StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 06 DL650. This bike, like others I have owned, having the stock mirrors offers a poor view to the rear. I looked at different ideas from new mirrors to bolt on extensions but thought I would give it a try.

Here's what I came up with: First I cut the mirror shaft in two to leave aprox two equal lengths on the straight run of the shaft. My first thoughts were to sleeve a piece of thin wall tubing over the two ends to make the extension. After cutting the mirror shaft I discovered the shaft was tubular. I had a couple four inch stove bolts sitting around and discovered the bolt inserted snugly into the shaft. I cut the head off each bolt which left me with a sort of all-thread. I ended up gluing with JBWELD this piece of threaded rod into each end of the mirrors I cut in half. I dry fitted first and settled on two inches between original cut of mirror shaft which gave me a two inch extension over stock. I also coated the showing threads with glue to help build up this extension to the diameter of mirror shaft. With some sanding and a coat of spray paint they look like new only longer.
LJ

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Thats a cool idea.

Do the mirrors bounce now though? If that rod gets too long i can imagine that happening. Maybe it's not long enough to matter.

Must be scary to cut a perfectly fine mirror shaft in half for an experiment. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I thought of photos but my camera is on loan to my brother. I'll have it back tonight so I can take a shot of finished mirrors.

I was determined to fix these one way or another. Like I said I was going to sleeve a thin tube over the shaft at first. When I saw the shaft was tubular and found a bolt fit inside I thought this way I could have the mirrors look the same only longer. They are every bit as stable & maybe stronger than before. The two inches I settled on was just right for me.

I used mostly JB WELD to build up the shaft diameter plus a little finish BONDO. I left the mirrors bolted up the whole time. I held the mirror portion and made the cut with a hack saw. Once apart I fitted the bolt inside the two parts and cut alittle off the bolt length to get the two inch space. I also used some tape to hold them in place while the glue set up. I sat on the bike and made sure they were set close to where they would stay. Of course you still have some adjustment but I wanted to get them set close just in case.

That's about it. Real easy to do.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
My approach to mirrors is different.
I don't adjust them so I can see the lane behind me, but so that I have no blindspot in the lane next to me.
Looking directly behind me with that setup involves moving my head to the side so I can see in the mirror, or turning my torso sideways and glancing backward.

This way of adjusting mirrors is much safer, as it will prevent you from changing lanes into "unexpected" trailers; adjust your blind-spot check routine to check two-lanes over instead of directly next to you.

On bikes where the mirrors really suck (not a strom, unless your torso/shoulders are five feet wide), then you need extenders. The kawi ex500 is an example.

In any case, I had a question: does it help with the buffeting? Do you have to constantly readjust you rmirrors because they fold in (either due to wind or to scraping the ground in corners)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great to hear the mirrors work OK for you.

Are far as buffeting goes I didn't notice any change. I solved the buffet issue for me by putting a 3/4 spacer under lower mounts on stock shield. I believe the shield just sits to straight up and down.

Here a couple pictures (not real good) of finished mirrors.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts