StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to share with fine folks of this forum my latest farkle.
I had some down time at work. Found 1/2 aluminium stock...
I though what a great idea to try to make some extenders.
M8x1.25 tap helped secure OE mirrors in place and couple (ugly for now) bolts.
These extenders came out to be 2-1/4". I didn't even measure anything, pure SWAG approach.
Now I have to re-adjust the way I check mirrors. :thumbup:

Cheers...

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just don't understand the number of non-functional motorcycle mirrors!! Those extenders are actually long enough. My VStrom mirrors are on a shelf on my tool box stand. Took them off to try and the wind noise and turbulence dropped incredibly, so I went to bar ends. I imagine moving them outboard helps greatly, too.

·
Vendor
4,692 Posts
Yep, mirror extenders make a huge difference on V-Stroms. I think the stock mirrors are chosen to look best in the showroom, not for best function.

Mirror extenders can not only drammatically increase your ability to see past your shoulder, but also reduce the noise experienced by the rider.

One correction. The mirror studs are M10 x 1.25. These are a little hard to find in your normal hardware shop, but at least they are both right hand thread. Handlebar switchgear varies between models. Soem can use the method shown and others require risers to give the switches adequate clearance.

If you want some bolt on ready mirror extenders go here. Suzuki Mirror Extenders - AdventureTech, LLC.

If you want to make your own you will need zinc coated or stainless bolts (they look very similar). Don't use black-oxide bolts.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,150 Posts
I'll add that I have had a set of Rick's AdventureTech mirror extenders for several years. While you can mount them to move the mirror further out and get a better view, I stumbled onto moving the mirror more or less straight back which had a noticeable effect on lowering turbulence from them ( yes greywolf, I mentioned mirror and turbulence in the same sentence. Will punish myself later....). So experiment with that and see if you can find a happy medium.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
You very wisely didn't write windscreen or buffeting though. :kiss:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Had I used M10x1.25 tap, I'd have wasted extensions I fabricated.
It sounds strange, but the tap I used was M8x1.25mm.

So far I like extensions. I never complained about buffeting or other aerodynamic issues on my Vee. But not seeing my elbows and shoulders is a clear benefit when scanning what's behind me.

Cheers...

·
aka Rick in Alabama
503 Posts
Nice job on the home-growns.

My mirror extenders were worth the cost. They didn't do anything for wind management but they do get the mirrors out to where I can better see behind me.

·
38,049 Posts
I don't see how that is possible unless you had aftermarket mirrors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just found out that the tap I used was from HeliCoil kit designed for M8x1.25 thread helicoil. I am still scratching my head how come did it work for M10x1.25 thread...

·
38,049 Posts
Apparently the Helicoil with an M8x1.25 ID has an M10x1.25 OD. If so, you are lucky. If it was something else, you would have buggered the mirror perch and would have had to Helicoil it. >:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Royal Enfield Bar-end Mirror did the trick

I used a handlebar mirror from a Royal Enfield. My parts guy at the Suzuki dealer gave it to me for free as it had been dropped and had a scratch. Took less than 10 mins to install and really has made a huge difference. I only have one so I fitted it to my left hand bar so that I could see vehicles directly behind me as well as ones that might be overtaking me. I live in the US now but the same mirror could easily be fitted to the right hand bar so my colonial cousins could see who is sneaking up on them on their right. I spent 2 yrs in Oz and 31 yrs in the UK so I know which is the right side of the road to drive on. The left side of course! The best part is that it really is unobtrusive and doesn't stick out much more than the handlebars. I would attach photos but I can't get them down to 19.5kb which is the limit on this blog.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you want to make your own you will need zinc coated or stainless bolts (they look very similar). Don't use black-oxide bolts.
Great looking extenders. You could also tap them for a Ram Mount ball if you wanted to mount any of the handy gadgets that use those. I think they use the same tap/thread size but not certain. Caution on stainless bolts: Installed "dry" (unlubricated) into aluminum, the threads can "gall" and become so stuck you'll never get them out. So either grease the threads first or use cadmium-plated bolts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have extenders too but I want to think that Wee mirrors have been designed to survive a drop on a trail or dirt road and come out unscathed. Hence their inability to properly see behind you. But I have been wrong before--oh, so wrong!

C

1 - 15 of 15 Posts