StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it’s buried in the thousands of pages but obviously easier to ask fresh. New to me 16 Adventure and big ole mirrors gotta go. Extenders and new mirrors seem to be popular but couldn’t find a quick mirror suggestion. Anybody have a the world’s greatest mirrors installed vs OEM?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Yep, Aprilia makes them. There are Ebay knock-offs, too, but these are the real deal, and worth every penny. This link will show the left side mirror, scroll down a little for the right side.
https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=6254

They look a ton better, they are wider, they don't vibrate, and they'll help move some air buffeting away from your body. I've had this pair if mirrors on 2 bikes now, they are my answer.

Steve.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,146 Posts
While the Aprilia mirrors are a popular switch, they are not installed for better view but to cut down on turbulence. The factory mirrors are actually some of the best motorcycle mirrors you can get! I put a set on a BMW RT I had. If you want a large field of vision and good optical quality it is simply hard to beat the factory mirrors.

If you are worried about looks, well it IS a V STrom........

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Really? I never give them a thought. Maybe not sport bike stylish, but very functional and solid.

Is that comment on their appearance, that they need extenders, or is it something else?
All that you mention I hate, and the buffeting is worse as well.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
From my experience, the Aprilia mirrors I linked do provide a better view in that they are placed out farther away from the centerline of the bike. I see more of what is behind me, and less of my arms and shoulders. (I'm 6' tall, 200 pounds, and I wear a riding jacket at all times, to help compare my physical stature and the resulting view in the mirrors.)

Sidebar- when I set mine up, I used a straightedge across the stalks as an aiming device to mount and angle the mirror stalks to the position I wanted them in (the upper bend of the stalks are about parallel with each other on my bike), then I adjust the mirror head accordingly for the rear view. This gives a balanced looking, professional installation appearance.

Love or hate the appearance of a VStrom, it does have its own sculpted look. The factory mirrors, although generous in the square inches of glass and potential view (if they had longer stalks moving the mirrors out farther, hence Rick's great extender product), they are an afterthought lacking any harmonious design. (Cough... it's a VStrom...) A rectangle on a stalk. They look out of place on this bike. They'd be fine on a mid-'70s UJM. (They probably came from the '70s UJM parts bin.)

And although the Aprilia mirrors may not have the gross square inches of the stock mirrors, they have plenty of glass for the job, they look infinitely better in their shape and wider placement, and they provide a more effective view of what it behind me, as if the bike design team actually took time and designed a usable mirror to compliment the design of the bike. (Now if we could get them to design a saddle appropriate for the human anatomy rather than a one that simply follows the lines of the bike... it's nothing but a padded body panel. "Hello, Russell DayLong? Build me some good function over form!")

I'm mainly a function-over-form sorta guy, but these mirrors serve both function and form- a wider view, and much better looking design. At least for me.

Steve.

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Or, as Raul Julia said in Gumball Rally, "What's behind me is not important!"
I never minded the stock mirrors and after a crash, the cheap-o replacements are fine too.

I got Emgo mirrors, work fine last a long time. Did I mention cheap?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Definitely get the mirror extenders.

In the meantime, this thread has some good info and at the bottom there is this side by side photo of a couple of the options.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/5330619-post33.html

I'm currently still on the Bike Masters, not sure I'll stick with them yet. Need more summertime experimenting. However, I don't think I'll go back to the Aprilias, if you want to go that route PM me...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Really? I never give them a thought. Maybe not sport bike stylish, but very functional and solid.

Is that comment on their appearance, that they need extenders, or is it something else?
As a slightly wider (and taller) than average guy, I can say that the factory mirrors are simply too close to the bike centerline. Before I installed your extenders, I would have to move my head sideways to be able to see traffic coming up behind me or lingering there. It is much better to be able to see that zone with a glance or even with peripheral vision. It is a safety and peace-of-mind improvement. (I want to always know what my evasion options are.)

Turbulence reduction is a bonus.

They could be prettier, but then they would look out of place on the V-Strom.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely get the mirror extenders.

In the meantime, this thread has some good info and at the bottom there is this side by side photo of a couple of the options.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/5330619-post33.html

I'm currently still on the Bike Masters, not sure I'll stick with them yet. Need more summertime experimenting. However, I don't think I'll go back to the Aprilias, if you want to go that route PM me...
I sent you a pm.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I used "Napoleon Long Stem Mirrors" since a few months after getting my first V-Strom in 2006. (I forget her name but there was a lady that rode a Strom and put some crazy mileage on it and she recommended them.) Those and a Madstad Bracket fixed any issues I had with Turbulence and I used them on all three of my Stroms. They were getting tired and no longer made and I looked for alternatives. Many of the copies were not **convex** so useless for seeing things around when in traffic (isn't that what mirrors are for?)

In August of 2017 My wife and I stopped in a WOW Motorcycles in Marietta, Georgia and found some decent copies that were properly convex. I have used them since. They aren't sexy or trendy but provide great field of view and along with my mirror extenders give me great visibility.

With the extenders they go out nice and far and since I am a big boy they give me great visibility.

Here is a picture from google Streetview and you can see how they are out nice and far:

..Tom

·
Vendor
4,683 Posts
I often wonder why Suzuki used two different but similar mirrors. In addition to the less than flattering mirrors on our V-Stroms they put a similar but different mirror on the DR bikes.

These are similar, but not as attractive as the mirrors on Yamaha FJ-09s, MT09s, etc. I had an FJ-09 and made a different kind of extender because the rear view if you can believe it was even worse than the stroms. As delievered about 20% of the mirror is not filled by your shoulders. The extenders get usefulness up to about 85%.

It seems as if there should be an attractive economical mirror out there that extends for enough not to need an extender or cause buffeting to the riders head, but it seems they all suffer from being too short or fugly, or too sort and fugly.

If someone would promise to buy 1000 of them I'm sure we could have some made to spec. LOL

Actually, why don't we see what people really want and I'll see what can be done. Might it just be the Aprilia style with a longer stem?

·
Vendor
4,683 Posts
I like the idea of mirror like these because I hate being the guy riding down the highway with his blinker on. They have indicator on both sides. Should make it harder to miss that forgotten signal. I don't know about the wires inside the stem, but otherwise they could use the same style extender I made for the FJ-09.

I guess it would be even better if the maker agreed to make a batch that were long enough in the first place.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INDICATOR-UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-LEFT-RIGHT-REARVIEW-MIRROR-WITH-LED-TURN-SIGNAL/201660864012?fits=Make%3AAprilia&hash=item2ef3ec960c:g:WvwAAOSwubRXMpYv

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
I like the idea of mirror like these because I hate being the guy riding down the highway with his blinker on. They have indicator on both sides. Should make it harder to miss that forgotten signal. I don't know about the wires inside the stem, but otherwise they could use the same style extender I made for the FJ-09.

I guess it would be even better if the maker agreed to make a batch that were long enough in the first place.
If you come up with a deal on something like these for the V-Strom, I will have two pairs - one for my Versys. I'm getting forgetful, and having a rogue indicator on is dangerous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mirror extensions

I love the suggestions on alternate mirrors and a recommended source. Unfortunately, they only offer right hand thread. My 2014 has 10 x 1.25 reverse thread on the right side.

Can anyone point me toward a source for a cap screw or set of extenders that has a left hand thread option?

The extension on the left using the right hand thread works awsome. This just serves to remind me that there's so much more to see behind my right shoulder.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
just in case you want to cheap out and buy the ebay knock offs of the Aprilla mirrors.....don't. They are just plain shitty. Even for 15 bucks they are not worth it.
Mine cheap Aprilia knock offs have been great, 2 years and still going strong. I'll just get another set if these take a crap on me, for another $16 I am still way way ahead of the real thing in price. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts