StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably should have asked before I bought. The only thing better than the smell of new tires here in the home office is the hum of new tires on the '08 Wee. My Mitas E07 Dakar's were delivered last night. I have two questions about them:

First, they'll fit under the factory fender, right? I haven't heard any complaints about it so far, but assuming just has disastrous results. I assumed, and ordered... Hoping it work out OK.

Second, most tires have a small dot indicating the lightest point on the tire. I can't find it on the Mitas - is it not there, or is it indicated some other way?

Gracias! Install happens as soon as work ends today. My first real 50/50 tire, with a long season of dirt rides planned. It'll be in the 60's tomorrow so I'm just gonna have to break these guys in ;)

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
No idea what bike you have, but yes they will clear front fender fine.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
They don't have a dot so you would have to spin it to get better balance.

They fit under stock fender alright but can still clog in thick mud, ymmv

Sent from my K01A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big B - '08 Wee
Cyclopathic - thanks for the warning. In Utah, we basically can't ride when it's muddy anyhow (mud here is like the devil - it's impossible to drive anything in it).

K I'm a little more confident about the install this afternoon. Can't wait till 3 PM...

·
Administrator
5,740 Posts
Great choice. Not as grippy as some for those knee dragger's on seal but effective nonetheless and neutral handling on all surfaces and last and last. Simply superior to the OEM Bridgestones.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I believe they will fit but you should look in to raising the fender.

I plan to get E07s too and read somewhere even the non-dakars are very stiff and apparently you can ride pretty far with them flat...anybody heard this too?

Anyone used Tire Sealant | Tire Protection System - Ride-On to balance instead of weights? It definitely worked for me balancing klr wheels and might work at sealing smaller leaks.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts

I plan to get E07s too and read somewhere even the non-dakars are very stiff and apparently you can ride pretty far with them flat...anybody heard this too?

Anyone used Tire Sealant | Tire Protection System - Ride-On to balance instead of weights? It definitely worked for me balancing klr wheels and might work at sealing smaller leaks.
Not necessary, only the 2nd gen 650 has a potential issue with big block tires like TKC 80 and Shinko 804.

Reactions: cyclopathic

·
Registered
725 Posts

I'm interested in the 'stiffness' factor as well. I'm planning on using Mitas E-07's on a trip north this May into June and I want to be able to air down on the gravel parts on the Trans Lab highway. If the plain E-07's will work for that, I'll go with them. They're cheaper and supposedly easier to mount than the Dakar version.
Fwiw, I use these tire balancing beads and they seem to work well.

·
Registered
317 Posts

I've been using Ride On for that last few years in Shinko 705s and 805s. Balances well. I've never pulled anything like a nail out of a tire, so I can't give you proof that they seal, but I've also never had a flat tire.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Reactions: slipstream

·
Administrator
5,740 Posts
I'm interested in the 'stiffness' factor as well. I'm planning on using Mitas E-07's on a trip north this May into June and I want to be able to air down on the gravel parts on the Trans Lab highway. If the plain E-07's will work for that, I'll go with them. They're cheaper and supposedly easier to mount than the Dakar version.
Fwiw, I use these tire balancing beads and they seem to work well.
The major difference is that the Dakar version has a 4-ply carcass where the normal Mitas E-07 just 3-plies. That makes them stiffer and less susceptible to punctures..

On that basis I would recommend that you use the Dakar if you intend to air down. I find the 3-ply version great on all types of roads (except of course mud or deep sand as they are heavy bikes) but I never air down as I know that when the dirt road ends I will be back on seal.

I give that as the main reason why I have never had a puncture on my V-Strom. I just ride to the conditions and would rather ride a more nervous bike that I know can take hitting a sharp rock without spoiling my day.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The major difference is that the Dakar version has a 4-ply carcass where the normal Mitas E-07 just 3-plies. That makes them stiffer and less susceptible to punctures..

On that basis I would recommend that you use the Dakar if you intend to air down. I find the 3-ply version great on all types of roads (except of course mud or deep sand as they are heavy bikes) but I never air down as I know that when the dirt road ends I will be back on seal.

I give that as the main reason why I have never had a puncture on my V-Strom. I just ride to the conditions and would rather ride a more nervous bike that I know can take hitting a sharp rock without spoiling my day.
From what I understand the 4-ply also runs cooler at highway speeds and lasts marginally more, according to hearsay..

·
Administrator
5,740 Posts
No offence to hearsay but increased air pressure will keep a tyre running cooler and therefore last longer.

In road racing if the tyre does not grip you reduce the air pressure to make it run warmer and grip better. If it is pilling and throwing too much rubber you increase the air pressure to make it run cooler and therefore last longer. A heavier tyre of thicker construction will also have more difficulty shedding its heat and should therefore run warmer.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Well E-07 is a hybrid bias/radial, and like most bias tires likes lower pressures. They actually will wear faster at 40psi.

Older ones had 33 psi limit and people were getting 10-12k out of them.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Yup it is for sure a tire you run lower pressures on.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've been using Ride On for that last few years in Shinko 705s and 805s. Balances well. I've never pulled anything like a nail out of a tire, so I can't give you proof that they seal, but I've also never had a flat tire.
Do I have to get the motorcycle formula or is the ATV formula really the same stuff? I ask because I can get a 32oz bottle of ATV Ride-on for $3 more than an 8oz bottle of MC Ride-on. I need 16oz according to the chart.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Do I have to get the motorcycle formula or is the ATV formula really the same stuff? I ask because I can get a 32oz bottle of ATV Ride-on for $3 more than an 8oz bottle of MC Ride-on. I need 16oz according to the chart.
I don't know, I've always used the motorcycle version. You should buy the 55 gallon drum :grin2:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well E-07 is a hybrid bias/radial, and like most bias tires likes lower pressures. They actually will wear faster at 40psi.

Older ones had 33 psi limit and people were getting 10-12k out of them.
Well that's good to know, thx. I've been running 40psi on my current rear Bridgestone Battlewing for loaded touring. Guess I'll be using less on the E-07.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Well that's good to know, thx. I've been running 40psi on my current rear Bridgestone Battlewing for loaded touring. Guess I'll be using less on the E-07.
From what I was told bias tires need 4-6 psi less than radials... I've been running 32/35 F/R but it is too early to say how long they will last. Nothing abnormal at this point.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts