StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to Moab on a long Father's Day weekend, meeting up with a co-worker for 4 days of riding. I've done a lot of mountain biking there, and we are planning to do part of the White Rim trail. I'm looking for any other recommendations you might have. Phillip has a Tiger XCR and grew up riding motocross. Me? I have a Wee, rode mountain bikes since before it was cool, and have been riding motorcycles for all of two seasons. This is my first season with dual sport tires and I've had exactly an hour in the dirt so far. Call me inexperienced...

Any great recommendations? Other than Potash to Canyonlands to Gemini, I'm going to propose this ride: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1zzqfDp8KXOStWBIQtzf2FBO2I8E&ll=38.81396956427584,-109.48089507800296&z=13

I also think we can take a day or two to do some parks, but honestly I'd like red dust EVERYWHERE on my bike when I get home, so bring on the recommendations! Thanks, I sure appreciate the feedback I get here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Onion Creek, Chicken Corners, Long Canyon, Shafer Trail. All should be fine on the Strom with the exception of Long Canyon if it is recently torn up by jeeps.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Onion Creek, Chicken Corners, Long Canyon, Shafer Trail. All should be fine on the Strom with the exception of Long Canyon if it is recently torn up by jeeps.

Hey I just stumbled across Long Canyon. As of April 13, it was supposedly badly torn up from EJS. Bummer. We all have to share, but still a bummer... I will check out the others too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Man I am jealous...since I rode it last Sept I think about Moab all the time....and I won't make it back there until 2018.

When you do Onion creek(which is a blast) keep going on through Thompson Canyon then loop back to the highway on Castle Valley Road.

Here is my Moab trip report, maybe it will give you some ideas:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/343769-giant-ragweed-abatement-tour-2016-tennessee-utah-08-15-a.html

Oh, and tires.....you experience will be much better on 50/50 tires. Mitas E07 rear and a Mitas MC60 front did very well. The MC60 looks to be discontinued, my next choice would be the TKC 80 front.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of doing Moki, Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods, but that's a 400 mile round trip from Moab. Talk about iron butt!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't wanna go and venture out there alone, and my riding partner choked on me, he changed his bike to a naked sport one.... <insert sad face here>.

Go anyway, carry plenty of water, keep your eye on your fuel.
Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was thinking of doing Moki, Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods, but that's a 400 mile round trip from Moab. Talk about iron butt!
Not hard, brother!! 2-lane blacktop down, slow gravel thru Valley of the Gods, takes about 1/2 hr to get thru it. Dugway is wicked fun!! Then you head out to an overlook (road on the left) once you get to the top. Take a nice break there. Back down the Dugway to Monument Valley and another nice break. Then head back up the Moab via the 2-lane blacktop. Plenty of places to stop is you need to take a break.

BELIEVE ME, you will NOT regret it!! Pack plenty of water and be ready for the HEAT!! Cause it will be HOTTTTTTT!!!

If you have the time, and inclination, you could also swing by the Canyonlands "Needles District". Just keep an eye on your fuel level. Wife and I did it once. Wouldn't do it again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, and tires.....you experience will be much better on 50/50 tires. Mitas E07 rear and a Mitas MC60 front did very well. The MC60 looks to be discontinued, my next choice would be the TKC 80 front.
Yup - riding Mitas E07 Dakars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New here hey everyone,

I'll definitely have to take a look at these locations, I've only been riding for 3 years now and dang if I was going to try and take a sports bike to Moab. (I'm in Tooele, that's one heck of a drive.) Post pictures after the run so we can see!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New here hey everyone,

I'll definitely have to take a look at these locations, I've only been riding for 3 years now and dang if I was going to try and take a sports bike to Moab. (I'm in Tooele, that's one heck of a drive.) Post pictures after the run so we can see!

Yah the more research I do, the more I realized how much of Moab I missed when I went to mountain bike it. The epic stuff is just far out or too long to bike.

You can bet there will be a long trip report!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts