StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how many of you are out there in stromville. I really miss riding with you guys, one of most memorable riding years. I moved to Maine to care for parents, and here I sit. I posted my super Ten for sale, as a result or fracturing my femur, unrelated to biking. (does not look good for riding) We recently rode Nova Scotia, and all the way to Gaspe 2 years ago. Some fantastic riding and scenic views.

Maybe one of you old blokes will chime in.

happy trails

Clem

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Curt you out there? Keith , now I know you must be there, Greg how bout you? North central FL, some of you must still be

riding? Hope to hear back from you all. I was in Daytona last year for 2 weeks, but had a very tight schedule, did not make it to Tampa Bay.

I recently had a bad leg injury unrelated, so riding will be , well, not sure I can say it.

take care,

Clem

·
Registered
15,075 Posts
Clem, over here on the right coast doing time as a caregiver too. Sure cuts into the motorcycle play time, eh?
Hope you leg heals well. Try to keep a sense of humor and not go off as the parents get worse. No siblings to share the efforts?

Probably a different Greg.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg Pinkman, but I knew almost everyone who frequented this board. Yes maybe no riding for me at all. Selling the bike for now as to temp myself to ride. It has been my life for over 40 years. My folks would not move the FL so I moved back! yikes, not sure I would again.
take care
Clem

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Happy New Year, Clem. I hope you get back on wheels soon.

I remember northern winters very well. Indeed, I rode all winter through twenty-five of them,
commuting to school and to work in Toronto Ontario Canada. Yeah, I know, Maine is colder.

I had a symbolic visit to Maine in the fall of 2018. A passing illness gave me vertigo, shortness of breath, and an astonishing decrease in stamina. I thought I was in Old Town, Maine! That is the name of a real city in Maine, and indeed I have physically visited Old Town twice: by car with parents and grandparents in 1951, and by V-Strom en route to Newfoundland in 2007. It's a nice place to visit, but not when illness made me feel 176 instead of just 76. All symptoms disappeared after a few days, and I don't wanna go back!

Stay warm, and prepare for some fun rides in 2019. If you can make contact with Black Lab, aka Barry Buchanan, in Mount Desert ME, you will enjoy his company. I think you and he would easily find things to do together.

Best wishes to you and your fine lady!
Keith

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy New Year to you Keith!

I am looking at buying one of those smaller bikes that you had when I was in Florida last time as my femur fracture won't handle much more. I have yet to sell my bike here, but I have really enjoyed having it. I have toured most of NB to Gaspe and back, Riviere Du Loup, Baie St Paul, Shawinagan. I have toured most parts of the New England states as well. New Hampshire, Vermont and Upper State NY being the best. Maine is bigger than all other New England states combined, therefore harder to meet up with folks being so spread out. Are you still riding? I am hoping to do the same. Are you still in the same area?
Take care my Friend,
Clem

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello Ironmorph, lots of great riding here in Maine. You should definitely get back on a bike in the spring and enjoy it here. I am in Southern Maine and as soon as the roads are clear of salt will be back on the road.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! I will be in touch, or you give me a shout! I would like to have a possee like we did in Florida. Great times!

Clem

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Yes, Clem, I am enjoying my little bikes a lot. I have a 2008 CBR-125, a model that never was available in USA, so I bought it through a friend in Canada. This peppy little number carries me at up to 70 MPH and sometimes a tad more on I-75. Two days ago, I saw it nudge 10,000 RPM in top gear, at just over 80 MPH. Pretty zippy for 13 tiny horses.

My CBR-250 is much the same, but the cavity in the center of the engine is a tad bigger, so it tops 90 MPH readily.

One day in 2010, I rode with a devoted rider of CBR-125s. That day he was riding an Iron Butt, 1000 miles in 24 hours. He rode the same or another CBR-125 from Windsor Ontario to Key West to Deadhorse at the top of Alaska and back to Key West, all in the month of June 2011. Another time, he rode one 1500 miles, just barely completing the mission in one calendar day. I think he went west on I-80 for 750 miles, then back to his starting point. Dedicated fella!

I have studied 300-cc models of Yamaha, Honda, BMW (!), and Kawasaki, and my favorite so far is the Kawasaki Versys-x, a 296-cc twin that looks much like our wonderful Wee-Stroms, with included luggage rack and windshield. You know the color of most Kawasaki bikes: a vivid green that I have never really relished (yeah, it's the color of some relishes), so I asked my wife for some witchly help, and begorrah, they made a red one for me, for the 2018 model year only, I think. Maybe, when I generate some room in my garage ... (anyone want a 1965 Honda Super Hawk?).

I hope you heal strong and soon!
Keith

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Don't overlook the CB500x. Better fuel mileage than the Versy and much lower cruising RPM. A bit heavier ( 390 versus 440 lb ) but better torque and much lower cruise RPM and very long range between fills.
This year with 19" front wheel.

I love my red one and the top load Shad side cases only add 6 lb and will fit a 15" laptop.

We had a long discussion on another forum and much came down to a combination of poor fuel mileage at speed and too high rpm at 60 mph for the Versys. 7100 rpm is just not on.

Versus 4800 -5000 rpm on the CB500x AND significantly better fuel mileage and range.

It was a very good downsize for me from my liter bike, lighter weight, longer range, cheaper to run yet rock stable at 80 mph+

For Australia I'd certainly consider the Verys to replace the KLR650 but not for my North American riding.

And the CB500x holds it's own against the Wee...something I was surprised at.
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/254474/2013-suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-2013-honda-cb500x-comparison-test/

People do distance on the low CC bikes but to what end.?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Keith,
The Winter snows have me tucked in, much to my dismay, but I have researching the same bikes. The Kawasaki versys 300 and most recently the Z 400 looks quite appealing. I am not a fan of the green either, nor black, which makes me think of painting it. The super Ten has been a blast, and way more bike than I would ever need. I can no longer hold that much weight up, as my left leg has been resistant to heal as quickly as my mind wants it to. I have been riding the Northeast though, and Canada as well. I am hoping to Winter there at some point, and perhaps we'll cross paths once again.

take care
Clem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts