StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put TKC 70's on my back tire (2013 650) but the front one's are bad (weird cupping after 3000 miles on my 2011 650). Anyone ever mix tire brands/styles with success? Recommendations to go on the front with a TKC 70 rear?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have TKC 70 on rear, and Shinko 804 front, which replaced a TKC80, and I'm glad i swapped the Shinko is as good as the TKC on gravel and feels better on seal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've got over 70,000 miles on my 2012 DL650. I've only had a front tire the same as the back twice - and that was a different points of tread life front to back, thus never a set starting together. I replace them as needed - unlike some devotees who replace front and rear as a set each time. I find a tire I like, then usually by the time to replace the other, I've gotten interested in trying a different tire, or didn't quite like one thing or another about the last choice. So, mix as you will. Even "matching" tires in a set are different sizes, inflation, and have different jobs on the bike, so the idea of having to match them is not justified in my opinion.
I would suggest you keep it generally the same style of tire to get predictable handling. For example, if you run a popular 80/20 dual sport tire on front, pick a dual sport tire for the rear. A dirt tire rear and sport-street tire front would limit you on both dirt and street.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I run car tires on the back mostly, so it appears to me mixing is of no issue

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I've got over 70,000 miles on my 2012 DL650. I've only had a front tire the same as the back twice - and that was a different points of tread life front to back, thus never a set starting together. I replace them as needed - unlike some devotees who replace front and rear as a set each time.
you should join us on the darkside, start getting 25,000 miles to a rear tire

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
you should join us on the darkside, start getting 25,000 miles to a rear tire
Get thee behind me, Satan!
;)

There is some cool-factor appeal to it, and the picture you post looks downright grungy. :smile2: I think I'll stick with purpose-built tires for now though.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Mix away. I ran a Shinko 705 rear with a TKC80 front before for the tread life and still be decent on dirt. Or a Tourance front that wears good and a 705 rear which is cheap and wears good enough for general purpose touring.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone ever ran a Shinko 805 rear and a Shinko 704 front?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Similar rubber grip and flexibility helps, but not absolutely required. Key I think is adjusting the pressures to get appropriate handling, and understanding what's going to happen under different conditions. I suspect we all just adapt pretty quickly and unconsciously. I am certainly not going to get rid of an expensive front just because all I can afford is a cheap rear!!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
An 805 rear will be very short lived, I only get about 3500 out of one and 6,000 out of a rear 705.

If your looking for longevity with better dirt road ability, you put the mild tread tire on the rear for the tread wear. So a 705 or something mild would go in back and then put a more aggressive tire on the front for better control in gravel and on loose dirt. You can run a mild touring knobby like a TKC-80 on the front for more miles than a mild rear will last.

Front tires are my problem to decide on, TKC-70 is not that great, 705's are not great either but are decent. TKC-80's don't grip well once they hit 6,000 or so and feel like a 705 off road to me once broken in. For a cheaper aggressive front there is the 804, works like a mild knobby aka TKC-80 for less money.

Here is the 804: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/742/51972/Shinko-E-804-Front-Dual-Sport-Motorcycle-Tire

For me, I've been running Tourance fronts with good results but the cost and shallow tread has me going back to a 705. But my current 705 is not wearing good at all, I forget how rough they are on the Vee. I'm thinking of trying a new tire for the front and a 705 on the back. I'm leaning towards the new Avon Trail Rider for a mild front and keep my lower cost 705's on the rear that I'm happy with. Here is the front tire I'll probably get when my cupping 705 is dead: Avon TrailRider AV53 Front Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm thinking of eventually replacing the stock rear with a 705 and keeping the TW front til it's gone.
Are the 705's ok for loaded touring? No 2-up but still much heavier than the naked Glee.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I run the 705's most of the time, I haven't had any issues with them running heavy. They are fairly aggressive for a "mild" tire, much deeper tread and larger spacing than a TW. They do roar fairly loud, but have decent traction on dirt roads. Very hard to beat as an all around tire at a great price. They are a more all terrain type tread, the sides have more bite. Leaned over hard I can feel the tread blocks. They are very rounded on top, the 705 falls into turns easily when new. Very flickable, fun on tight twisty roads. I try other tires and keep going back to them, I've used them since 2005 I guess on two bikes. I've gone through many of them on my old DR650 and they are on my 06 DL1000 right now.

This one has over 4,000 miles on it, its wearing okay for me as usual:

New Front:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If in doubt, make the front the one that's best suited to where you ride. The rear isn't nearly as catastrophic if it squirms around a bit. Yeah, I mix. No dramas.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I run the 705's most of the time, I haven't had any issues with them running heavy. They are fairly aggressive for a "mild" tire, much deeper tread and larger spacing than a TW. They do roar fairly loud, but have decent traction on dirt roads. Very hard to beat as an all around tire at a great price. They are a more all terrain type tread, the sides have more bite. Leaned over hard I can feel the tread blocks. They are very rounded on top, the 705 falls into turns easily when new. Very flickable, fun on tight twisty roads. I try other tires and keep going back to them, I've used them since 2005 I guess on two bikes. I've gone through many of them on my old DR650 and they are on my 06 DL1000 right now
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try the 705 rear after my trip later this month. By that time, the original TW rear will be done.
Certainly is a great price for the 705's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts