StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY DL650 is loaded up and ready to head west in the morning.
Meeting a buddy in Red Lodge, Montana to ride Beartooth pass & Yellowstone then thru Wyoming to Colorado.
Meeting my brother from Phoenix in Cortez, CO then riding the Million Dollar highway up to Aspen.
Then I'll hit Estes park on the way home.
2 weeks on the bike!
See Ya!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just did this exact same trip camping out of our car. The ONLY thing that would have made it better is if we were on the bikes. Although I do no envy the 8+ hour days droning across the Dakotas/Nebraska...
I suggest you go all the way through Rocky Mountain NP if you are entering on the Estes Park side, the west side has some twisties and tons of NF roads just outside of the NP boundaries.
Also, might be bad timing to ride through the Black Hills NF, Custer SP, and Badlands NP but would definitely be worth checking out if you can stand the pirate rally types out there this time of year!!

HAVE FUN. STAY SAFE!!

Are you camping in Grizzly Bear Country?! The mandatory Bear Boxes really really help but I would still be pretty nervous at some of the campsites we visited this last trip if I did not have a hard sided vehicle. If you are camping I would love to hear your set up for Grizzly Bears...

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Nice roads, all of em. If you're near Beartooth, check out Chief Joseph Scenic Byway in Wyoming, out of Cody. Thermopolis Wy has a state park with hot springs soaking pool, a nice 30 minute stop, and of course, the Million Dollar Highway is hard to beat. Enjoy !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just did this exact same trip camping out of our car. The ONLY thing that would have made it better is if we were on the bikes. Although I do no envy the 8+ hour days droning across the Dakotas/Nebraska...
I suggest you go all the way through Rocky Mountain NP if you are entering on the Estes Park side, the west side has some twisties and tons of NF roads just outside of the NP boundaries.
Also, might be bad timing to ride through the Black Hills NF, Custer SP, and Badlands NP but would definitely be worth checking out if you can stand the pirate rally types out there this time of year!!

HAVE FUN. STAY SAFE!!

Are you camping in Grizzly Bear Country?! The mandatory Bear Boxes really really help but I would still be pretty nervous at some of the campsites we visited this last trip if I did not have a hard sided vehicle. If you are camping I would love to hear your set up for Grizzly Bears...
I will only be camping in Colorado. But I will be careful with food.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice roads, all of em. If you're near Beartooth, check out Chief Joseph Scenic Byway in Wyoming, out of Cody. Thermopolis Wy has a state park with hot springs soaking pool, a nice 30 minute stop, and of course, the Million Dollar Highway is hard to beat. Enjoy !
Chief Joseph is on the itinerary also and Million Dollar and Independence pass.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
"Although I do no envy the 8+ hour days droning across the Dakotas/Nebraska"
What you don't like the big open and corn fields?
I thought Nebraska and Iowa were a hoot. It wasn't home fo' sure!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Although I do no envy the 8+ hour days droning across the Dakotas/Nebraska"
What you don't like the big open and corn fields?
I thought Nebraska and Iowa were a hoot. It wasn't home fo' sure!
2800 miles so far. Riding Independence Pass tomorrow then camping in Colorado National Park. Monday I start the 1000 mile trip home across the plains. So far It's been a awesome trip!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts