StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I dropped my bike the other day, I thought everything was fine. However my right-side mirror loosened as I went over a small bump on the road. Now I cannot get it to stick. The wind just swivels it inward. Is this easy to repair, or do I need entirely new mirror? Perhaps take some duct tape to it for the meantime? Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Extremely simple fix. Simply pull the rubber boot up off the bottom of the mirror stem, close to where it attaches to the handle bar. That will expose a few nuts, get the mirror in the desired position and simply tighten the base nut to secure the mirror then tighten the upper nut to lock it in position. I believe it is a 16 or 17mm. Now, pull the boot back down over the assembly and enjoy the view in front and behind you.:thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The bottom base nut has a normal right hand thread. The nut above it that holds the mirror in place has a left hand thread. You may need the hold the base nut in place while tightening the top nut as that action wants to loosen the bottom nut.

·
Registered
964 Posts
On my last bike (Vee) I put a lot of miles riding around town/ commuting/ etc. Finally I had my first "big" trip, got on the turnpike to put miles behind me quickly (PA turnpike traffic generally goes 80-85mph).

When I hit 85mph, both my mirrors folded back.

Didn't have appropriate wrenches on the bike, ended up having to buy some enroute. It's VERY annoying (/dangerous), but as said, an easy fix.

Deal with it NOW before you have them flipping around on you at an inopportune time. Make sure they're solid at highway speeds before you take off on a long trip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that worked! My first ever repair on a motorcycle. I once read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I wanted to be as good as the guy in that book. I'm clearly not. But with the wealth of knowledge in these forums and perhaps a torque wrench, I may get there one day!

·
Registered
652 Posts
When I put my mirror extenders on I added blue locktite to each bolt/threaded area. I didn't want them folding on me.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those big mirrors, which were the same as on my 2004 Vee Strom, are the cause of some of the buffeting we experience. Mirror extenders or different (smaller) shaped mirrors will eliminate buffeting the OEM one's cause.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Thanks, that worked! My first ever repair on a motorcycle. I once read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I wanted to be as good as the guy in that book. I'm clearly not. But with the wealth of knowledge in these forums and perhaps a torque wrench, I may get there one day!
BEWARE the torque wrench can lead to some very costly repairs...
... in the hands of the unawares...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The protagonist in Zen wasn't a very good mechanic.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I couldn't get through five chapters in that book, put me to sleep.

On topic, I didn't notice any difference in buffeting at all from the mirror extenders. I had such crummy mirrors on the 'ole BMW, you only got a real blurry view of your hand grips and shoulders, that the Wee mirrors seem like HDTV to me. I can actually see clearly with them and even what type of vehicles are behind me. That's helpful if you're trying to figure out if that Impala behind you is cop or not.

I'm getting ready to put blind spot mirrors on them as all of my vehicles have, saves a lot of head turning and lost of concentration up front...they should be standard equipment on ALL vehicles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts