StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am looking for advice on exhaust modifications for my Glee.

I have a set of SW-Motech panniers but don't like to use them because they are stupid wide. Problem is mainly the exhaust forcing the right side pannier out. Has anyone seen a modification to lower the muffler so it passes under the pannier, allowing the pannier frame to be moved in closer? Second stage modification might include removing the body coloured panel in the plastic section just below the pillion seat, get pannier frames a further 20mm in.

I am not interested in changing the sound, improving performance etc - I like it nice and quiet, just the way it is. Also trying to get this done as simply and cheaply as possible. I don't want to spend 1/2 the value of the bike on an aftermarket exhaust that will just annoy me with the noise. But if there is a reasonably priced bolt on option I would be keen to know about it. (eg wrecked SV650 exhaust, cheap slip on, etc?)

If I have to mod it, I am thinking just to cut the existing pipe, rotate the muffler down (custom brackets required - I think I can handle this) and either re-weld or use a clamp type exhaust joiner with the angle built in. I don't have any exhaust welding experience so this would involve finding a cooperative exhaust shop. However if there is a smarter way I am more than open to suggestions.

There is still a lot of detail checking to do but I have already confirmed there is clearance to the swing arm etc and the muffler should still be inside the lean angle. So this should be doable without compromising on road performance. Might be different off road but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit. I also notice it will protrude back further as it swings down, not great but still to be thought through.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My happy trail panniers when mounted are are about bar width. I can easily pass through traffic where other bikes have to stop. A differemt system or even soft luggage sounds like an easier fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts