StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, looking forward to my first tire change on this bike when I wear out the stock TW's. I am looking for more road grip as I ride with a sportbike group here and there and usually run the fast paced group. However, I don't want to completely lose the dirt road capability. So I was thinking this:

What if I run a Tourance EXP for the front tire, and a standard Tourance for the rear? That way they will wear close to evenly, ill have the front grip to prevent washing out (my biggest fear) and the rear will gain some grip on the road over the stockers and retain some decent mileage as well.

So, good or bad idea?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
My '04 came to me with new EXP on the front and new ordinary Tourance on the rear. Good combination, wore out at about the same time. Keep in mind that the pavement traction you gain with the EXP will likely be lost off pavement. I did ride it on some gravel roads, and it was OK.

Would the Tourance NEXT pair give better total performance (yes, I know there was a recent very negative thread) or the Michelin Anakee 3 set?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My '04 came to me with new EXP on the front and new ordinary Tourance on the rear. Good combination, wore out at about the same time. Keep in mind that the pavement traction you gain with the EXP will likely be lost off pavement. I did ride it on some gravel roads, and it was OK.

Would the Tourance NEXT pair give better total performance (yes, I know there was a recent very negative thread) or the Michelin Anakee 3 set?
The NEXT is supposed to be a longer mileage tire, and I'm not necessarily interested in that. I'm looking for a good grip before mileage, it just so happens the regular Tourance is usually fine, and getting the EXP would be insurance against washing out during hard riding.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
ill have the front grip to prevent washing out (my biggest fear)
XT I'm interested in your comment about front end grip.

From the first ride on my Wee I never had any confidence in the front end, always felt like it would wash out ,

I decided I needed to fix the feeling in the front end before I covered up the problem with better tyres.

I started with a fork oil change, this helped but it did not fix it.

Next was a fork brace, this helped but it did not fix it.

Then I dropped the front end 10mm, I liked it but it did not fix it.

I added some pre-load to the rear shock, by this stage I was getting very close.

I then went with 39psi in the front tyre, this was the last piece of the puzzle, the bike now for me feels great in all conditions.

So what I'm saying maybe you should try to build some feeling into your front end and getting it working the best it can before you put your future in the hands of a tyre change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts