Strom Trooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have the infamous vibrating Givi Crash bars off of my '11 and now that I think I have read enough about possible vibration mitigation ideas I have decided to reinstall them.

Problem is I cannot find the "nipple" part that goes between the two bars.
I emailed Givi to find out if I can purchase that part but I wonder if I actually NEED that part?

Anyone that's dropped their bike and has those crash bars could probably answer. And anyone else that has an opinion for that matter.

I read in one thread where someone used a piece of Schedule 40 hose barb pipe and filled the slight gap with some type of adhesive (they didn't say what type) but they said to "strengthen it"

So my question is - would this be advisable - does that connection add much in the way of strength to the crash bars? I appears to me that they would get most of their strength from their frame connections.

However, my bars will eventually be connected to the front of a bash plate as well. Or perhaps I should say - the front of my bash plate will be connected to these bars.

If this is a bad idea please let me know. If it's not a bad idea - (It appears it does totally kill the vibration issue) then what kind of adhesive would you recommend to fill the gap between the Schedule 40 hose barb and the inside of the crash bar tube? I was thinking of wrapping it with black electrical tape bit by bit until I got the right fit.

Thanks !
JD

·
Registered
348 Posts
The tape idea sounds good. I think I used black RTV silicone on mine. I also filled the bars with bb or air soft pellets(can’t remember which and sprayed some foam insulation to keep the beads from rattling... adds weight but changes the vibration frequency. Buffering that center connection may be all you need to quiet yours. The connector in the middle allows bars on one side to spread the load to the bars on the other, that reduces the chance of breaking a mounting point by sharing the stress across all mounting points. That connector or a substitute of comparable function is important in my opinion. You art talking about the spacer that inserts into the bars at front center right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you use something other than the steel "nipple" there? Not sure why its labeled as a nipple on the instructions. Probably an Italian to English translation thing.

I work someplace where I once had to translate some English to Italian and Italian to English instructions manuals.

Something said in Italian "stir sweetly"... we had similar instructions in English to "agitate gently"...now we know why Italians are so romantic 😀

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I fitted used givi's on my wee, there was no nipple so i used a black plastic joiner from a underground watering system.

It was a good fit and i dumped that bike quite a few times, the bars bent into the fairing and the plastic joiner survived.

After each crash i would use a ratchet strap to pull the bars back out from the fairing and then i would change the nipple for a new one.

Each new nipple was filled with a putty like JB weld just to ensure extra strength.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I got rid of mine, I did a 3500 mile trip a couple years ago,and every single time the engine passed 3500 RPM, about 1,000 times a day, the vibration and noise drove me crazy. I vowed then to get something, anything different, and take them off.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Did you try calling Givi to see if they can send you the missing part? Mine came with o-rings at this connection and there is no vibration at any speed. The Ravetech skid plate I have definitely further solidifies this area and its two clamps might suffice to hold the crash bars together but I would still try to get the original nipple or something similar.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apologize in advance if this reply is not to the right response. I am not new to this forum but I am new to using this app in my phone (and don't care for it much to be honest).

Anyway. Thanks for the reply about using the underground pipe and JB Weld. I think I'll try something very similar and see if that eliminates that buzzing vibration. I am also going to use the trick I read about where you remove the spacer the bolt goes through and use three cut off bottoms of rubber tire valves instead.

I also may cut some pieces of thick craft foam and place them at the frame mounting points. Might not help but hopefully won't hurt ?

Thanks again Mate!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Byronw... I hear ya. That's essentially why mine have been off a few years. Bought bike in 2012. Those crash bars have probably been on my bike only about 18 months (riding months not calendar) of that time for the same reason.

Thought I'd give it another try though.

When you get old like me sometimes you get stubborn Haha.

Thanks for the reply
JD

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hogges

I contacted Givi via their web page form and haven't heard back from them yet. However, even if they cam sell me that part I think I am going to try the above mentioned water pipe/JB Weld method and see how that goes. (I will go ahead and buy the nipple if Givi will sell it to me...just in case)

Thanks much for the reply. You folks are awesome!

JD

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
"spray foam"

That stuff expands and sets up. May not be ideal. Silicone. RTV might be a good vibration suppressor.
The nipple is just a bridge. Any bit of metal and a couple bolts will hold the bars together.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would think it would be difficult to fill the entire length of the bars but I could be wrong.
Also - I think you'd still get a buzz - it would just come at a different RPM (frequency).

There's a harmonic resonance issue at work - plus maybe a crappy design

Thanks for the thinking outside the box though. :)
I appreciate it.

JD

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks - I was kinda thinking the same thing about the metal bit as the go between.

Again - appreciate the feedback! :)

JD

·
Registered
365 Posts
"spray foam"

That stuff expands and sets up. May not be ideal. Silicone. RTV might be a good vibration suppressor.
The nipple is just a bridge. Any bit of metal and a couple bolts will hold the bars together.
Yeah i dont actually know what kind of sounds/vibrations you guys get, just thought it would help dampen it a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found that the"nipple" was too long on mine. I trimmed .025" off the ends and before putting it back on I coated it with bearing retaining compound. No more vibration. I would think that it is rather important to have that in place in your bars.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ERockL and ChuckH - appreciate your feedback.

Where do you obtain that bearing compound? A parts store? Tractor Supply maybe ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts