StromTrooper banner

"Modified" Exhaust, no fix, quietest after market?

6029 Views 26 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  glitch_oz
My new to me 2005 DL650.

PO cut pea shooter, drilled out the core and drilled 3 3/8" and 2 1/2" holes. It is way too loud for me and doesnt sound "good". Since it is so "modified", it cant be brought back. I have not been able to find an intact stocker, so I guess I will consider an after market.

Current exhaust with the cap off.

There is also a k&n air filter and the po pulled the snorkel. I do have the snorkel to reinstall.

With so much "free flow", I think the bike doesnt run up to par. Low end torque is less than it should be, and it is too loud to routinely run up the rpms.

So, what is the consensus quietest aftermarket exhaust?

I plan to do forest service roads, so reasonably quiet and spark arrestor is important. I also want the lower rpm torque back.

So, would you go back to stock filter with the snorkel in, as well?

What set up do some of you adventure/off road guys use?

In the meantime, what would happen if I did this? Negative consequenses?

Burned valves? Hole in the pistons? It is only barely quieter that way.

Thanks for any advice!
See less
My new to me 2005 DL650.

PO cut pea shooter, drilled out the core and drilled 3 3/8" and 2 1/2" holes. It is way too loud for me and doesnt sound "good". Since it is so "modified", it cant be brought back. I have not been able to find an intact stocker, so I guess I will consider an after market.

Current exhaust with the cap off.

There is also a k&n air filter and the po pulled the snorkel. I do have the...
See more
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Do not block center hole, I don't think that would be a good idea. Can you get somebody to weld the extra holes and put a small pipe back on? Does not look non-reversible to me.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have a friend with a welder and can close up the holes and weld on another peashooter. That might be my short term fix.

But, since the center is drilled completely out and is essentially a straight pass through, I doubt it will be much quieter and there is certainly no spark arrestor. If I do the partial repairs, I figure I can also weld a mesh of some kind to "act" as a spark arrestor, probably over the rear of the outlet hole of the cap.

After reading ALL the modified exhaust threads I can find here, on vsri and adv, I dont expect this repair is a long term solution.

Thus, I am still looking for an unmolested stocker or an after market solution.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions!

· Registered
77 Posts
You are going to want to find an unmolested stock exhaust. None of the aftermarket exhausts are going to be quiet and most are not USFS approved spark arresters. Post it up in the wanted section. Loads of people have added aftermarket exhausts so a stocker should not be that hard to find.

· Registered
516 Posts
JB weld the holes shut

· Registered
516 Posts
Yes, chalk up each hole flat then JB weld over the chalk that should do the trick.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are going to want to find an unmolested stock exhaust. None of the aftermarket exhausts are going to be quiet and most are not USFS approved spark arresters. Post it up in the wanted section. Loads of people have added aftermarket exhausts so a stocker should not be that hard to find.
Yup, when I bought the bike, that was the plan. No luck yet. Of course you have to have what, 20 posts to post in the for sale or want to buy section, so I am payin my dues so I can do that. This threads secondary function MIGHT be to sorta troll up an offer while I am working up to the 20 posts.....:angel_27:

Yes, chalk up each hole flat then JB weld over the chalk that should do the trick.
I had the JB Weld out, then I thought to myself....Brad LIKES to weld, I'll let him close up the holes, add a peashooter and tack a grid/mesh of some sort. He said to come on!

· Registered
858 Posts
i have a staintune on my wee currently, with the baffles. I don't know how the peeshooter mod sounds, but the staintune sounds great, and is quiet on top of that. if you end up looking for an aftermarket slip on, i would check that out. I could probably get some video with audio posted up so you can hear it.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have a staintune on my wee currently, with the baffles. I don't know how the peeshooter mod sounds, but the staintune sounds great, and is quiet on top of that. if you end up looking for an aftermarket slip on, i would check that out. I could probably get some video with audio posted up so you can hear it.
That would be awesome! Thanks!

Does yours have a "spark arrestor"?
I assume it will eventually have to be "repacked"?

I have always heard mostly good things about staintune. Even on KLR's.

· Registered
858 Posts
That would be awesome! Thanks!

Does yours have a "spark arrestor"?
I assume it will eventually have to be "repacked"?

I have always heard mostly good things about staintune. Even on KLR's.
i love the sound of mine, it gives the exhaust a little more grunt and growl, but it is still quite quiet. My wife followed me home when we got the bike and she didn't even hear it.

it does not have to be re-packed as it uses baffles rather than packing.

it does not have a spark arrestor, however, as i understand it there are aftermarket spark arrestors that can be added on:

USFS approved for KLR - Page 2 - ADVrider

see post #22.

· Registered
121 Posts
Staintunes sound sweet and great quality but in general they are very expensive. I'm guessing over $600?

Scorpion was $199 from jazzmotorsports.com if they still have it. Sounds awesome...not very loud and never needs repacking.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Staintune is closer to 1k i believe nowadays, at least directly from them
:jawdrop: Well, THAT wont be happening...

I still have an awful lot of KLR in me.....

Scorpion was $199 from jazzmotorsports.com if they still have it. Sounds awesome...not very loud and never needs repacking.
This is looking better and better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.