StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thats great and all - but I wouldn't pay 15 bucks and 4 or 5 for shipping for something I could make with a drill in about 10 minutes =P

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I could make that with just a drill, I'd do it too. It looks to me like it's more sophisticated than to make with just a drill. That groove down the middle is probably for routing the wires. And that's high quality aluminum.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anybody else made a mod similar to that one, with just a drill???

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's just a plate with holes and a groove, and for this type of function any type of aluminum or other flat stock metal would be appropriate. Not like it is a mission critical piece to the safety or operation of the bike.

Aluminum is cheap, my local welding shop sells it in whatever variety you want from bar, flat, or L stock by weight at $0.80 per pound which includes the cut. The most expensive alloy I can get off the shelf is $2.40 a pound. A pound of aluminum is quite a bit of stock.

So with a piece of stock the right size one can layout the holes easy enough, the groove would involve more thought, if one only has a drill press one would need two or three pieces depending on width of stock and depth of the groove needed. But clamp pieces together, set on edge, block to the press table and drill down the clamped pieces. Results at least two grooved pieces. Easier method would be to use a router to cut the groove. Or even a table or hand saw could cut the groove. There are woods that are more difficult to cut than aluminum.

It ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I didn't see the guy's reserve price, but if it is around $25 or so, I would rather point an click for 30 seconds than sit in my garage for three hours trying to make my own. It cleans the back end up a bit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
hmm

why not just get rid of the goofy stock light for any of the more un obtrusive ones they sell in various catalogs such as Denis kirk or Chaparral

1 - 7 of 7 Posts