StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I'd mix whatever I needed to. It isn't going to make the bike explode. I typically use whatever I have left over for the last .25 quarts that my 4.25 quart bike needs.

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you get it towed? What sort of jam are you in?

Be sure to avoid any oil that says 'energy conserving' in that little ring.
On my way out of tow and forgot to check engine oil (me fool). Filled up at gas station, and now oil can light is on and won’t start.

sounds like 10-30 synthetic is my best bet. If that doesn’t trip the sensor back, then it’s tow truck.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
What do you mean by won't start? Won't crank? Cranks, but won't fire? Oil at the low mark won't keep the engine from starting or running.

Reactions: Brockie

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you mean by won't start? Won't crank?
Yes. You’re right. My description sucks.
Instruments light up. But won’t crank.
What do you mean by won't start? Won't crank?
You’re right. My bad.
Won’t crank. Switch in run. Neutral. Clutch in. 11.9v. Hmmm trickle charged full last night and now I’m running with power adapter. Maybe my phone ran down the battery? But why engin oil light?
Automotive tire White Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Light

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Yes. You’re right. My description sucks.
Instruments light up. But won’t crank.

You’re right. My bad.
Won’t crank. Switch in run. Neutral. Clutch in. 11.9v. Hmmm trickle charged full last night and now I’m running with power adapter. Maybe my phone ran down the battery? But why engin oil light?
Isn't the oil light - and ABS light typically on until the motor is started? Can't say that I pay any attention to warning lights until the bike starts.

Kickstand up?

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Those 3 lights won't go off untill the bike is running. ABS, TC and red oil(Multi-use I think). At 11.8 it can't crank , but can be push started. I once gassed up and no crank but enough juice to run the fuel pump. Kindly fellow there helped push (2nd or 3rd gear). Got me home.

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL1000A
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trying AAA for jump start, or tow.
Thanks everyone for your help. I’m frazzled and thought it was the oil. New battery last fall, and I tricke charged it yesterday. Didn’t think the phone would kill it, so never occurred to me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Due to safety switches...I would also try a few clutch pulls and let go's along with the few good up/down side stand motions. But low batt looks like a cause.
I'd get a friend, gas station guy, to help push start, in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
You can start your bike without the headlight coming on and the will help heaps.

Press the start button with your right hand.

Turn the ignition on with your left hand.

Pull the clutch lever in with your left hand.

This will give you a little extra power that could be enough to get you going when things are low.

Reactions: STCorndog and gdrew

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Assuming a low battery, I had a similar situation over the winter.

I keep the bike on a maintainer over winter and start it up about once a month. On one of those start ups, the bike wouldn't fire. I was a bit miffed, since I just bought a Yuasa battery last spring. The next night I went out to do some diagnosis and the bike started right up. Since then, I've had no problems.

Weird electrical gremlins, they comes and they goes.

·
Administrator
14,821 Posts
Assuming a low battery, I had a similar situation over the winter.

I keep the bike on a maintainer over winter and start it up about once a month.
In your situation above do not start the engine unless you are going to take it for a decent ride. Starting an engine and having it sit there idling can cause moisture issues in the oil which can cause acids and these can also cause harm to the exhaust system.

..Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts