StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm on my search for a Vstrom. I just missed out on a great deal and I am browsing again.

Two of the best deals I see right now is a 2005 with about 3k in farkles (1k in suspension), preferred blue color, but no luggage, for $4600. And a 2009 (with ABS) with some Givi side and top cases, crash bar, center stand and a Sargent seat for $5400.

I know the ABS is highly desirable, and the only differences between the years is a pretty much a dual spark on the engine. Is the extra cost worth it?

On one hand the 2005 is cheaper, has everything I would want to upgrade, but I would have to buy luggage (necessity). On the other, the 2009 has ABS and luggage already, but I might end up spending a lot in upgrades (big item being the suspension)

Edit: both have same mileage, about 25k.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the 2009 sold, but the question still stands. How much more valuable is the updated engine (dual spark) and ABS versus a well modded older bike?

·
Administrator
17,403 Posts
Depends on what tickles your fancy, or just flip a coin.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
No question...... an 09 ABS ( I have one and love it ) definitely worth a bit extra.

If my 99 Goldwing had ABS I might not have crashed a few weeks ago. :fineprint:

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Patience is the key. And willingness to extend your search range. Took me nearly a year to find my 09 ABS in my price range and I had to go to San Diego to get it (fortunately I have family and friends in Cal so it made for a nice trip). Of course, I did have an 04 that I was riding while I was looking. Would have been hard to be patient otherwise.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If I could have one wish about my '07 it would be that I had bought it with ABS. I do regret that one thing. Great bike even without it. Having said that there are many that prefer non-ABS bikes. It depends on your preferences.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I respect the opinions of the many persons here who say ABS is the way to go - and I think I agree - but for me, with an '07 Wee w/o ABS, I put ABS in the same category as the about-to-be-released new Vee. When I read about it here I start thinking about how nice it would be. But when I'm riding my Wee, the thought never crosses my mind.

In nearly two years of every day, year-round riding, there has been only one instance (I nearly rear-ended a stopped, turning car - sliding the rear wheel of my bike) when I wish my bike had ABS.

Yeah, I know it takes only one save to make it worthwhile, but I don't miss it. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
OK, my opinion of the importance of ABS (on a bike, especially) changed a lot this morning.

On a mostly normal ride to work early (~5:30 AM) this morning I very nearly went to the ground. It was rather foggy / misty out, not too cool (about 50F), and the road surface seemed to have alternating dry / damp areas. A couple days earlier, during daylight, I'd noticed that it seemed some vehicle had leaked some fluid that appeared to be oil - intentionally or unintentionally - on the road nearly completely across the small mountain on which I ride to work daily. In the dark I couldn't see, and I didn't think about, this ~mile-long oil streak. I was nearly to the bottom (had nearly made it across the mountain) when I began to exit a mild turn and the front wheel just lost traction nearly completely. I was probably applying a modest amount of front brake, and was probably moving at about 35-40 MPH, when front wheel traction was lost.

It all happened so quickly that all I can say after that is that it's a good thing I had the mountain and road mostly to myself because I went into the opposing lane and just stayed upright based on instincts, I suppose. I was all over the road trying to stay upright, slow the bike, and stay out of the fast-approaching ditch beside the opposing lane. I didn't go down, but I truly don't know how I avoided it. After stopping and collecting my composure I rode back up the mountain a bit and examined the road surface. It was wet but I saw no leaves or anything else unusual.

This afternoon, on my way back home on the same road, while the road was very dry, I again examined this stretch of road. With a dry road I could see the (oil?) stain. I can only suppose that perhaps there was enough oil remaining on the road surface to be a problem when the road was wet.

Anyway, I'm thankful to not have a bigger problem this PM, and perhaps ABS would have made a big difference. I can tell you it was no fun being totally out of control for those couple seconds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts