StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone tried to put the fork and wheel: Africa or Super Tenere on the DL1000?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would rec'm first trying a pair of Continental TKC80 knobbies on your stock 19" and 17" wheels. IMO if you need a more dirt worthy bike than with this set-up on the Vee then you probably have the wrong bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think oldturtle has the right idea, but if you still want to do it then I think you want the forks and wheel from the DR650. I've seen one in person and I think he also raised the rear to keep the geometry somewhat within reason.

There may be some threads on the subject on ADVrider.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Some folks buy a bike to ride. Others buy to tinker. Over on Advrider there is no shortage of guys building frankenbikes just for the fun of it. A few have done it here too, some with amazing results. I like the creative innovation even if I agree that the Strom is not a great offroad platform to start with.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
The hard core KLR people are going to the 18 inch front wheel with a 606 on the rim, Front and back
Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
need 21 "because in here we have many bad roads, also a slightly longer travel suspension would provide me more comfort and last but not least an easier travel in the sand and mud and ground clearance a little high. I thought the cheapest for doing these tests is a fork DR650/750/800.sorry for english !!!

Raul

R

·
0 Posts
Depends how much you want to spend. I contacted Woody's Wheels. He said that he could do a set of spokes for about $2k.

RR

·
Registered
961 Posts
Do you really think having a 21" wheel will make it a dirt bike? A 500 lb dirt bike. Just get some TKC's it will work great. I'll sell you another set of wheels, you can have one set of street tires and a set of TKC's already mounted ready to change over. It takes me about 45 min to change to my dirt tires.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The benefit of spokes over stock rims, IMHO, is primarily a more flexible rim. The difference between a 19 and a 21" rim with similar offroad tires is not really that great, honestly. If you're not hitting a lot of rocks and or are not worried about the supposed fragility of the cast wheels, I'd put TKC80's on and see how well you can fare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts