try-on helmets in stores, even big stores with a whole wall of helmets, and I've had more than one salesperson do a double-take when an XL full-face just sits on top of my head like a beanie and won't even begin to pull on.

That's why I mail-ordered the Zeus, I hadn't seen an actual one in 2XL anywhere and figured it was a minimal risk at about $90. It actually fits reasonably well and seems decent quality except for the chinbar problem, but is no better in that respect than my SyMax or my old Shoei Synchrotech. I end up wearing a 3/4 model during warm weather (which, as you probably know, is most of the time down here - it's gong to be 72 degrees today but with the traditional March hundred-mile-an-hour wind), because I would rather risk my chin hittng the pavement than have a permanent red spot from chafing it.

I was planning to get a new 3/4 this year because I liked the new Bell MAG-8, inexpensive, nice looking, retractable shield and a Wing rider friend has one he loves. Bell even came out with the proper color I wanted for 2005 - but it discontinued the 2XL size! And manufacturers only make a couple actual shell sizes and change the fit by adding/subtracting foam and padding inside, so a 2XL helmet has less protective innards than the smaller sizes. If I could stick my head in the dryer and shrink it, I would.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lmundy

That's one more thing we have in common, hence our similar problems. My current helmet (KBC Vision ful face) is a 2XL and the KBC FFR modular I tried on in the store was a 2XL. It fits great. My son (in Arlington) wears a 3/4 (for the heat) and I admit it looks pretty sharp, but I get the willies thinking about picking asphalt out of my face.

Anyway the FFR is the only 2XL modular I tried on that fit me and I tried several different brands. Availability suggests that people in Colorado are big headed, I wonder if that's because of our superior motorcycle terrain? :lol:

k

·
Registered
85 Posts
I own a HJC full face and a Fulmer 3/4, but I just recently purchased my first modular helmet to enjoy the best of both worlds. I tried on the low and mid-level HJC's (did not try the cool looking brand new model), Fulmer's and Vega's versions, but I was not real impressed with the flip-up quality/feel of any of them. So, I ended up getting a new for 2005, Nolan N100E Cyclone model (blue/black/white/silver striped, but they have a red and black/silver version too). It looks great and is a very well made helmet. The flip up portion locks securely with metal latches and function very smoothly. It also has great peripheral vision for a full-face helmet. I can check my blind spots (stock windshield) easily and effectively. Feels and works better than my HJC full face. I'm very happy with the purchase, and recommend the brand/model.

J

·
0 Posts
Velociraptor said:
Last Sept I was hit by a car, flew through the air, and did a concrete face plant. I walked away with only soreness and bruising. I had on full gear, including a full face helmet. It could be that the modular helmets are strong enough to take a big blow and not come open but I prefer no to take the chance and will keep on using a regular full face helmet.
In my MSF course they quoted a statistic on how often, during a crash, a rider lands face/chin first. If I remember correctly (this was several years ago) it was a fairly high percentage.

My wife hit a car head on last year (well, it was more of a glancing blow) but her helmet was deeply grooved from the chin, all the way along the side. This definitely saved her from disfigurement at the very least. Not to say that a modular helmet would not have done the job but it's something to think about. That's a lot of force coming down on that hinge. I will say modular helmets are really helpful when you wear glasses.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is an interesting article on a few of the flip up helmets offered. Like motorcycles themselves, when it comes down to the nitty-gritty, it's all about the buyer's preference.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/fliphelmets/

I've read this article, and like most from Motorcycle Cruiser, I've found them extremely helpful in deciding on future purchases. Based on their review, I would not hesitate to purchase a modular helmet that they recommended. I've never owned one myself and having seen a picture oin the past of someone with a 3/4 helmet hitting jaw first, I've been inclinded to stick with full-face helmets. With technology constantly inproving, I would give some of these a consideration next time around.

L

·
0 Posts
Vstromper, thanks. I have new hope that there's a modular helmet out there that will fit me, although no one seems to have the KBC on the shelf yet locally and my experience with mail-order helmet shopping hasn't been good. I've even thought about carving the padding out of my SyMax chinbar, on the assumption that an unpadded chinbar is better than none at all . . .

I'm glad you do have such superior bike roads, it gives us Texans someplace to go in the summer when the Strom's temp gauge shows 4 bars even before you start it up. 3/4's are popular here because of the heat - especially in Arlington where your son lives, because it's a town of 300,000 or 400,000 people that only has 3 big roads. If you live in just the right part of Arlington, it's possible to spend half an hour on surface streets, just trying to get out of town . . . luckily I'm closer to the periphery of the urban sprawl, but I still have to ride a ways to find an elevation change bigger than a fire ant mound.

To the later posters, yes, I know I'll be sorry if I land on my chin wearing an open-face helmet. But full-face helment vents really don't work all that wll, and I've also had to deal a couple times with heatstroke while riding, so I'll accept a little more risk to avoid doing THAT again, because you don't know it's happening until you're already losing it. I rode from Austin to Houston one afternoon in August at 106 degrees, sloshing down water all the way, got to a friend's house, reached for the kickstand and discovered my legs had quit obeyng my brain. One black Concours and one confused rider fell over like the tricycle on the old Laugh-in show. Whoever invented these new mesh jackets, I could kiss him/her/it.

W

·
0 Posts
I wear an Arai Quantum helmet. Insanely comfy and has by far the best venting of any helmet on the market. The eyebrow vents on the face shield are a godsend in high heat. Bad news is that it isn't cheap...about $450. Made of fiberglass composites, it'll also absorb a significantly higher impact than Lexan helmets.

I've found it completely comfortable when moving in temps in the mid 110's, and it's tolerable in 100+ degree weather at a standstill for at least 15 minutes (not moving the entire time) and the helmet is black.

I find that when riding in temperatures over 100 degrees, wearing a textile mesh riding jacket instead of solid textile or leather makes by far, the most difference to overall comfort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Modular helmet

Try the Vega Summit. I am pleased with this approx $100 purchase. The removable liner is of a very soft, quality material similar to a fleece jacket with a shorter nap. Not too heavy or loud (less noise/buffeting than that heavy, junk ZR-1 the dealer included with the bike). The modulars are very handy if/when you wear glasses/sunglasses. A real asset on group rides or fuel stops where you can stop/talk/drink/snack/take pictures, etc. without removing the helmet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts