StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Anakee Wild rear tire lasted about 7000km's, very poor longevity, but it was used on a fair number of dirt/rock roads up the Dempster and then a lot of pavement on the way home. Still I would hope a tire to last closer to 12k.

The front Wild is fine, so I am keeping that. I was considering adding another Wild Rear just to see if it might last longer locally, but that seemed silly too, so I opted to try a Mitas E07 rear.

There are two models of this, the regular and the Dakar. The Dakar is listed as having a stiffer sidewall to make offroad riding better. I do like to ride offroad sometimes, and the difference in cost was only $10 so that is what I ordered.

I have it sitting here now and am surprised how stiff the sidewall actually is. On most tires I can compress the sidewall by hand, and that flexibility makes installing a tire easier by hand. This Dakar version is rock solid, it does not move at all by hand. I would never consider trying to install this with spoons.

I am wondering if this stiffness will transmit into a rougher ride? Has anyone tried both of these tires to compare?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I haven't tried the Anakee but I do run the Dakars. I am happy with the ride quality both on and off road. My rear is ready for replacement after just over 7000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried the Anakee but I do run the Dakars. I am happy with the ride quality both on and off road. My rear is ready for replacement after just over 7000 miles.
I was actually curious about the two versions of the Mitas tire, the regular and the Dakar and how those compare.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My Anakee Wild rear tire lasted about 7000km's, very poor longevity, but it was used on a fair number of dirt/rock roads up the Dempster and then a lot of pavement on the way home. Still I would hope a tire to last closer to 12k.

The front Wild is fine, so I am keeping that. I was considering adding another Wild Rear just to see if it might last longer locally, but that seemed silly too, so I opted to try a Mitas E07 rear.

There are two models of this, the regular and the Dakar. The Dakar is listed as having a stiffer sidewall to make offroad riding better. I do like to ride offroad sometimes, and the difference in cost was only $10 so that is what I ordered.

I have it sitting here now and am surprised how stiff the sidewall actually is. On most tires I can compress the sidewall by hand, and that flexibility makes installing a tire easier by hand. This Dakar version is rock solid, it does not move at all by hand. I would never consider trying to install this with spoons.

I am wondering if this stiffness will transmit into a rougher ride? Has anyone tried both of these tires to compare?
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1237542/
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1229621/

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
Administrator
5,767 Posts
I have used 2 sets of the standard Mitas E-07 but not the Dakar. The difference between them is that the Dakar has one more belt, four versus three if I remember correctly.

Acceptable but not outstanding on seal, good in the wet and fantastic on gravel etc. So much more stable and predictable on loose surfaces that a 90/10 tyre but like any tyre you wish to name a V-strom is never comfortable in deep sand or mud. I got 14,000 km from my first set and surprisingly the front was worn the worst. I ride seal to get to dirt roads.

How you ride affects tyre life so lots of hard throttle and hard braking will make a difference. Keep the pressures up as heat makes a tyre both more grippy and wear faster. Higher pressures will reduce the heat build up.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I just got an email that they are currently running a sale. The Mitas will definitely be my next tires.

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say t again in this thread

I won't be buying another set

·
Administrator
5,767 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say t again in this thread

I won't be buying another set
Sorry buddy but you are well outnumbered on this one - in fact one of the very few not to like the E-07.

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
I don't find the any better on pavement tan a big block knobby, and not as good on gravel, I have no use for a chevron pattern tire, I do admit to their longevity though

IHMO, most of the raving is not admitting they bought a tire that is not so great, and going along with the crowd, comparing them to a sport touring tire for gravel road riding

oh, and they suck on wet

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got this tire installed today, the shop commented on how difficult it was to get on there, even with their machine. I thought that was kind of funny. Looking forward to testing it out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got this tire installed today, the shop commented on how difficult it was to get on there, even with their machine. I thought that was kind of funny. Looking forward to testing it out.
I have mounted the non-Dakar version myself front and rear and had no issue with doing it with simple irons, so that seems strange. Echoing most of the sentiments, I find them incredibly competence-inspiring on gravel and I have had no issues with them in the wet (but I do not ride in the same conditions RandyO does) and I have run D606's and TKC80's on a KLR so have some experience with other more dirt-skewed rubber.

In 28,000km of riding I have gone through the OEM Trail Wings, then a original version Tourance on the rear and a E07 on the front and then, finally, changed out to the matched set with a E07 on the rear. Definitely a huge upgrade on the Tourance rear (which you would expect) on gravel roads (which is what I primarily ride on). Nice for us in Canada as one of the big importers (MX1Canada) is in the lower mainland of BC.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I just got an email that they are currently running a sale. The Mitas will definitely be my next tires.

Where's the sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
I don't find the any better on pavement tan a big block knobby, and not as good on gravel, I have no use for a chevron pattern tire, I do admit to their longevity though

IHMO, most of the raving is not admitting they bought a tire that is not so great, and going along with the crowd, comparing them to a sport touring tire for gravel road riding

oh, and they suck on wet

I've been reading your posts about the x300 on advrider and appreciate your perspective on most stuff. I have no doubt that a big block outperforms the E-07 off road, and that it may do as well on as the E-07 on road, leaving wear as the only advantage to the E-07.

I rode mine (E-07 Dakars) through a full day of rain in the Ozarks and didn't have any wet traction issues. I was particularly sensitive to that since the Heidenau K60's have a "slippery when wet" reputation.

I'm satisfied with the tire enough to buy another set.

Dislikes - passing out west at ~95mph I started to get bar wobbles. No bueno.

Grip in cornering is fine, but there is a distinct transition during corner lean that isn't there on a radial. That is, the radial is completely settled, but the E-07 feels like you had a passenger shift their weight slightly as you transition from upright to full lean. It is very consistent though. Other than that I can drag pegs in tight turns from 25-45 mph. Don't know upper limits.

Also, as another poster has already stated, the closest I've ever come to natural child birth was installing a set of Dakars by hand with tire spoons in my garage. Other than that, on/off road characteristics of the E-07 closely matches my performance expectations for the Strom as an "SUV" of motorcycles.

Keep posting about your x300, I'm thinking about one of those as a second bike.

Reactions: Motor7 and Brockie

·
Registered
173 Posts
...Also, as another poster has already stated, the closest I've ever come to natural child birth was installing a set of Dakars by hand with tire spoons in my garage. Other than that, on/off road characteristics of the E-07 closely matches my performance expectations for the Strom as an "SUV" of motorcycles....
Reading fail on my part as I failed to see that we were talking about mounting of the Dakar versions when I commented how comparatively easy I found hand mounting the regular version. The stiffer sidewall (obviously) would make a huge difference....

·
Registered
833 Posts
Reading fail on my part as I failed to see that we were talking about mounting of the Dakar versions when I commented how comparatively easy I found hand mounting the regular version. The stiffer sidewall (obviously) would make a huge difference....

No not at all. I was referring to Bugzy's post right above yours where the tire shop had a hard time mounting his even with their machine. Didn't mean to disagree with you. I simply meant my experience was ... memorable.

I mounted mine in my garage with tools I carry on the bike to see if I could do it one handed in wilderness Alaska while fending off mosquitoes and wolves with the other hand.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Where's the sale?

I got an email from Mitas, not a dealer. Deleted it since I'm not in the market now. Running TKC 70 F&R on 1 and TKC70 F and Shinko 805 R on the other. Both configurations have been excellent. Sorry. Try Google?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Will do. Thanks for the response.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts