StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13c, nice day to install upgrades that I've been waiting for.

I'm loving the heed top crash bars. Installed adventure tech peg extenders, the front fender Lift kit(already installed, half inch), which was dumb for me. Now it's the 1.5"' looks proper now. Unsure if it will cope with Saskatchewan mud. Thinking 2" is minimum. Half inch didn't make it.

If you're looking for half inch kit, ask. Got fresh bolts and aluminum spacers. :)

Installed sw motech 8l bags. I really like them. I do not like installing. Anyone wants these in a hurry, cutting is onLy way. Hell, I have to cut burn and get sew to make them
work properlly.

AS

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
The Heed upper crash bars are great. I installed them last year and have been very impressed with them.

I was just looking at the fender riser the other day and thinking I should order it. I am interested in buying the 1/2” ones you have off you. I will send you a message

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The high front should work to clear "Saskatchewan mud" from front tire.

Otherwise the front jams and you loose steering. You can find "Saskatchewan mud" in alberta too... Pretty sure it's imported.

Here's a pic of side front bags, really digging the look, helps block knees from wind.

There's one downside so far, the top clips, that truly position the bag, keep sliding with wind down heed bars.

Kinda thinking a stationary locking clip, but, can't say I've seen something like what I'm thinking about.

Anyone else see like a clamp-able clip system?

That or try some form of zip ties?

Hmmm...

Btw, the heed top crash bars, make it feel like the strom is a big ole cobra from driver's seat. Feels cool, def notice the weight though.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If anyone decides to get these bags... Been trying to figure a nice easy way to hook them to bars, because the fabric around bars are def noticeable, making it's way, grinding paint off.

I ordered three different options, this is what seems to work the best. 15 bucks for two on eBay, I'm sure they're cheaper on aliexpress, but they all seem to be branded.

I used the fabric side clips, only had the two. So, two connectors to a side.

Downside is, each clip needs one, bag flaps at bottom.

So I ordered 6 more.

Will have to cut and get tailored.

Plus find a separate set of the females, in case I want to get rid of bag for a bit. Will be secure at end of day.👍

Edit: All done. Really like these, tools and air pump on one side, sprays and first aid in other.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More for list...

Installed wired tire monitor. Spliced this into the 12v part of the front usb. The fuse is set to 3 amps. My bet, is it's a 5v 2 amp usb charger, should be enough to skim some energy for tire monitor. Weirdly couldn't find amp draw for unit. On plus side, it has it's own usb source too. I don't really use the front usb so much anymore, any cable blowing in the wind just starts rubbing somewhere. :-/ But key on works like a charm. 👍

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also changed out part of the exhaust with one from polands dominator. Wow, is this thing lite and very open compared to the old.

You have to drop the centre stand, which is really not that bad, the worst part for the whole thing was centre stand springs. 😂

The pipe sections connected to cylinders stay on, just need to slide everything else off. Need the exhaust sleeve from old to join exhaust. I had to bend tab a little to get on.

But looks good, ever so slight, deeper tone. Would be cool if it saves a little fuel. I'll take a photo of installed exhaust in day light.

New exhaust 1.871kg.

Old 5.012

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also added some new lights. Tomorrow I'll finish wiring in. Will just tie them to high beams. Took a while figuring out the best way to mount them. Needed overhead mount, that doesn't come with the lights.

Think it's 60watts to run both. Probably a little over kill. But if it spots that critter on side of road at speed, will be worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I pretty much never use my 12v cig, since I'm changing out my one in top box, it's going to be my new aux. Wasn't that bad of a job, chopped connector, spliced, looks stockish.

This is like a back up, if my one in top box, ever craps the bed. 👍

Edit: New usb hub in top box

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While everything is apart, I've decided to move my spot gps around.

The cubby under the beak is quite perfect! Lot of room, view of sky, shooting through plastic. Doubtful a thief will find right away. It's wired, but has batteries, which is 4 push clips away from getting replaced. Nice access.

I used my shoe glue to mount. It's great on plastic, never had an issue adhering. On the plus side, some good pressure and needle nose pliers while rolling with pinched tip, can remove cleanly, if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty much the final upgrade. Installed innov 5k dash cam. It's like an octopus of wires to devices, did as one of the other guys suggested, tied to front. Seems to work, can't see beak, need a memory card though. 😒

Pretty much ready for good trip.👍

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K, I lied. I fake put these on yesterday, didn't like the width. But 3l is really what I wanted. Looked at the 2l one that sw motech sells, fit better, but everything seems to be sold out.

So pulled trigger this morn and installed.

Doesn't press against leg, like I thought it would. For 10 min I couldn't lock the mount in, apparently there is water proof rubber for the rivets that hinder the locking. So had to cut that off.

Did second, looks good, except for one problem, they sent two rights... At least that's my hope. I'll be real choked if they only made the one direction, when all they had to do was flip the metal and press the other way.

Will be good for these road trips where gas is 4 plus hours apart, like Dempster highway. Or just living on prairies where it can be random if open after 6pm.👍

What I don't like, is the straps, they could have made them straight Velcro and the other thing I would change, a clip or pressure to keep them on when you pull can, both fall right off as soon as you pop. Have to balance just right to mount tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
K, I lied. I fake put these on yesterday, didn't like the width. But 3l is really what I wanted. Looked at the 2l one that sw motech sells, fit better, but everything seems to be sold out.

So pulled trigger this morn and installed.

Doesn't press against leg, like I thought it would. For 10 min I couldn't lock the mount in, apparently there is water proof rubber for the rivets that hinder the locking. So had to cut that off.

Did second, looks good, except for one problem, they sent two rights... At least that's my hope. I'll be real choked if they only made the one direction, when all they had to do was flip the metal and press the other way.

Will be good for these road trips where gas is 4 plus hours apart, like Dempster highway. Or just living on prairies where it can be random if open after 6pm.👍

What I don't like, is the straps, they could have made them straight Velcro and the other thing I would change, a clip or pressure to keep them on when you pull can, both fall right off as soon as you pop. Have to balance just right to mount tank.
😂

There's no left and right...

So, sometime in future, get to pound flat and press the bends opposite direction. Lol! And this stuff is German.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also changed out part of the exhaust with one from polands dominator. Wow, is this thing lite and very open compared to the old.

You have to drop the centre stand, which is really not that bad, the worst part for the whole thing was centre stand springs. 😂

The pipe sections connected to cylinders stay on, just need to slide everything else off. Need the exhaust sleeve from old to join exhaust. I had to bend tab a little to get on.

But looks good, ever so slight, deeper tone. Would be cool if it saves a little fuel. I'll take a photo of installed exhaust in day light.

New exhaust 1.871kg.

Old 5.012
I would not recommend this mod without afr correction. As I wrote earlier, this bike already has problems with lean mixture at low and medium rpms. I'm waiting for Woolich to add this model to the program so that I can correct the afr.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also added some new lights. Tomorrow I'll finish wiring in. Will just tie them to high beams. Took a while figuring out the best way to mount them. Needed overhead mount, that doesn't come with the lights.

Think it's 60watts to run both. Probably a little over kill. But if it spots that critter on side of road at speed, will be worth it.
What can you say about using these tires on V-strom? How do they behave in different conditions?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, ya, they're ok. If you drive somewhere hot, the tires seem to vanish fast. If it's cooler out, the melting slows down to normal speed. I didn't like that, drove 8 hours to Calgary on hot day, you could literally see them disappearing.

But, got into the mountains, slowed right down. So weird. I was freaking out when I got to Calgary, because there's only one or two guys in Yukon that do tires and you needed to have tires ordered months in advance and a slot of mechanic time, already planned. Rest of trip was cool, so tires lasted whole trip. Nothing left when back though. Maybe 200km.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts