StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I traded in my '08 VEE with 17,000 miles on a new Yamaha Super Tenere. I can honestly say that I LOVED my Vee. I'm still not there with the Tenere. I now have 2500 miles on the Tenere, and from a specification and build standpoint, it is a great bike. Why am I missing the Vee? For one, the Vee was an all day comfortable bike for me. Even with a lot of changes the Tenere still gives me back pain. The thing I really miss is FUN FACTOR. What is it about the Vee that make you smile every time you ride it??

Coming to terms with the fact that I may have made a mistake buying the Tenere, I am already starting to think about the new 650. I'd love some input from those who went from an older Vee or Wee to the new 650. What do you like better about the new model, and what do you miss from the old model? I really see myself back on a Strom in the future, so I'm doing some homework to see if the new 650 may be for me!

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Yours is truly a sad tale. Lose the one you love for the one you lust after and find the change to be disappointing.
The new stuff is always intriguing until the warts start to show. Just Dang.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Personally, I'm in no rush to go to a shaft-drive bike unless I'm heading for another coast.

By next year the "Mega Adventure Touring" should likely include the water-cooled BMW 1250GS, Triumph Explorer, S10, and word is that KTM is also working on a similar bike. Not to mention the Stelvio 1200 STX with its' 8.5 gallon tank. Pretty soon there will be more Adventure Posers than HD Pirates at this rate!

I think Suzuki really did a good job on the '12 DL650A. I wish they'd specified higher-ends suspension components, but that's pretty easy to remedy.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I went from a Honda cbr600rr to a Wee 2 and it makes me smile more than the cbr ever did! I have no complaints with it other than my butt going numb after an hour...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
359 Posts
Me too

I went from wee to vee to Tiger 1050. I'm seriously considering a wee or vee again. The tiger is great but has a few little things that are common problems. Chain noise, even with new sprockets and chain, difficult to get rid of wind buffeting, heat on legs in summer, takes high test fuel even though it says it can run on regular, b/s.
I saw a guy with a spankin new Tenere at the gap this year. Impressive looking bike but just too big and heavy in my book.
I feel for ya bro, just part of the affliction.................live and learn.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
About a month ago, I traded in my '08 VEE with 17,000 miles on a new Yamaha Super Tenere. I can honestly say that I LOVED my Vee. I'm still not there with the Tenere. I now have 2500 miles on the Tenere, and from a specification and build standpoint, it is a great bike. Why am I missing the Vee? For one, the Vee was an all day comfortable bike for me. Even with a lot of changes the Tenere still gives me back pain. The thing I really miss is FUN FACTOR. What is it about the Vee that make you smile every time you ride it??

Coming to terms with the fact that I may have made a mistake buying the Tenere, I am already starting to think about the new 650. I'd love some input from those who went from an older Vee or Wee to the new 650. What do you like better about the new model, and what do you miss from the old model? I really see myself back on a Strom in the future, so I'm doing some homework to see if the new 650 may be for me!
Before you rush and do another mistake:
Ask yourself honestly - why did I sell the bike that I loved?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I'd love some input from those who went from an older Vee or Wee to the new 650. What do you like better about the new model, and what do you miss from the old model? I really see myself back on a Strom in the future, so I'm doing some homework to see if the new 650 may be for me!
Wife bought the 2012, I stil have my '08, and she kept her Versys '08.
I've ridden the new wee a couple times, has great acceleration, feels like it just want to run for ever. The oem seat feels more comfortable at the begining, but I think it needs either an alaska pad or modification. The cluster is fine, controls are at the left finger where we have the Flash switch on older wee's. New shield is like any stock product, you like it or don't. Madstadt has a bracket that allows us to use older model shields, a big plus since the new shield is bolted differently. Some aftermarket products still bolt on, ( Crash Bars, skid plates, ). You need to research other items. In all this is a nice bike, by the end of riding season or next year more farkles should be available.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I went from a K6 to an L2 Wee.

It's got more get up and go than the older DL 650, it's smoother, it gets insane fuel economy if you ride it gently and I find it pretty comfortable - but if you miss the feral nature of the Vee at all I doubt it's going to be 'enough' to make up that difference.

On the other hand, I also looked at the S10 - which was going to be my next bike until the L2 Wee turned up. 20% less fuel burn and less weight and pretty much all the annoyances of the old Wee fixed were what sold the new Wee to me. But I wasn't looking for more power than the old Wee had.

Pete

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,262 Posts
While I have not sold the '03 Vee I plan to. The WeeII has the same "size" fit as far as seating position, footpegs, bars ( after my standard add ons ) as the Vee. I like that about the V Stroms. The '12 sure does feel a lot lighter than the given weights account for. Ride is a bit more firm than the Vee but MUCH better than the previous generation Wee. Plenty of power and I am averaging 23 mpg MORE than I did with the Vee. 215-220 miles is about where I fill up instead of 150 or so. The advantage the Vee had is power everywhere of course. IF I were one to cruise at 80mph with a load or passenger frequently the power of the Vee would be most welcome as the Wee is working much harder at that speed. Doesn't mean it won't do it, just a LOT of rpms and there isn't the jump forward when twisting the throttle. This may come as a surprise to some, but my Vee was hands down smoother engine wise at about any speed/rpm. With the clutch basket work I done and proper tuning the Vee is just smoother than the Wee. At 70 mph the Vee is loafing around in the low 4000 rpm range and you really don't feel the engine at all. The Wee is doing 5300 rpm or so at 70 and is buzzy to a slight degree. Even at lower rpms there is a buzz to the engine. I will be gearing the WeeII to lower highway rpms, I'll post about that later. So, going back to the smaller engine may leave some wanting for a bit more power at times, but the rest of the bike is so much better I don't think I'll really miss the power. Now, should Suzuki come out with an updated Vee with an all new fuel injection system, some other nice updates, and should I dream of shaft drive, I'll look at it very hard........

·
Registered
964 Posts
I went from an older (05) Vee directly to a 2012 Wee - rode to the dealer on the Vee, home on the Wee. They are very different bikes, IMO.

I had lean-running and chudder issues with my Vee. I "fixed" some of it, but not all. 2005 were the worst ECMs, too - and mine was OEM stock. My Vee was probably a worst-case runner. It was finicky about temp, humidity, and gas quality. When it ran well, it ran WELL - but it just didn't always run well.
That said, it had power and it was FUN to ride on the street. The power inspired confidence in traffic and on hills. Off pavement, it terrified me and always felt big, heavy, and hard to stop.

The Wee engine is beyond smooth. My mileage has gone from about 35mpg to about 54mpg (if that matters). I now have ABS, and it's kicked in already once (I skidded the Vee once or twice). The bike FEELS lighter and more flickable-rideable- planted to me (that could be new tires, new steering bearings, etc.). I've had it off pavement and actually ENJOYED it (instead of feeling out of control). The stock ergos feel slightly better to me (I'm still modifying anyway). All the hype is real: it's a great bike.

But: it's not the Vee. I have (and am still learning) to modify my riding technique. You have to use a LOT more throttle to get moving/ pass. You get the sense that you're "pushing" the bike and you will be running a lot more RPM - particularly on the highway with stock gearing. Loaded for camping going up steep hills you WILL notice the power loss. You will be shifting a LOT more, and THINKING more about managing your speed/ gear selection. There WILL be times you'll miss that power.

Like many things in life, a gain in one column comes at a loss in another. I'm a cheapskate commuter and infrequent weekend camper. I'm not a thrill-seeker. Getting better mileage and ABS are "worth it" to me. Even at that, I MISS that 30hp. If I were more of racer or 2-up tourer, that might tip the scales - the power loss might not be enough to offset the gains of the 650. Sorry that's not much of an answer, but it's true.

I bought the Vee with 14K on it, and the Wee (obviously) brand new. This may account for some of the perceived handling, smoothness, planted-feeling difference - I just don't know. I'm also 6'5", 285lb - my size and weight handicap the 650 more than a more average-sized rider or rider/pillion combo.

If Suzuki puts a new well-sorted engine and ABS on an updated Vee in 2013 or beyond, I'll be at least seriously CONSIDERING going back. THAT would be a tough call, IMO - coming down to trading MPG for power.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why did I buy the Tenere some ask? It had everything I wanted in my DL1000 such as shaft drive, better suspension, better brakes, ABS, updated dash, etc. What I DIDN"T expect was such a difference in ergonomics. The only thing I did ergonomically to my Vee was the Suzuki Gel seat, and put footpeg lowering kit on. I am on my third set of handlebar risers on the Super T, third set of handlebars, extra padding on the seat, etc, etc.. and still no where near as comfortable for me as my Vee was. Doesn't have the flickability of my Vee as it is heavier and bulkier. On the upside, the bike is very smooth, brakes and suspension are great, and gas mileage is 50+ mpg. I'm 56 and have disc degeneration in my back and for me the Vee was the first bike (of many including two Beemers) that I always felt comfortable on for long rides.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts