StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

So bought my 2011 wee last week after passing and really after advice on prioritizing mods are additions. She is in great condition and basically stock. She is rocking Givi engine bars and the Suzuki hard luggage and top box.

Now as you can imagine im excited to start throwing things on her but before i do, can anyone one of you seasoned guys give me a heads up on things to do straight out the gate, or atleast address early on?
Any help welcome and thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Well congrats to your new ride!

Ride the bike for a while and that will tell you what you like and dislike. The more things bother you the higher up on the priority list to tackle the issue. Without knowing more details and what you usage of the bike will be I would not spend any money on it right away. Plus with a little patience you will find all sorts of goodies being offered here for sale to deck out your ride the way its best for you.

That being said many are bothered by buffeting. If that is you look into the GIVI Airflow screen.
If you can't tolerate the seat (assuming its stock) try a Sit&Fly cover before investing into an aftermarket seat.

NEVA20 Rally: Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
NEVA20 - July 31 to August 2, 2020 - Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Last time someone asked a general question like this I told them to call me, because it is a long discussion. I can't do that so I'll hit the highlights.

The essentials:

Mirror extenders - bet your looking at your shoulders if you don't have them.

Fork Brace - improves all kinds of handling, cornering and straight line.

Foot peg and control lowering - decreases bend at the knee. A real improvement for long distance comfort.

After that it starts to get personal based on personal measurements. (no, not that personal)

Taller riders might want to raise the rear and check to make sure the forks have not been raised up in the triple clamp to lower the front end. Taller riders often have bigger feet and may benefit from a gear shift relocation kit.

shorter riders might want to raise the forks in the triple clamp and lower the rear end and equal amount. It can be done in increments to suit the individual, but do not go more than 1.125" up or down as this exceeds the space available in some unforgiving ways.

I could go on and on, but maybe it would be better if you ride the bike for a little while and think about what needs changing, because one of the things that make a V-Strom great is its ability to be modified to suit the owner nearly perfectly (if not completely perfectly).

After that people here will be glad to point out the best heated grips, tires, windscreens, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well congrats to your new ride!

Ride the bike for a while and that will tell you what you like and dislike. The more things bother you the higher up on the priority list to tackle the issue. Without knowing more details and what you usage of the bike will be I would not spend any money on it right away. Plus with a little patience you will find all sorts of goodies being offered here for sale to deck out your ride the way its best for you.

That being said many are bothered by buffeting. If that is you look into the GIVI Airflow screen.
If you can't tolerate the seat (assuming its stock) try a Sit&Fly cover before investing into an aftermarket seat.

NEVA20 Rally: Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
NEVA20 - July 31 to August 2, 2020 - Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Thank you both! And yes buffeting has been noticeable so Givi screen is a fantastic shout. I have been considering an aftermarket seat but for all the wrong reasons 😆. Some of them just look so damn cool with strom across them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last time someone asked a general question like this I told them to call me, because it is a long discussion. I can't do that so I'll hit the highlights.

The essentials:

Mirror extenders - bet your looking at your shoulders if you don't have them.

Fork Brace - improves all kinds of handling, cornering and straight line.

Foot peg and control lowering - decreases bend at the knee. A real improvement for long distance comfort.

After that it starts to get personal based on personal measurements. (no, not that personal)

Taller riders might want to raise the rear and check to make sure the forks have not been raised up in the triple clamp to lower the front end. Taller riders often have bigger feet and may benefit from a gear shift relocation kit.

shorter riders might want to raise the forks in the triple clamp and lower the rear end and equal amount. It can be done in increments to suit the individual, but do not go more than 1.125" up or down as this exceeds the space available in some unforgiving ways.

I could go on and on, but maybe it would be better if you ride the bike for a little while and think about what needs changing, because one of the things that make a V-Strom great is its ability to be modified to suit the owner nearly perfectly (if not completely perfectly).

After that people here will be glad to point out the best heated grips, tires, windscreens, etc.
Thank you so much!! I really didnt expect so much solid advice and there are points in there that hadn't even occurred to me.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I'm with Blaustrom on this one...just ride it for a while and see what it is that you personally don't like about the bike. Back when I bought my 650, I heard lots of guys saying you absolutely had to get a different windscreen, don't even bother with the stock one, because the buffeting was terrible Or that you'd never be able to ride more than a couple hours on the stock seat. Neither of those were true as far as my experience with the bike goes, so that was a few hundred dollars I saved myself right off the bat.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
You should ask the mods to move this to the right section, you may get better results and more replies in the 650 section.

OK I see I was beaten to the punch by 2thDr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts