StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, another one popped into my head. The mirror stalks and how they mount.

The right side of this bike I'm looking at has a different angle then the left side. The right looks to have the master cylinder attached to it as well as the actual front brake lever so it's not moving in any orientation.

But the left (clutch) side looks like it's independent and simply has a hex head bolt and it can rotate.

Would these have been identical for mounting from the factory? Or did the owner possibly dork with them putting on the handguards and not get them lined back up evenly?

And then the left guard, the little mushroom bolt top on the left he used a nut instead and overtightened it so much he ran the nut THROUGH the handguard plastics. :confused: AND, the bottom nut is missing.

Thoughts?

Thanks! (and yes, these are fun bikes coming from a big old R1150GS)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think these two shot best show what I'm talking about.... Is this a big deal in the big picture or a simple thing? The handguard installation just bugs me.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Both mirrors have the same mounts. The two silver parts trap a cone on the stalk and may be Loctited together. The heads have limited mobility and the mounts have to be fixed within a small arc to give a proper view. The bases are at different heights.

It appears some handguard nuts and washers were lost and not properly replaced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Both mirrors have the same mounts. The two silver parts trap a cone on the stalk and may be Loctited together. The heads have limited mobility and the mounts have to be fixed within a small arc to give a proper view. The bases are at different heights.

It appears some handguard nuts and washers were lost and not properly replaced.
This is what I was talking about on the mirror mount post...........
I tried to break the thread on the two "silver" parts. I think the PO must have locktited these things with JB Weld. I place the lower nut in a Workmate Workbench and tightened down as much as I could. Put a wrench on the top nut and tried to break it loose..........no go. All it did was strip out the wood on the bench vise. Drat!:headbang: Can't thread them back in to the bike clamps or I will strip the threads. Can't use the mirror extenders either.......mirrors are oriented the wrong way facing inside, and no way to adjust them. Mirrors now useless.
Tuesday when the motorcycle dealers open, I am going to take both mirrors to the shop and see it their mechanics can get them loose..........otherwise it is order new mirrors and that costs about $140 on Bike Bandit.

Some people use too much Locktite or the wrong strength. A little goes a long way!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Heat defeats Loctite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts