StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find good replacement mirrors but have yet to see any that I like. What I am going for is something that is lower and smaller, less in the way. I thought about maybe mounting some on the fairing but couldn't find any pics or anything to see how it looked. Anyone mount mirrors on the fairing? I have also looked at some bar end mirrors but don't know if I like those yet. Anyway, throw me some ideas and maybe some pics of what you guys have. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I installed a set of different mirrors today. They are almost the same width as the stock ones but considerably lower profile. They look pretty slick and they have made a marked improvement in airflow around my helmet but they vibrate pretty bad. You can still tell if there are cars behind you but you can't tell what it is.

"Was that Gramma in her Dodge Stratus, or a cop, or a moving van back there?" :lol:

·
Registered
383 Posts
i have the OEM mirrors on my Wee, but I saw someone on here had a set of KTM Duke mirrors, definetly looked sharp. I've had bar end mirrors before on some of my bikes and they're okay as long as you don't split tight lines. I also found it took some getting used to looking by my wrist for my rearward view but got used to it over time...Definetly check out the KTM mirrors, look great!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will I need new mounts or anything for the emgos? I like those the best so far and the price isn't bad either :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
bigtallguy said:
Will I need new mounts or anything for the emgos? I like those the best so far and the price isn't bad either :D
They're direct replacements - same thread size. Just call Dennis Kirk, they'll hook you up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered them from Dennis Kirk today. I will see about posting pics when I get them on. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm, don't exactly work out of the box :( . I think you meant to give me part numbers 2025171 and 2025172. The ones I got look almost the same so I am going to try and make them work and see what happens. The major difference is there are no threads on the bottom, just a metal tube thing that will fit a bolt through it. I plan to get the right legth of bolt and hopefully it will work and look ok enough to keep.

Any tips to keep them functional with a bolt holding them down? I want them to be tight but if I do that I won't be able to adjust them. Hmmmm, more to come......

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, got them on.
[/img]

I had to finangle the bolt through the metal thing in the mirror because it was a little too small to slide through. This was the hardest part because the metal tube rotated inside the plastic preventing me from threading it easily. Finally drilled a hole through the plastic and into the metal tube, then inserted a small screw to hold the metal still while I threaded the bolt through. After that is was just a bolt on project.
[/img]

The bottoms are a little bigger round than the mounts but you really don't notice until you really look. I am also probably going to paint the bolts on top black to blend them in better, but they don't look that bad to me so I may leave them.

As far as function, they don't offer the big square of a view like the stockers did but they are convex so you see enough to the sides. My arms take up half of the mirror on each side but I learned to live with that on the stockers so this isn't really much of a change. There is minimal vibration when accelerating through 3-4000rpms, but that is probably when you are least likely to be looking behind you 8)

Overall I like them a lot. What I wanted was sleeker and lower profile and that's what I got. Thanks for everyones help :D

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
I don't suppose you would have the part # would you? How have they worked for you? Thanks................

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
At Cycle Gear last week, saw some bar end mirrors. They would have sat a bit low for me- I think they'd be best for a sportbiker or a cruiser with ape-hangers- but they're an option. I think Aerostich also sells bar end mirrors.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have the KTM mirrors. For a visual check out www.mpcycledesign.com

Page down to the yellow bike. It gives you front and rider view.

They are rock solid. You can see they are out to the end of the bars so rear viewing is completely un-abstructed.

KTM has two sizes. Those are the smaller of the two. Larger style are a little rounder. With all the hardware they bolt right on with no fuss.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
KTM Duke II Mirrors

They are rock solid. You can see they are out to the end of the bars so rear viewing is completely un-abstructed.

KTM has two sizes. Those are the smaller of the two. Larger style are a little rounder. With all the hardware they bolt right on with no fuss.
Where did you get the Parts ? How much do you invested in all Mounts, clamps, Mirrors, etc, shipping included ?

You don't even see you forearms(even slightly) or any part of your body in the mirrors ? Did you sacrifice anything you had with the OEM mirrors ?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Where did you get the Parts ? How much do you invested in all Mounts, clamps, Mirrors, etc, shipping included ?

You don't even see you forearms(even slightly) or any part of your body in the mirrors ? Did you sacrifice anything you had with the OEM mirrors ?
I bought them at a local dealer. $83 for mirrors and mounts. I am sure you can get at a KTM dealer on-line.

I don't see my arms or even my girl friend on back. NO sacrifice. Lower profile, less wind, Solid.

I have used cheap mirrors $20-30 a set and won't again.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts

Thanks for the tip, awd505.

I believe you mentioned this on another thread and now I know which KTM mirrors you were talking about. I went to a KTM dealer and he believes the model will fit right in the Suz mount. I just have to decide whether I want the Supermoto or Super Duke style (although they may be the same; hard to tell on KTM site). $35 Cdn a side.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You will need the adapters which I think are $25 for the set.

It appears what is on ktm site is the larger version. What I have may be 2006 models and 2007 slightly larger. I was considering the larger but went with the small. Either one I would be quite pleased with and think anyone else will also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's what the barend mirrors from Cycle Gear looks like on the strom..

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
KTM Super Duke mirrors

I just ordered the Super Duke mirrors (long and low, with aero style), which requires the mounting adaptor, as awd505 says.

Unfortunately, the mirrors are coming soon but the adaptor is on back order until the end of July at the distributor. Argh!

Cost in Cdn $: $35 per mirror, and $21 per side (yipes!) for the adaptors. Comes to about $112. Pricey but it's from a KTM dealer in Toronto.

Frankly I can't wait till I can see straight back without looking around the mountains. More important, I'm hoping it removes a not insignificant amount of buffeting over the stock barn doors, er, mirrors.

ETA: I'll attach pix when installed.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I had to wait for the adaptors also back in Feb. Now that you remind me the adaptors were pricey. I paid $23.84 per adaptor. Seems way over priced. $28.78 per mirror was reasonable. Since KTM used the adaptor to mount to the bikes, it seems silly they are b/o for a month, but have the mirrors. Have you tried locating them else where, on-line maybe.

ktm part # search found:
58412040050 "support for mirror" same discription as on my receipt for $16.50
58712041100 r/h mirror $26.25
58712040100 l/h same price

ktmhut ships out of North Dakota

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Inexpensive Mirror Option

Thought I might share a small find I made at the local Autozone. The great thing about these is that not only are they convex, they are adjustable by simply twisting them. If you notice, they don’t lay perfectly flat. Rather, they lay at an angle and by rotating them you can choose to concentrate the image more towards your blind spot or further outward from the bike. Either way, they gather a pretty wide field of vision.

I mounted them in this position because the area they cover up normally only shows a useless picture of my arms extending towards the handlebars. Also, several of the other convex style mirrors on the rack recommended this position on the back of the package.
Price: $2.99/ea @ Autozone. Hot Spots Item # 49104 .

Convex - Right Side-cropped.JPG Convex - 49104 -Packages-cropped.JPG

1 - 20 of 63 Posts