StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I are thinking of riding Moab the first or second week of April. Neither of us have riden the area, but are looking for a lot of off-road riding. I will be on my Strom and he will be riding a Scrambler.

Anyone have any advice on where we should ride?

I don't want to get into 250cc stuff on our heavy bikes, but we aren't afraid of challenging riding.

Thanks for the tips and ride suggestions.

·
Registered
450 Posts
John,

Are you going to trailer the bikes to Utah or ride from here?

If you're trailering, take the Hondas. A buddy of mine rode Moab on his KLR and said it limited what he could ride. I would expect that to be more so on a Strom.

That's not to say that there's some Strom-strasse's in Moab, but I'll defer to others for that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ride With GPS

Check out this new web gps site:

http://ridewithgps.com/

And search for Moab, Utah, etc.

There are already some nice routes/tracks shown for Utah, and elsewhere.

Mark

Edit: I did Moab/Utah on the DL650 May of 09, and had mucho fun, but as others said, the trails I was willing to attempt were limited.....

Link to one route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/27823/full.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
John, I have spent lots of time in the Moab area. Many years of Jeeping, and biking. Let me know what you want to see and do. I might even be persuaded to be a "sorta" guide. I have the kokopelli ride on my schedule at the moment. But............Cost you lunch,:bom_idea: but I would ride down there for a good pow wow on Moab.:fineprint:

·
Registered
435 Posts
+1 on the White Rim Bench. Could be wet in spots that early in the season.

I know the area pretty well, but I need an idea of what you are looking to see and do. If all you are looking for is roads to ride down, then I can point out a few I love. If you are looking for rock art, canyons, or whatever, I can help with that, too.

I'd be interested in tagging along.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the replies.

Terry rides a Scrambler and I am certain it is his only bike. (Although, I think he is seriously searching for a Bultaco. He use to race back in the day.) You would be friggin surprised where he can take that Scrambler, but certainly we won't be riding a couple of light weight enduro's that can go anywhere. So we

Also, not to offend anyone, but trailering a bike is 100%.....NOT ME. I just don't trailer bikes. If I can't ride there, then I don't go. Leaving the house on my bike is part of the adventure. We will be riding the bikes over to Moab.

I will look into your posts a little closer this next week and holler back if I have any questions.

Norm, you and I can get together in the next couple of months and we can chat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also if you find you're limited in what you can do in/around Moab (doubtful) and are willing to ride just a bit further, then the Burr Trail is another a scenic dirt road.

·
Registered
172 Posts
John, did you ever make it out to Moab? If so, what trails were you able to ride the Strom on? I'm heading there in a few weeks and thinking of taking my Strom, in addition to my Husaberg for the really tough stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Moab in Sept.

Doing my research on the Moab area. I plan to ride,camp and hike in the Moab area. What maps would you recommened. Plan to ride Burr, Chicken Corners, White Rim and others in the area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts